Wii Key - Gamecube SD Gecko - PS2 HDAdvance/HDloader Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Key - Gamecube SD Gecko - PS2 HDAdvance/HDloader Gui

Post by flojocabron »

Hey.

I have need of some buying assistance!

I already have a PS2 with a harddrive in it.

I recently had a second modem come into my collection. I had an extra hard drive already. and I hooked it up to my second ps2 fatty. I now have two hacked ps2s!

But my issue is that I need a second large size PS2 Memory card. I dont want to be constantly switching out between systems the same memory card.

My first one has a (radioshack) GIGAWARE 16MB card. It's worked good thankfully. But the hacked file on it is way too big to be transfered to a small offical 8mb one.

I want to look for a new one on amazon. But I want you fine peoples opinion on which one I should get. I see a whole bunch in different sizes. And some look quite shady in quality.

Can any of you vouch for one?

I just want one big enough for the file. I already have a bunch of original PS2 memory cards. So I dont think I'll be getting a 256mb type.

If I could I would want to get another one of those Gigaware 16mb ones, but radioshack clearanced them out years ago.

So please, my peeps, which off brand PS2 memory card is reliable in your personal experience?
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

I have an Action Replay memory card with no files on it, and no disc. Is there anything that can be done with it? I can probably find a way to put the file on there via SD card on my modded Wii, but without a disc (not sure which disc is suitable), I couldn't do anything with the memory card on my Gamecube, right?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

flojocabron wrote:So please, my peeps, which off brand PS2 memory card is reliable in your personal experience?

A much late reply, apologies. You probably already know; for reliability best not to use any bank switch larger sized cards. 1st party has the best reputation, but any standard sized 1st or 3rd party 8mb PS2 Memory Card that has the Sony MagicGate logo are solid.

JoeAwesome wrote:I have an Action Replay memory card with no files on it, and no disc. Is there anything that can be done with it? I can probably find a way to put the file on there via SD card on my modded Wii, but without a disc (not sure which disc is suitable), I couldn't do anything with the memory card on my Gamecube, right?

The AR Card is the "copy protection" designed to work with the original release of the AR disc. The PS1 had a similar version for the Gameshark card and disc. See the OP for more detail; cheat memory cards are not reliable even back in the N64 Gameshark days.

Fortunately in the case of the original Gamecube Action Replay, the memory card file can be backed up on any Gamecube memory card, that is if not erased already as in your case. However, you definitely still need the Action Replay disc!

You can use that AR card as a standard Gamecube memory card, but it is not any where near as reliable as the Nintendo 59, 251 or 1019 cards.

Image Image
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Thanks for the Reply CRTgamer

But my Hd Loader/soft mod files are for some reason bigger than 8MB!

my 16mb Radioshack has space left over, but the file is too big for a classic 8mb card.

Thats how my friend gave it to me a year or two ago.

And I dont know which files should be removed to make it fit on a smaller memory card.

Yeah. I do have that yellow memory card and like another 5 or 6 original and a few more third party cards.

I just wanted to see if any other unofficial memory cards out there that are larger than 8mb are good and reliable.

Amazon has a bunch that I need peoples second opinions on. What and which to buy?
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

FreeMcboot shouldn't take THAT much memory. It can look that way though (file trickery, not sure of the specifics); make sure you are doing a fresh install to the new card, do not just copy the soft mod files.
Plus, a lot of PS2 games installed to hdd are compatible with OPL's virtual memory card, so that frees up a lot of space right there.
As for misc elf files (those not dedicated to the exploits) and other loaders, just put them on a flash drive and use one of the usb slots.
...just another lost soul...
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

flojocabron wrote:But my Hd Loader/soft mod files are for some reason bigger than 8MB!

my 16mb Radioshack has space left over, but the file is too big for a classic 8mb card.

I use a pressed HDAdvance disc to boot up the hard drive (no mod chip needed) and have the newer HDLoader installed in the hard drive as one of the "Game" files. For the few games that do not work with HDAdvance, I first select the HDLoader which brings up its own menu.

Same with ELF files, you can set them up as another "game" to run off the hard drive load program. I have SNES and Genesis Emulators along with game roms installed on my PS2 hard drive. :mrgreen:

If you prefer the memory card hard drive bootup route, maybe try the FreeMcboot nightrnr posted? It easily fits on a standard 8mb memory card, but I think PS2 CD based games will not run installed in the hard drive.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

One day, CRT's PS2 will stop booting discs and FreeMcboot will be the only option (may it be several years away ;) ).

CD based PS2 games load fine on my HDD, by the way. Although, sometimes you have to copy the game via PC to get the right format.
PS1 games are another story though (So glad I have a PSIO :D )
...just another lost soul...