Looking for games in the "stealth FPS" genre

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Looking for games in the "stealth FPS" genre

Post by casterofdreams »

Hi everyone.

I am looking into games in a particular subset of the FPS genre. The Stealth FPS genre. Games like the two recent Deus Ex games and the Dishonored series are up my alley and I am using those as a basis for what I'm looking for if that helps.

I've looked into the mobile port of that Deus Ex game but heard not so good things about it. Worth it? Maybe when it's on sale?

I've never played the Thief series but I was interested in the most recent one. Again I heard some things but nowhere near as severely as the game mentioned above. I know it plays differently as I don't think I'm killing anyone but I like the idea of stealth. Is that a good recommendation?

Any other game out there let me know.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Looking for games in the "stealth FPS" genre

Post by Xeogred »

You have to really like this genre for me to recommend New Thief and it sounds like you should check it out. I'm sure it's cheap thesedays. Just brace yourself for something extremely clunky compared to Dishonored. The biggest issue easily being that you cannot manually jump. And when you get caught by enemies, it's almost nearly impossible to run away and escape. The level design is problematic too, there's a lot of roofs that look like you should be able to climb over, but some you can and some you can't, you just never know. The main city hub is so overly complex it takes way too much time to navigate, not to mention there's a few loading points too. All that said the atmosphere is great, the art direction is incredible, and it's a gorgeous looking game. There's a lot of side missions and I've seen people sink 50 hours into it, but you can do the main story in probably 12 or so. The first three are classics but if you want something modern check it out, just know that it has no connection to the older games.

Did you play Dishonored Death of the Outsider? Just came out.

I would avoid Deus Ex The Fall.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The best stealth game I've played, is also my all time favorite game:

It's not exactly a stealth-shooter, but you do play it first person, and you will be shooting arrows. You can play this game aggressively, stealthily killing enemies rather than sneaking past them. The best way to play it: https://www.gog.com/game/thief_gold

Thief 2 is also great, and I loved Thief 3. I have not played the 2014 Thief yet.

As for modern stealth games, I strongly recommend the Splinter Cell series. Granted they are not first person, but as third person stealth action games they are excellent. I especially enjoyed Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, and Double Agent.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The No One Lives Forever games are a sort of stealth and action mix. Some levels are pure stealth, others are "you can stealth til you screw it up", and some have some pure action segments.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Good luck finding those these days. Would love to see them remade, if the companies that might own the IP would bother to sort stuff out.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

marurun wrote:Good luck finding those these days. Would love to see them remade, if the companies that might own the IP would bother to sort stuff out.

I'm pretty sure I still have physical copies of both of them. I think they're in my "to go on ebay" pile right now in all seriousness.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It is a first-person, stealth, survival horror game, and it is totally awesome. Just looking at some of the enemies in the game will make your character lose his mind, and attracting their attention is the very last thing you want to do.
marurun

Post by marurun »

noiseredux wrote:
marurun wrote:Good luck finding those these days. Would love to see them remade, if the companies that might own the IP would bother to sort stuff out.

I'm pretty sure I still have physical copies of both of them. I think they're in my "to go on ebay" pile right now in all seriousness.

Do they even run in a modern Windows environment?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've never tried, which is why they're in the "to sell" pile. I tend to realize that if a game sits unplayed for several years, I probably don't need it anymore.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

casterofdreams wrote:I've looked into the mobile port of that Deus Ex game but heard not so good things about it. Worth it? Maybe when it's on sale?

I missed this question first go around. Deus Ex: The Fall is not good. It does have nice graphics for a mobile game, but it's not much fun. The gun combat is sloppy, and difficulty balancing is all over the place. The plot's boring, and exploration doesn't yield much reward. While I didn't love Human Revolution, The Fall is far inferior to even it.

-

There's Project I.G.I.: I'm Going In and I.G.I.-2: Covert Strike. Both of those FPS entries focused on stealth action. I haven't played them so no personal opinion to offer. But here's trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fBEd4e0-_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc9wuQtR5Ww

-

You might enjoy the Chronicles of Riddick games. They are fun and have some light stealth elements.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.