Wii Key - Gamecube SD Gecko - PS2 HDAdvance/HDloader Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
benderx
Next-Gen

Re: Gamecube and PS2 Mod Guide: Alternate Media

Post by benderx »

I'm having lots of fun with hdloader. I tried open ps2loader and doesn't seem much difference. I tried to get Yukuza and Darkstalkers Collection to work, but crashes. They both boot up fine. Dakrstalkers choose a game loading screen just stalls there. Yukuza main character fmv cutscene police catch him on scene, then the game freezes. I was going to buy Yukuza for ps2 a few years back still can. Im not sure if Yukuza 2 has the same problem. I tried ToxicOS... same results. I think I have tried it with swapmagic same. Has anyone ever gotten these games to work?
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Check this link: http://list.sksapps.com/index.php?page=indexy.html

Looks like you need HDLoader 8c for Vampire Darkstalkers Collection and Yakuza. Hit Select and try different modes such as Disable Network Support. Yakuza 2 is a DVD9 double layer disc. It can only be installed through the PC, but doesn't look like it will load.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

CRTGAMER wrote:Check this link: http://list.sksapps.com/index.php?page=indexy.html

Looks like you need HDLoader 8c for Vampire Darkstalkers Collection and Yakuza. Hit Select and try different modes such as Disable Network Support. Yakuza 2 is a DVD9 double layer disc. It can only be installed through the PC, but doesn't look like it will load.

same results for selecting modes. I'll wait until they update ps2 openloader
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Awesome guides, CRT! Thanks for the time you've put in!

My next project is a soft-modded PS2 and I was curious about game sizes.
I'm gonna be working with around an 80GB HD. From the pics, I've seen sizes of 3GB and 8GB. Is this the general spectrum for the PS2 library? I'd love to just pack in as much of my collection as possible (over 100!) and preserve the life of my laser!

Also, just to be certain - it IS possible to rip directly from the PS2 to the HD w/out having to go through my PC at the cost of slower conversion speeds? Or am I missing this entirely? :?:
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Wow! That looks interesting, a PS2 software beta video upscaler? Now if it would only run installed games. Anything above 480p may give problems though. I already have the XPloder HD Player, a mixed result PS2 software upscaler. Its reviewed at my CRT vs LCD signature link.

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Awesome guides, CRT! Thanks for the time you've put in!

My next project is a soft-modded PS2 and I was curious about game sizes.
I'm gonna be working with around an 80GB HD. From the pics, I've seen sizes of 3GB and 8GB. Is this the general spectrum for the PS2 library? I'd love to just pack in as much of my collection as possible (over 100!) and preserve the life of my laser!

Also, just to be certain - it IS possible to rip directly from the PS2 to the HD w/out having to go through my PC at the cost of slower conversion speeds? Or am I missing this entirely? :?:
You can install games directly to the PS2. Place the game disc in the PS2 tray when prompted. PS2 Silver DVD discs have a maximum size of 4gb, most seem to fall in at 2 to 3gbs. The few PS2 Gold DVD9 discs have a max size of 8gb, these can only be installed through the PC. The PS2 Blue CD games are under 800mb.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

Wow, I didn't realize the PS2 had gold backed DVD9s. I thought they went the 2 DVD5 route.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I wish there was a ps1 HDloader for ps2 HDD. I get tired of gameshark intro, you can't bypass there commercial only on the ps1. I got my ps2 reset strip in the mail today because mine fell off accidentally, hope it works. I also bought a ps1 s-video cable and results on a standard non hd tv seem minimal difference. I tried the ps3 smooth with s-video and it does make the ps1 games look sharp. Of course i knew about ps1 smooth texture since ps2.
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

I wanted to let everyone know I have a 1TB drive working successfully via the SATA adapter I crammed into my network adapter awhile back. It works in both OPL and in the patched version of HD Loader that comes in the FreeMCBoot noobie kit.

On a slightly related note, even though I've been using HD Loader most of the time since starting this adventure, I'm very much starting to prefer Open PS2 Loader:
+Very easy to add it to system that is already using the FMCB Noobie kit.
+Faster program start-up
+Easy to install and change themes
+Optional disc and cover art in the menus
+Built-in HDL server gives faster transfer rates from HDL Dump/Dumb than the official HDL Dump Server does.

A few downsides though:
-Some games that already barely work on HDL aren't working in OPL yet.
-Doesn't copy games directly from the PS2's DVD drive as far as I can tell, so you'll have to keep HDL around for that, or use HDL Dump to rip the games using your computer.

CRTGAMER wrote:Wow! That looks interesting, a PS2 software beta video upscaler? Now if it would only run installed games.
If I'm not mistaken, the OPL team is hoping to build it into future versions at some point. Should be interesting if they do.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

flamepanther wrote:I'm very much starting to prefer Open PS2 Loader:
+Very easy to add it to system that is already using the FMCB Noobie kit.
+Faster program start-up
+Easy to install and change themes
+Optional disc and cover art in the menus
+Built-in HDL server gives faster transfer rates from HDL Dump/Dumb than the official HDL Dump Server does.

Another humongous advantage is that you can quit games and boot into ulaunch with L1, L2, R1,R2, select, start. (works for most games)
What you then need to do is make a quick launch button in ulaunch for OPL and then click that button. For instance start.

So while playing a game booted from OPL, press L1, L2, R1,R2, select, start. Then just keep the start button pressed and voila, you´re back in OPL again!
Last edited by d123456 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389