Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
User avatar
Mad_Hatter
128-bit
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 am

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by Mad_Hatter Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:10 pm

I can't tell from the pictures you posted, but is that TV in the pictures Flat Screen or is it the traditional curved one?
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by CRTGAMER Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:25 pm

sp957 wrote:I can't tell from the pictures you posted, but is that TV in the pictures Flat Screen or is it the traditional curved one?

It appears flat behind a protective front glass, so compared to most tubes, I guess it would be a "Flat Screen" CRT. All tubes, even the newest HD CRTs still have a slight curvature especially at the edges beyond the frame. The "Flat Screen" label can sometimes be misleading; has connotations to LCDs and newer HDs in general. There are some who do not know that there are High Definition CRTs waiting to be discovered since they were only in production for a few years.

One big negative on the WEGA CRT series is an issue with the power detection chips. A real shame, so many of the beautiful Sony CRTs and especially the uncommon HD CRTs get tossed when the fix is so inexpensive. The Repair is linked in the OP, this can be another decider factor in your search though.
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
User avatar
Mad_Hatter
128-bit
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 am

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by Mad_Hatter Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks!

I went on Craigslist and found some Sony WEGA series Trinitron that are going for as low as 60 bucks. I have not seen any HDTV CRTs though.

I'm probably going to stick with pursuing a regular SDTV model since those are more common. Plus, I plan on playing on pre-Dreamcast consoles on it, as it looks nearly impossible to find a CRT TV with VGA for the Dreamcast. I have a Widescreen HDTV CRT with HDMI, but no VGA or DVI. If that doesn't have, I am not sure what would.

Other than the SDTV having scanlines, what other differences are there be between a SD CRT and HD CRT while playing a console like a Sega Saturn and Genesis? Would the image quality and resolution be the same for the most part?


Also, what do you mean by:

"There are some who do not know that there are High Definition CRTs waiting to be discovered since they were only in production for a few years".

Are saying that there are still HD TVs sitting around? Or are you saying a lot of people do not know that HD CRTs exist?
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
User avatar
Mad_Hatter
128-bit
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 am

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by Mad_Hatter Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:11 am

So after more research, I was thinking about a Sony WEGA or PVM. What do you think?

Wega seems more common and I can find them in pretty good shape. PVM is more rare, but seems to look better with the scanlines and true RGB. But it is older (higher chance of getting one that is worn out) and more rare.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by CRTGAMER Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:21 pm

sp957 wrote:Other than the SDTV having scanlines, what other differences are there be between a SD CRT and HD CRT while playing a console like a Sega Saturn and Genesis? Would the image quality and resolution be the same for the most part?

Also, what do you mean by:
"There are some who do not know that there are High Definition CRTs waiting to be discovered since they were only in production for a few years".

Are saying that there are still HD TVs sitting around? Or are you saying a lot of people do not know that HD CRTs exist?

So after more research, I was thinking about a Sony WEGA or PVM. What do you think?

Wega seems more common and I can find them in pretty good shape. PVM is more rare, but seems to look better with the scanlines and true RGB. But it is older (higher chance of getting one that is worn out) and more rare.

If you can find a HD CRT and preferably a 4:3 tube, give it a test run with your retro console in the store, might be surprised how sharp the non HD signals appear. Most Thrift Stores have the electronics displayed near wall outlets for testing before a purchase. You lose out on the Scanlines, for me a minor issue since the pic is so clean. However, the gain of HD CRT is 480p for DVD players all the way up to 1080i for newer consoles. Not just the newest consoles either, PS2, XBox and the Gamecube all look great with a Component hookup. Be sure to get SVideo for that Dreamcast and if you can get a VGA hookup, VGA CRT PC Monitors are very inexpensive perfect for the lightgun in 640x480 mode. :idea:

The only CRTs you will find will being sold are used. Shipping, shelf space and customer preference is why the CRT went away. Sadly the HD CRT was only produced for a few years, many just asume a tube TV is only available in standard definition.

Go for the Sony PVM only if you don't mind a small screen. The WEGA offers a much larger screen making it better suited for the living room or den. The PVM does comes in handy as a second screen for link or lan games. I use a Commodore 1702 monitor which has Composite and SVideo for this purpose.
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by Ziggy587 Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:03 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:Go for the Sony PVM only if you don't mind a small screen. The WEGA offers a much larger screen making it better suited for the living room or den. The PVM does comes in handy as a second screen for link or lan games. I use a Commodore 1702 monitor which has Composite and SVideo for this purpose.


To my surprise, you can get larger PVMs. I assumed they were all in the 13-19" size, but they do come larger.
Image
User avatar
Mad_Hatter
128-bit
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 am

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by Mad_Hatter Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:40 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:If you can find a HD CRT and preferably a 4:3 tube, give it a test run with your retro console in the store, might be surprised how sharp the non HD signals appear. Most Thrift Stores have the electronics displayed near wall outlets for testing before a purchase. You lose out on the Scanlines, for me a minor issue since the pic is so clean. However, the gain of HD CRT is 480p for DVD players all the way up to 1080i for newer consoles. Not just the newest consoles either, PS2, XBox and the Gamecube all look great with a Component hookup. Be sure to get SVideo for that Dreamcast and if you can get a VGA hookup, VGA CRT PC Monitors are very inexpensive perfect for the lightgun in 640x480 mode. :idea:

The only CRTs you will find will being sold are used. Shipping, shelf space and customer preference is why the CRT went away. Sadly the HD CRT was only produced for a few years, many just asume a tube TV is only available in standard definition.

Go for the Sony PVM only if you don't mind a small screen. The WEGA offers a much larger screen making it better suited for the living room or den. The PVM does comes in handy as a second screen for link or lan games. I use a Commodore 1702 monitor which has Composite and SVideo for this purpose.
I am still in the planning process as space is scarce and I need to figure out what's the deal with my current HDTV CRT. My plan is to have a regular CRT for pre-Dreamcast consoles and a regular LCD/LED for modern consoles and media streaming. Though, after further thought, I might have 2 Dreamcasts (one for 2D/Fighters on CRT via S-Video, one for 3D/RPGs on LCD/LED via VGA). I don't play any light gun games, but like you said, CRT monitors are cheap to get locally.

I am kind of a scanline lover. I believe I am going to go with a regular SD CRT as I have an HD CRT right now and never really liked the picture of retro consoles for it.

I found this picture after reading over old threads. Those lines are gorgeous. I can't get those on my current CRT HDTV. It's a gif, and you should see it switching between a SDTV and HDTV Wega. It shows a pretty good comparison.

Image
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
User avatar
d123456
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: The Netherlands, Almere

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by d123456 Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 pm

This thread should be a book! The mother of all threads.
Just got into Light guns again. Got a Guncon2, playing all the ps2 games.
Question. Is 32" about the biggest size, crt's were made in and can be commonly picked up for free in my neighborhood? I want a 32" Sony! I guess.
I'm playing on a crappy 20V1T Daewoo, but it works great, not 1 misfire!!!!!
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by CRTGAMER Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:44 pm

d123456 wrote:This thread should be a book! The mother of all threads.
Just got into Light guns again. Got a Guncon2, playing all the ps2 games.
Question. Is 32" about the biggest size, crt's were made in and can be commonly picked up for free in my neighborhood? I want a 32" Sony! I guess.
I'm playing on a crappy 20V1T Daewoo, but it works great, not 1 misfire!!!!!

Thanks and great to read someone using Retro Lightguns on a tube TV. For your PS2 Guncon, track down a game called Vampire Night, considered the closest to the "House Of The Dead" game for the PS2. :idea:

Image

There are 36" Sony CRTs and I think even larger though maybe custom models that are probably very hard to find. Keep in mind a 32" widescreen has less actual overall size compared to a 32" 4:3 screen.
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
User avatar
d123456
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: The Netherlands, Almere

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by d123456 Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:20 am

I kind of want a 4:3 crt screen.
Even though wide screen patches exist for loads of ps2 light gun games, the patches are not relly useable for light gun use, apaprantly there is an increasing offset the further you move the gun away from the center of the screen. Could be fixed in the future, but for now I'd like some big screen VC1 & VC2 action. I already have most good ps2 light gun games up and running from a ps2 HDD.
And indeed, Vampire Night is pretty close to HOTD.
I also own a move for HOTDIII & HOTD4 & the PS3 time crisisses, but nothing beats a real light gun. the move is very inprecise and after some play looses accuracy and looses or shifts the calibration. WTF! crapware! It's just so fake.
Light guns are real and what you hit you actually hit it. pixel perfect.
My first console was a Master System Super system with light phaser and 3D glasses. That's why I'm a light gun nut. :lol:
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Return to Guides

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests