Gyromite NES Import Adaptor Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Gyromite NES Import Adaptor Guide

Post by CRTGAMER »

vlame wrote:picked these up today. no SYSTEM TM and no converters.

Oh crap! Keep looking, you might get lucky one day. Use the black labels, no TM and non hinge as the game carts to scrutinize. ALL the pins to one side gives an absolute indication of the Import Adaptor.

CRTGAMER wrote:If a Yellow "TM" logo then very likely no Import Adaptor inside.

Gyromite with no Yellow TM logo though not absolute, a good sign of an Import Adaptor.

The best method for a confirm, ALL Contact Tips to one side, check first and last pins.
Attachments
NES Gyromite Adapter PCB Diagram.JPG
NES Gyromite Adapter PCB Diagram.JPG (127.26 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

i should have remembered they have L pins not middle point.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

OP Updated

Look closely at this set I recently purchased. The cart has a different colored ROB Icon compared to the manual and box. The ROB Icon color difference is hard to spot on carts due to fade. This cart has an Import Adapter.

No Yellow TM Logo is a good sign of an Import Adapter inside, confirm by the pins.
Attachments
Gyromite complete with Import Adaptor Closeup.jpg
Gyromite complete with Import Adaptor Closeup.jpg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 5027 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Mechblue
128-bit

Post by Mechblue »

vlame wrote:i should have remembered they have L pins not middle point.

Thats seriously the easiest way to find them. Or as I like to think of it, it looks like a thumbs up when it has the adapter or if it doesn't sort of like the middle finger. :lol:

I'm just curious for those who have multiple adapters, what do you do with them?

I just came across my second one and I've already done the Japanese game in the us cart with devil world but is there anything else that can be done with these? Is it just for putting Japanese games in US carts or hacking them in to backwoods JP-NA cart adapters?

Looking for some creative ideas. :wink:
TEKTORO wrote:That looks mad fake bro. :/
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

I wanted to paint, decal, cut and trim one but crtgamer won't spread the love. He is just using them for full size multicarts.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Mechblue wrote:I'm just curious for those who have multiple adapters, what do you do with them?

I just came across my second one and I've already done the Japanese game in the us cart with devil world but is there anything else that can be done with these? Is it just for putting Japanese games in US carts or hacking them in to backwoods JP-NA cart adapters?

Looking for some creative ideas. :wink:

Pretty much only used to run Famicom games in a NES. You can't hack it to go the other direction unless you want to buy and solder in the reverse connectors. At that stage it would be easier to just get a NES cart to Famicom console adapter.

vlame wrote:I wanted to paint, decal, cut and trim one but crtgamer won't spread the love. He is just using them for full size multicarts.

@ vlame - Apologies. Yes the spares are used for muti game bootleg Famicom carts. Prefer the more permanent method for a cleaner look with a new label over a cut NES cart case with a pull cable. If I get into Famicom carts collecting real heavy then I'll go Hobie's method posted in the OP.

The complete version pictured above is staying as a Gyromite cart.

Some consider multi game bootleg carts worthless. I like the convenience of the menu driven cart, a very nice feature when there are no game repeats in the cart. A simple tap of the Reset Button brings the menu back to try another game. Luckily all the bootleg carts I have acquired have no repeat games, although I see a lot of the same games on various Bootleg carts. But each multi game bootleg cart has its share of unique games, some of the hacks are worth trying too.

Mechblue
128-bit

Post by Mechblue »

care to share your process for making the label of your repro cart label?
TEKTORO wrote:That looks mad fake bro. :/
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Mechblue wrote:Care to share your process for making the label of your repro cart label?

1. Scan and print the Famicom bootleg cart label.
2. Place double sided or non corded carpet tape on the back.
3. Place shiny clear non corded postal tape on the front.
4. PLACE THE TAPE BEFORE CUTTING THE LABEL TO SIZE.
5. Stick on the cart, touch up edges with black marker if needed.

I also replaced a GBA cart label using a Google Image.
Cart Label Replacement - viewtopic.php?f=52&p=398336#p398336