RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Mahjong Video Games

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:29 pm

There are so many mahjong games. Anyone else play them? What's your favorite type? 2-player? 4-player? Solitaire? The games with the cute girls? RPGs with mahjong combat? Let's discuss! Lately I've been into the Family Mahjong (Nihon Bussan / Namco) series on Famicom, though I don't have the third one yet. These have nice clean visuals without being too primitive. Shanghai on Master System gets a regular spin as well.

Oh, if you don't know how to play mahjong here's a brief introductory video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlnC2rgIPrc
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Mahjong Video Games

by noiseredux Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Cool topic. I enjoy them. Haven't played any in a while. Theres one on NGPC I liked a lot. Also called Shanghai I believe.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:39 pm

I played Solitaire Majhong a LOT as a kid on our old PC. I didn't even know there was a competitive game, so hearing of people talking about a game with multiple players that I associated as a matching game very much confused me XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

by Ack Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:09 am

I also prefer the Solitaire version. Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye is a particular favorite, and I enjoy the Mahjongg game on NGPC, though I am terrible at it; it seems based much more on finding a very specific pattern to finish as opposed to developing a strategy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 am

I wonder how this is?

I'd ask if anyone's play it, but I assume the first rule of Mahjong Fight Club is to not talk about it. :\
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Shanghai is a great way to familiarize yourself with the tiles, before diving into the more complicated games, I'd say.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:47 am

Mahjong looks neat but I have yet to give any mahjong games a try. Mostly since the rules for it are a little intimidating. I've been meaning to sit down and try to read the rules but I haven't really had the chance to do that yet ha.
Rydon
24-bit

by Rydon Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:52 pm

I have Shanghai triple threat on the Saturn but haven't played it. Maybe I'll dust it off today and give it a go.
Return to Other Genres