Kids Games

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Kids Games

Post by strangenova »

I recently got a new computer desk and hooked up my ancient desktop (ok its not that old, its got windows 8 on it). Well with a computer obviously comes computer games and all the jazz. My son is getting older and when he sees me playing games it gets his interest and he wants to play too. Well it got me wondering about computer games for kids, I remember when i was younger they were all over the place and i'm sure someone has had to preserve them somewhere. But where is my question to you and what games do you recommend for a kid in the 3-5 year range?

I have a Gog account and a Steam account. I would prefer Gog suggestions and even some abandonware suggestions too, i'm not a stranger to dosbox. I'm not the biggest fan of steam, but those suggestions are warranted too. Also I figure this thread can be a catch all for discussions of kids games.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Kids Games

Post by strangenova »

So I did some digging around abandonware for educational games starring well established cartoon characters. I grabbed a few with disney characters. I really wish these games had easy to find digital manuals, they keep wanting me to hit the circle key or the triangle key.....I'd rather him start with using the mouse as I think it would be easier for him to grasp, vs hitting one key amongst the masses on a keyboard. Anyways, anyone come up with some suggestions for me on either Gog, Steam, or Abandonware???
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Broderbund Living Books Series and Humongous Entertainment series. Easy mouse click on various images on screen to discover what happens next. The Win 95/iMac era games work under Windows XP or Mac; you will probably need to install Virtual PC to make them work under Windows 10. I think some of the titles have been recoded for current Mac, PCs and Android with tablet touchscreen compatible.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Thanks for the suggestions CRT.

Noise he's only 3, I'm not sure he's ready for the trail....hell I'm almost thirty and I'm not ready for the trail. :P
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Yeah, I popped in with a suggestion earlier, but it's not really the right age range for the kiddo.

When they do get a bit older, give 'The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis' a go. My girlfriends family adore that one.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

alienjesus wrote:Yeah, I popped in with a suggestion earlier, but it's not really the right age range for the kiddo.

When they do get a bit older, give 'The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis' a go. My girlfriends family adore that one.
Hey I actually think I know that one, thanks for the suggestion. Yeah at the age he is now, point and click type educational games are what I'm really looking for.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

strangenova wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Yeah, I popped in with a suggestion earlier, but it's not really the right age range for the kiddo.

Hey I actually think I know that one, thanks for the suggestion. Yeah at the age he is now, point and click type educational games are what I'm really looking for.

Zoombinis is one of those, but I think it's probably meant for like 8 year olds rather than really young sprogs.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Math Blaster was one of my favorite when I was in elementary school. Hell, when I was in college, I impulse bought it on Genesis just for the sake of nostalgia and lulz. I'd also suggest Storybook Weaver to get those creativity juices flowing early.

I'm not sure how where to find those, but they're great games if you can find them online cheap/free.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Heropotion

Post by Heropotion »

The internet is full of free games that you can play with your kid. Google such titles as Fireboy and Watergirl, Jim loves Mary, or Money Movers :)
Last edited by Heropotion on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.