CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: LCD vs CRT, Best Video Inputs and Lightguns on HD

Post by CRTGAMER »

I found another possible work around for the Lightgun HD problem. Not a great fix but yet another approach.

Instead of trying to get the Light gun Sensor to work another idea is a Tilt Motion Sensor. Split Fish made a tilt sensor for the PS2. Possibly attaching to Lightgun then tilting Lightgun to move gunsight.

In testing this with Vampire Nights the Left and Right are backwards. Flipping the motion sensor upside down makes the up and down tilt backwards. Internal mod of switch location would fix that. However as long as gun is tilted the sight will keep moving in that direction. With rapid onslaught of enemies you are constantly moving the sight so depending on the game this works though it is awkward.

Spilt Fish Motion Sensor attached to PS2 controller:
http://www.splitfish.com/

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Sorry for the wait. Yesterday was console cleaning day. The Sony adapter is model 1160.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

wip3outguy7 wrote:Sorry for the wait. Yesterday was console cleaning day. The Sony adapter is model 1160.

Thanks for update. Your Sony AV adaptor was same as mine, made for the PS1. The other adaptor Sony #SCPH-10130U is for the PS2. To be honest I believe both have all the same connections. Only way to find out is to test the PS2 Av Adaptor with the Guncon 2 and a HD CRT. Anyone out there try the PS2 AV Adaptor version?

Still trying to see how to get Vampire Nights in 480p mode, not just at Guncon 2 calibration screen.

As for the Dreamcast Lightgun to HD, I might break down one of these days and get that VGA to Component transcoder.

I included links to your youtube guncon reviews ..........

wip3outguy7 made these great youtube videos on the Guncon.
Lot of insight on all the features, functions of the various buttons.

Nyko Super Cobra & Guncon 2 reviews youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmUrK6kEafY

Japanese (black) Guncon 2 overview & how to tell if yours is real or fake youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD_isq7W ... re=related

Looks real, but is it the real Guncon?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Dreamcast SRC BIO Gun review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1S6cEuo3PE
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Some lightgun videos of Project Horned Owl.

wip3outguy7 wrote:This is a game I have wanted to video for awhile. I just wasn't able to find an angle that made me happy. I wanted to capture the gameplay on screen while I wield the gun in the foreground. After watching a video by MN12BIRD on youtube, I decided to give it a try... with mixed results.

Stage 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMbHmWnfAH4
Stage 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lO_WaBIPoo
Stage 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sSGT2lwG5Y

I ran out of room on the camera's card before completing the game. So those are the only levels I was able to film. Enjoy!

thetooth
24-bit

Post by thetooth »

I have one of those Super Fine Pitch screens from sony also and its been really good even besting one of my PC monitors in image quality.

Also nice review. I have always wanted to play Virtua Cop 2 in my house lol
Saturn, SNES, NGC, Wii, DSi, GBA, GBA Micro, PSX, PS2 and every emulator ever made :P
Monkeyfist

Post by Monkeyfist »

Hi! I'm so grateful for you guys for researching into this, as its really just the information I've been looking for. I'm a sega fanboy and am looking for a tv that is still pretty to look at but awesome for my 3 main consoles (genesis / saturn / dreamcast) for my guys-only-room.

I love lightgun games, that's the reason I wasted so much money at arcades when I was a kid, and the only reason I perused collecting so many sega peripherals.

So I have random questions that might be just common sense to you actually smart people..

Mainly, if I find a good hd tv that can support my dreamcast's lightguns, will it also then support my saturns and genesis's guns as well?

If it makes any difference, the guns in my collection that are in use are;

Genesis; blue justifier (obviously the only choice)
Saturn; Enforcer and Erazer smg
Dreamcast; SRC wireless & the black DCX gun.

I think they all work the same? Its actually more important for me to find a tv that will let my saturn survive longer than my dreamcast, as Scud: The Disposable Assassin happens to be my #3 favorite game of all time.

I read threw the entire thread, and saw the comments posted on the first post saying that the KV-34HS420 doesn't work with dreamcast. But someone spoke of the KV-32FQ70U and that it did work nicely?

Are projectors completely out of the questions when using these types of light guns?

On a completely different topic, outside of my guys-only-room I have a few other consoles (including ps2 & xbox), where I love playing house of the dead 3, vampire nights, time crisis, and resident evil dead aim. I use an ems top gun that reads on LCD tv's via one of those sensor bars (like a wii bar).

What sort of projector should I look for for a standard media type player (like something that can last a good long time and display well when playing video games, and function nicely with that type of light gun)?

I think I'm more worried about spending too much money on something that can project in HD, and even more on replacement bulbs if the particular projector is a rare make.

Thanks in advance for any help guys!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Monkeyfist wrote:Mainly, if I find a good hd tv that can support my dreamcast's lightguns, will it also then support my saturns and genesis's guns as well?

If it makes any difference, the guns in my collection that are in use are;

Genesis; blue justifier (obviously the only choice)
Saturn; Enforcer and Erazer smg
Dreamcast; SRC wireless & the black DCX gun.

I think they all work the same? Its actually more important for me to find a tv that will let my saturn survive longer than my dreamcast, as Scud: The Disposable Assassin happens to be my #3 favorite game of all time.

I read threw the entire thread, and saw the comments posted on the first post saying that the KV-34HS420 doesn't work with dreamcast. But someone spoke of the KV-32FQ70U and that it did work nicely?

Are projectors completely out of the questions when using these types of light guns?

On a completely different topic, outside of my guys-only-room I have a few other consoles (including ps2 & xbox), where I love playing house of the dead 3, vampire nights, time crisis, and resident evil dead aim. I use an ems top gun that reads on LCD tv's via one of those sensor bars (like a wii bar).

What sort of projector should I look for for a standard media type player (like something that can last a good long time and display well when playing video games, and function nicely with that type of light gun)?

I think I'm more worried about spending too much money on something that can project in HD, and even more on replacement bulbs if the particular projector is a rare make.

Thanks for the praise. Welcome to Racketboy. New members are always welcome, bringing fresh ideas to the table. For instance, perhaps you can give a more detailed first hand account review on that EMS lightgun. I think others including myself might be interested. Also thanks for doing a search, lot of people would just pop a new post with a question without looking first. In case you have not tried yet the Blue bar links has a lot of great information on various systems, notably "Topics" and "Guides".

As far as your choice of a projector as in buying a new printer, look at the availability and price of that replacement light. I would even have one or two extra on hand depending on cost. Its crazy when you can buy a replacement printer cheaper then ink cartridges.

The difference between the two TVs you asked about is that KV-34HS420 is a HD and KV-32FQ70U is a Non-HD.

From my findings, all your Lightguns will only work on Non-HD Tube TVs unless you have a Sensor Gun with a separate light sender similar to the Wii light bar. With the separate light bar any HD CRT, LCD, Rear projection or even a projection on a blank wall will work. Just have to ensure the light bar is mounted whereever you place the game screen image and initially calibrate the lightgun to the sensor bar (or light).

Dreamcast is unique in that the Lightgun also supports VGA CRT monitors. The one test I have not tried yet is a HD CRT with VGA input or a VGA to Component transcoder on a HD CRT. Would be great if that works, bottom of my first page post elaborates different approaches on transcoders.

Just updated Page 1 today with more info and pics. Anyone else who has not read that first page, take a look. I wrote an extensive article there, click my signature link for Page 1.

Monkeyfist

Post by Monkeyfist »

The ems lcd top gun is truly a beauty to look at, but I'm not too good at nit picky details, so a full review might not be too elaborate.

A few facts about the trinket:

The bad;

1.) it works best on flat screens and (I'm praying) projectors. The problem with the gun is when you have a tv that doesn't have a flat screen, as the image that your trying to shoot at is slightly curved around the roundness of the screen near the 4 corners, but the gun is calibrated as if you are shooting a completely flat surface. This problem was the preliminary reason for me separating my xbox & ps2 from my sega consoles (that, and sega's epicness needs to be in its own room...).

While it will still work decently with curved screens (non flat), you end up having to estimate your shots when enemies come in around the corners of the screen (not really a problem in say, time crisis, but defiantly a hardship in vampire nights).

2.) The analog stick on the back is not an analog stick, its just a 4-point d-pad with what appears to be an analog stick on top. Not really a bad thing, but it makes the movement in games like resident evil dead aim not nearly as smooth as it could have been.

3.) You can't turn off the automatic recoiling mechanism on my version of the gun (not sure if there are more than one version). Its a little loud and can easily drown out some of the sound from the games. Also since I live with people, it limits the time of day that I can play with the gun, as between the noise it makes and the fact that I tend to crank up the sound to balance out the guns' noise...

4.) It doesn't always work on crt tv's even if your willing to work around the rounded screens. My friend has a huge old crt tv, not HD, and the gun just wouldn't calibrate on it. Maybe the lines were coming out in a different orientation? That in theory shouldn't matter since it works off of lcd receivers...but still it just wouldn't work on his tv.

5.) With glass screened tv's, the laser tends to reflect in your face/eyes if your not sitting above/below the level of the middle of the tv... Not harmful, but can be annoying if your normal seat when gaming is directly in front of the middle of the tv.

6.) Maybe not really a bad thing, depends on your situation, but there are no orange safety caps on this gun. It literally looks exactly like a beretta. I got mine from play-asia quite some time ago, and it was shipped to me without a problem, but some people might have trouble if that safety tip thing is an issue.

The Good;

1.) This thing is beautiful! Its cast and mold looks exactly like a barette (think jill valentines gun from resident evil 3). The detail in the mold is incredible, and the gun just feels amazing in your hands (a perfect weight, it feels solid, but has mass to it, yet not too heavy so it doesn't wear you down).

2.) While the recoil mechanism is loud, its also quite impressive. The mechanism works in a way that emulates exactly how a real barette would shoot, and the gun is built so well that not even the false analog stick gets anywhere near the sliding part.

3.) Laser light = pin point accuracy. Its as close to using a wii mote as you will ever get with older light gun games. The laser is also adjustable on an X Y axes, so you can make the most perfect line-of-sight when your calibrating the gun to give amazing accuracy!

This can take the challenge out of some light gun games on larger flat screens (even more so when you use the guns auto fire/reload settings)! Don't like the idea of having the laser, or want that good old fashion challenge of arcade light gun games? The laser can be turned off :D

4.) The LCD bars (the gun has a pair of them, both required), can be put in various positions (either both horizontal, one horizontal and one vertical, ect), so you can sort of find a best-fit for your entertainment system.

5.) The gun has outputs for both xbox & ps2, no adapters required (you can play house of the dead 3 & vampire night with the same gun!). The gun does require the usb slot on a ps2 although.

6.) The gun has a damn cheap price tag! I think I spent more shipping it to me than the gun cost when I got mine. Light gun games are also damn cheap! I see time crisis games in gamestop for $3 complete. Some are hard to find, but still very cheap!

I have a massive collection of sega hardware, including alot of light guns. I know a few of them are not very common, and every time I look for light gun info and run across articles detailing them, there's alot of false information (for example, i have a wired src biogun in my collection, which usually gets bashed for having sub-par accuracy and no memory card slot, when in fact there are two versions of this gun, the later having a shorter cord, extra B & start buttons on the other side of the gun, has a phone line input at the base of the gun (where the normal one looks like it has an empty clip space, no idea why this is there...maybe retro sega genesis pink/blue justifier 2x light gun setup?), with a built in vmu slot on the controller port connection, and amazing accuracy....yet no one ever talks about there being two?).
    CRTGAMER
    Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Great review! I didn't realize that CRTs would have an issue with "light bar sensor" lightguns. Slight curvature of monitor making that alignment difference. I wonder of the CRT itself putting out light might be interfering with reading of light sensor. Perhaps darken screen way down temporarily just to see any different effect?

From what you wrote looks easy to setup as a replacement PS2 or Xbox lightgun.
    If only it would work for the Dreamcast, I miss House of the Dead.