First Console Game To Do FPS "Right" - Goldeneye vs Halo

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
marurun

Re: First Console Game To Do FPS "Right" - Goldeneye vs Halo

Post by marurun »

isiolia wrote:Halo, on the other hand, is more part of the shift to an even greater focus on consoles by the industry as a whole.

MS had been eyeing the console space for a few years. Their dalliance with Sega's Dreamcast was testing the waters to see if they could adapt their tech to a console space. Their dev environment on the DC had performance costs, but wasn't a total failure. Halo was just a tool for MS. Halo was Microsoft's attempt to get a killer exclusive for the Xbox. They only had 3 big exclusives out the gate, and they were really worried about two of them. Bungie's Halo was going to basically sell the console for them. And it did, essentially, and changed the FPS landscape on console AND PC in the process.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Goldeneye was the first FPS to generate a cohesive story through the mission objectives. It added simple QOL upgrades to previous FPS titles such as damage based on position, strafing while running, headshots, and the bulk of the groundwork for console deathmatch as we know it today.

Halo took console shooters to the next level that Goldeneye built. Id say that neither did it better.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Team Fortress introduced location-based damage and headshots a few months before Goldeneye.

http://kotaku.com/5625054/the-history-o ... l-violence

But I was surprised to find that Goldeneye was that ahead of the curve in that regard.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

fastbilly1 wrote:Goldeneye was the first FPS to generate a cohesive story through the mission objectives.

How do you figure this? There were plenty of objective/story based FPS games prior...

fastbilly1 wrote:It added simple QOL upgrades to previous FPS titles such as damage based on position, strafing while running, headshots, and the bulk of the groundwork for console deathmatch as we know it today.

Are you referring to consoles only? Quake Team Fortress had location damage and headshots before Goldeneye and stuff like MDK had sniper-based location damage before that. (https://web.archive.org/web/19970704225 ... readme.txt)

I will give Goldeneye credit for console deathmatch, but not location/headshot damage!

EDIT: I see marurun was on this too!
Last edited by dsheinem on Wed May 31, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

marurun wrote:Team Fortress introduced location-based damage and headshots a few months before Goldeneye.

http://kotaku.com/5625054/the-history-o ... l-violence

But I was surprised to find that Goldeneye was that ahead of the curve in that regard.

Not to mention that In goldeneye... when you shoot someone in the butt, they hop around holding it. Priceless.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

dsheinem wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:It added simple QOL upgrades to previous FPS titles such as damage based on position, strafing while running, headshots, and the bulk of the groundwork for console deathmatch as we know it today.

Are you referring to consoles only? Quake Team Fortress had location damage and headshots before Goldeneye and stuff like MDK had sniper-based location damage before that. (https://web.archive.org/web/19970704225 ... readme.txt)

I will give Goldeneye credit for console deathmatch, but not location/headshot damage!

EDIT: I see marurun was on this too!

Since the topic is about console shooters, yes I am referring to consoles only.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Golgo 13 did it first.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Fair enough, what did Halo do first then?

Vehicles? Sorry Terminator did that in 84
Vehicles in multiplayer? Tribes in 98
Console lan? Outtrigger Dreamcast earlier in 2001
Regenerating Health? Faceball 2000 in technically 87

I did bring us hardcore bro fps culture. So I guess it did one thing first.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

marurun wrote:I really think Halo was the defining FPS for consoles. GoldenEye was OK, but it was more like a prototype. Hell, the Jaguar has Aliens vs Predator before even Goldeneye and it was well-reviewed and distinctly console-ish. Basically, many of the pieces were in play before Halo, but Halo is the first game that I feel got everything right. It was the first one to unify all these ideas into one cohesive package that was not only custom tailored to the console but competitive with the stuff on the PC market at the time. Also, Bungie are the masters of multiplayer. I know lots of folks loved GoldenEye multiplayer, but Halo tops it there, too. The Bungie folks have been doing super fun multiplayer since Marathon, and it shows in Halo.

I think this is it - Halo was the first console FPS to have the complete package. Singleplayer campaign, great multiplayer, and a control scheme that made a FPS game easy to play on a console and has become the industry standard for FPS/3PS console games since then.

fastbilly1 wrote:Fair enough, what did Halo do first then?

Vehicles? Sorry Terminator did that in 84
Vehicles in multiplayer? Tribes in 98
Console lan? Outtrigger Dreamcast earlier in 2001
Regenerating Health? Faceball 2000 in technically 87

All of it at the same time - that's what it did first as far as I know.

fastbilly1 wrote:I did bring us hardcore bro fps culture. So I guess it did one thing first.

Well, that too... :?
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Loading up a Warthog with a skilled driver, crack gunner, and suicidal passenger is one of the best play experiences.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile