First Console Game To Do FPS "Right" - Goldeneye vs Halo

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: First Console Game To Do FPS "Right" - Goldeneye vs Halo

Post by racketboy »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I had a lot of fun with console FPSs before either game.

Doom (especially on the 32X)
Zero Tolerance (Genesis)
Alien Trilogy (PS1)
Disruptor (PS1)
Duke Nukem (PS1)
Powerslave (PS1)

etc.

I think the Doom and Wolfenstein console ports especially were all pretty popular...and predate Goldeneye (and do some things better)

While yes, there are other first person shooters out there that were good before goldeneye, how many people talk about the cultural impact those titles had on console gaming?

Agreed. And I had a lot of fun with DOOM on 32X as well :)
I kinda want to boot that combo up again!

Timesplitters was mentioned. How much of an improvement was TS2 over the original? I loved Time Splitters 2.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

There is a huge improvement from timesplitters to timesplitters 2. The original has a feel akin to goldeneye, but the story is minimal and disconjointed. The sequel feels great, plays great and has so much content in single and multiplayer.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:There is a huge improvement from timesplitters to timesplitters 2. The original has a feel akin to goldeneye, but the story is minimal and disconjointed. The sequel feels great, plays great and has so much content in single and multiplayer.

Good to know. And yeah, Time Splitters 2 didn't get enough attention. One of my favorites games when the GameCube was my newest console.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The Doom 32X music makes me cry...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I think the older console FPS titles worked great - many of them were released before mouselook became a common thing in the PC space, so the lack of dual analog was not a big deal at all...

I just disagree with the premise that Goldeneye or Halo were the first ones to do it "right"...I think many titles did things "right" before FPS exploded as a genre...Goldeneye and Halo were just simply some early popular console exclusives (or timed exclusive, in the case of Halo).
marurun

Post by marurun »

Halo did inaugurate a massive wave of imitation in both the console and PC space. And it was originally going to be a Mac/PC FPS until MS bought Bungie. Goldeneye had lots of fans, but Halo had much longer reach and impact.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

dsheinem wrote:I think the older console FPS titles worked great - many of them were released before mouselook became a common thing in the PC space, so the lack of dual analog was not a big deal at all...

I just disagree with the premise that Goldeneye or Halo were the first ones to do it "right"...I think many titles did things "right" before FPS exploded as a genre...Goldeneye and Halo were just simply some early popular console exclusives (or timed exclusive, in the case of Halo).

Again, just because others may have done it right before goldeneye and halo does not mean that the gaming world at large recognized that. There is a distinction that needs to be made there.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

dsheinem wrote:I think the older console FPS titles worked great - many of them were released before mouselook became a common thing in the PC space, so the lack of dual analog was not a big deal at all...

Agree a great point in the coding leading to controller evolution making for a better FPS; the mouselook added a whole new element. A good example is Doom with multiple height, yet no vertical aim needed. Then Quake with the mouse look; now the standard controller for PC FPS is the WASD (though I still prefer the separate cursor keys) keyboard and mouse. Game consoles might be worth mentioning on the comparison of the analog controller will no where keep up to the rapid adjustment sensitivity of the mouse. Though there are some who prefer an analog stick over the mouse keyboard arrangement.

A side comparison of sorts; the Arcade joystick becoming the standard and downgraded the sensitivity control of the obsolete Spinner. Imagine games such as Tac Scan and Omega Race played without the older tight control; many SHMUPs would benefit with a Spinner.

First Game Console To Do CONTROLLER right?
The Wiimote adapted the instant control of mouse look for game consoles, followed by Move and Kinect. This is where Wii FPS games got a head start with all titles supported with the instant aim capability. On the Wii and PS4 the standard "remote" controllers now for FPS, though not sure I could get into 360 console FPS hands free.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

marurun wrote:Halo did inaugurate a massive wave of imitation in both the console and PC space. And it was originally going to be a Mac/PC FPS until MS bought Bungie. Goldeneye had lots of fans, but Halo had much longer reach and impact.

It was originally going to be a Mac/PC RTS if I recall. At the time, Bungie's main series was Myth moreso than Marathon.

I think a lot of them were also ports or "clones" of PC titles, with some exceptions (like Turok). So, yeah, stuff like the many versions of DOOM didn't exactly miss mouse control.

Goldeneye was likely one of the first that was a console FPS game that PC gamers were envious of. It was just ahead of the curve in a lot of ways.
marurun

Post by marurun »

isiolia wrote:
marurun wrote:Halo did inaugurate a massive wave of imitation in both the console and PC space. And it was originally going to be a Mac/PC FPS until MS bought Bungie. Goldeneye had lots of fans, but Halo had much longer reach and impact.

It was originally going to be a Mac/PC RTS if I recall. At the time, Bungie's main series was Myth moreso than Marathon.

That's not how Halo was debuted at Macworld Expo. The first footage the public saw was action, with basic F/TPS physics. They may have considered that early on, but by the time Microsoft bought Bungie it was likely already an FPS.

And you are correct, Bungie's big series at that time was Myth, though the 3rd installment wasn't Bungie-developed. Bungee had dabbled in console ports with Oni and was clearly ready to branch out, in genre and in series.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.