Gyromite NES Import Adaptor Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
BakaTanuki
16-bit

Re: Gyromite NES Import Adaptor Guide

Post by BakaTanuki »

They had a few gyromites at Play Again (Texas game store), but the problem with those places is they know about it too.
http://insert-disc.com/
NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, DSlite, N64, PS2, Dreamcast, Wii, Gamecube
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

CRTGAMER wrote:
A tease for noiseredux
Did this ever come out?
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/600/600417p1.html

I just saw this hahaha. I was reading this guide because I recently found a Gyromite with adapter inside and wanted to see what you had to say about it. Anybody need one? Haha.
Uncle Jenkins

Post by Uncle Jenkins »

I just want to warn people that while there are other games besides Gyromite with adapters (I got mine in a copy of Pinball), they're strictly limited to the early Black Box titles. You might find a copy of a "silver box" game like Metroid or Kid Icarus that has 5 screws and off-center contacts, but it will NOT have an adapter. I found that out myself recently.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

^ Yeah, it's restricted to launch games from what I can tell.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

The only reason the adapters were used was so that they'd have enough launch carts ready for that Christmas as they had a surplus of the Famicom games boards. It was easier to make the adapters than to make whole 72 pin boards.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

so what games were launch games and what games were black box games?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

I just found one of these inside a Gryromite cart at a thrift store. As soon as picked up the cartridge I swore it was heavier. Maybe it was in my head.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

Jamisonia wrote:I just found one of these inside a Gryromite cart at a thrift store. As soon as picked up the cartridge I swore it was heavier. Maybe it was in my head.

they are about 30% heavier.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

vlame wrote:so what games were launch games and what games were black box games?

Here is the Import Adaptor hunt list, the launch titles:
Wiki wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... ent_System

U.S. launch: October 18, 1985

10-Yard Fight
Baseball
Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Duck Hunt
Excitebike
Golf
Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Kung Fu
Mach Rider
Pinball
Stack-Up
Super Mario Bros.
Tennis
Wild Gunman
Wrecking Crew

vlame wrote:
Jamisonia wrote:I just found one of these inside a Gryromite cart at a thrift store. As soon as picked up the cartridge I swore it was heavier. Maybe it was in my head.
they are about 30% heavier.
vlame is right, the adaptor adds to the weight. A little tricky to tell if the adaptor is inside though. Go with Ziggy's sure method, look for the offset pin tips pictured in the OP.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hobie-wan wrote:The only reason the adapters were used was so that they'd have enough launch carts ready for that Christmas as they had a surplus of the Famicom games boards. It was easier to make the adapters than to make whole 72 pin boards.

Anyone who has found a NES cart other then Gyromyte or Stack Em Up, please post with pics if possible. I'll make a list of confirmed game carts in the OP.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425