CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: LCD vs CRT, Best Video Inputs and Lightguns on HD

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

wip3outguy7 wrote:Yeah, that is probably what I will end up doing. I think I can get the Sony AV Adapter locally at Gameover for around what I would order it for.

Cool, do they have a bunch? I could use one if it was for cheap.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I'll look and let you know the prices. I think they have the Guncon specific one (a single Composite video in and the same multi out as the AV Adapter). Which would you be more interested in?
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

wip3outguy7 wrote:I'll look and let you know the prices. I think they have the Guncon specific one (a single Composite video in and the same multi out as the AV Adapter). Which would you be more interested in?

Probably the single to save on space, but if they have a bunch in stock both would be nice (If they're cheap of course :wink: ) for the PS2 in the living room to have easy hookups for both the GunCon and RCA Jacks for direct Connection to the Stereo and the other one for traveling with the least possible load.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

CRTGAMER wrote:The Commodore 64 also supported a semi-RGB connector having separate chroma and luma video cables on the back of 1702/1902 monitors. We are talking about an old 6502 chip - clock speed of about 1 MHz and screen pixel 320×200 or 160×200 if in multi color. Even in that low a resolution anytime you can split the video signals the end result is better quality video.

Technically it is s-video, just using a pair of RCA plugs and a third for sound instead of a 'normal' s-video plug.

Good writeup.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Thanks, updated first page showing that.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:Oh, I almost forgot to mention, the Guncon 2 actually has a 100Hz mode.

To quote the internet:

The Internet wrote:For 100Hz TV's, when on the Calibration screen. Point the GUNCON2 away from the screen. Hold trigger and press the SELECT button (it's on the Left hand side of the gun, nearest the muzzle). This will put the calibration into 100hz mode and a little 100Hz message will appear on-screen to confirm this.

It's then possible to calibrate as normal.

I've done this with my Sony KX32FQ70U 100hz digital scan TV and it works perfectly!

EDIT!: Note that to use 100hz mode you must have PS2 Component cables and get the GunCon's composite sync through the PS2 AV Adaptor dongle which looks like this:
PS2 AV Adaptor.jpg

I did a search of model numbers on TV above, the Internet closet match is a V not X, KV-32FQ70U which is a wide screen but not a HD TV.

Bought a USB Guncon 2 and Vampire night for PS2. Vampire Night is similar in game play as House of the Dead. This does not work on the Sony HD CRT KV-32HS500 utilizing both Composite and Component with green y connection. During the calibration up and down seems to work but the sight jumps left and right. This looks to be the problem with the HD scan line going at a higher hertz rate. The Dreamcast light gun with House of the Dead ended with the same results with both Composite and S-Video modes.

A second note is that USB Guncon 2 has no vibration function nor LED's. I have the blue controller port Namco Guncon which does have vibration and LED's. The gun kicking back at you really adds to gaming experience.

I just ordered above mentioned Sony AV adapter. (see page 1 for pics) Once I receive the adapter I'll report the results.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Upon research looks like the Sony Wega HD KV-32HS500 puts out 120hz not 100hz.

Maybe could be part of issue with PS2 Guncon 2 still not working in 480p mode?

:?: The Mystery of House of the Dead big question:
Has anyone have any luck with Dreamcast VGA box - VGA transcoder to Component - Regular Dreamcast Lightgun - HD CRT?

wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Finally picked up a Sony AV adapter. A place in town had one left (Sorry Mod_Man, I have my eyes peeled for another). Holy fuck fuckity fuck Time Crisis 3 looks fantastic in Svideo. I will test the combo via component on my flat tube Samsung HD CRT when I have more time.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

wip3outguy7 wrote:Finally picked up a Sony AV adapter. A place in town had one left (Sorry Mod_Man, I have my eyes peeled for another). Holy fuck fuckity fuck Time Crisis 3 looks fantastic in Svideo. I will test the combo via component on my flat tube Samsung HD CRT when I have more time.

HATE HATE HATE!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh, and keep me up to date if you ever hind one! :D
My Consoles:

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
wip3outguy7 wrote:Finally picked up a Sony AV adapter. A place in town had one left (Sorry Mod_Man, I have my eyes peeled for another). Holy fuck fuckity fuck Time Crisis 3 looks fantastic in Svideo. I will test the combo via component on my flat tube Samsung HD CRT when I have more time.

HATE HATE HATE!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh, and keep me up to date if you ever find one! :D

Here's where you can buy the official Sony AV Adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002 ... oh_product

I have ordered official Sony AV adapter and expect it soon.
Though not optomistic I'll let everyone know if the Guncon 2 with Sony Time Crisis AV Adaptor works on my CRT HD. I will post results on this forum.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.