RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Xeogred Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 am

I lied about being done.

I forgot I own Ultimate Doom and Final Doom on Steam, so I have those main wads. I'm checking out Doom 1 The Way id Did now (it needs the Doom 1 wad, but I can still play "through" Doom 2 in a way with gzdoom), mainly because I was craving something like the classic Episode 1 a lot of us here like.

So far it does capture that vibe, but I saw complaints about the secrets and can agree with them. I'm about 6 or so maps in, and there's often a lot of secrets within secrets and tons of weird cross connecting sections that flow back to previous areas... it all feels a lot more complicated than the level design in the original Doom. So... it's not perfect, but it does feel like Episode 1 remixed a bit and has a cool vibe. I think I'm already liking it more than Doom 2 the Way id Did, but we'll see if it keeps up.

TSTR: Seems like Valiant (2015) and Ancient Aliens (2016) are some of the recent popular ones.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:16 pm

I beat Doom 1 The Way id Did a few days ago. Wasn't sure if I would, but I kept passing the time after work waiting for Zelda to hit.

Like I said earlier... the first episode somewhat captures the vibe of OG Doom episode 1, but the maps were just far too complicated. Across all three episodes each map had like 10 some secrets it seemed like. And I'm not really sure what the theme to episode 2-3 in OG Doom were anyways, so I didn't really feel any similarities here. But they were pretty good maps.

Solid megawad that I liked more than the Doom 2 The Way id Did megawad. Just don't expect it to truly feel like Doom 1.

With that and 50 hours of Doom, now I'm really taking a break for now.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:42 am

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:44 am

Wow that looks pretty solid actually.

I've been getting the itch for more Doom again. It's like at least twice a year thesedays. :lol: , still got some megawads downloaded that I didn't touch when I sunk 50 hours into Doom earlier this year.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 am

I created an unadulterated/fixed doom1/2 Chocolate 200P setup with SC55 flac soundtrack and fixed sprites for my bro's CRT arcade cab - trying for the best authentic experience as close as it could be to perfect hardware-centric back in the day except 200P isn't scanline-doubled, it's 15khz:
http://anapan.525lines.moe/doom.zip
But while putting this together and tweaking it to have a specific type of authentic vanilla feel, I found out about Brutal Doom!
Now I have almost no interest in FPS games, and although I enjoyed watching the trailer for the 2016 reboot, I can't say I was that interested.
I gotta say tho, the tweaks that this guy put on the old doom engine make for a really special kind of giblet splattering experience that I have been really enjoying -.
Apologies if this is old news here - I looked at it before, but the latest releases are a lot more polished than the early releases. - the extended kicks, burning melting and suffering the low level enemies endure are really hilarious.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom
I guess even 2013 release was impressive.
https://youtu.be/iKQSv8p9BXU
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:47 pm

I forget if we talked about this already, but anyone ever attempt a Nightmare run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3QDmOMnNc

Due to respawning enemies, on top of everything else, the only way to do Nightmare is to speedrun it. I've never really tried Nightmare, aside from the first few levels of the first episode of the first DOOM.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:24 am

It can be pretty fun. I think on XBLA there was an achievement to beat Episode 1 of Ultimate Doom all on Nightmare that I got. It's pretty doable if you play a bit of UV and know the layouts like that, but yeah you can't really dilly dally and need to keep moving.

Complex is still a mod I'm enjoying since the start of this thread earlier this year. It has even more difficulties haha, the second to last makes the enemies faster, and the last one makes the enemies faster while doing 50% more damage. I'm not sure if it has a Nightmare mode though. But the enemy roster is like quadrupled anyways and randomized.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 am

I'm still reading through the thread and will share my story of the Summer of DOOM when I was a kiddo :). Safe to say it is one of my top 3 influential games, hence my current avatar. I still play it often.

I also need to get with some current versions. Will ask you guys for help there. I currently go to DOSbox & the DoomX port on oXbox. The later runs well, having it all up to Doom 3 if you have a modded Xbox laying around.

I created a dedicated thread for another related discussion as it pertains specifically to the 3DO DOOM port & situational mess surrounding it. You guys in this thread will likely enjoy this video from the lead developer. I learned a lot. For example, the game was planned to run better on the "upcoming" 3DO M2 hardware. That is why the full screen cheat code (which kills the 3DO frame rate) exist. I was also just floored at what little she was given to work with. Check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52008

Sounds like she had a heavy hand in 3DO Killing Time as well. I plan on going back through her channel videos. I love this insight into the industry and one of my favorite titles.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun May 13, 2018 4:41 am

Hey people, I recently bought Doom 64 (which I largely ignored most of my life - assuming until more recently that it was just 'yet another' port of the original Doom, that came out in a time when the genre was evolving) and I have to say I am really loving it.

That said, it got me wondering whether I should check out Doom on PS1? What do you guys think? Is it worth playing? How has it aged? I know for a long time it was revered as the best console port of Doom available by a long shot. Firstly, I love console ports of games and secondly they interest me even more when they're not just a standard port. I understand it's like a remix, mixing levels from both Doom 1 and 2? I also understand it has a number of original and exclusive levels, which is also really interesting to check out.

But then the other part of me thinks it probably hasn't aged that well and since I'm thinking of picking up Doom 3 BFG Edition on PS3 (which is cheaper), I should just stick with that and play the versions of Doom I and II on there that are no doubt superior.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun May 13, 2018 7:36 am

Reprise wrote:Hey people, I recently bought Doom 64 (which I largely ignored most of my life - assuming until more recently that it was just 'yet another' port of the original Doom, that came out in a time when the genre was evolving) and I have to say I am really loving it.

That said, it got me wondering whether I should check out Doom on PS1? What do you guys think? Is it worth playing? How has it aged? I know for a long time it was revered as the best console port of Doom available by a long shot. Firstly, I love console ports of games and secondly they interest me even more when they're not just a standard port. I understand it's like a remix, mixing levels from both Doom 1 and 2? I also understand it has a number of original and exclusive levels, which is also really interesting to check out.

But then the other part of me thinks it probably hasn't aged that well and since I'm thinking of picking up Doom 3 BFG Edition on PS3 (which is cheaper), I should just stick with that and play the versions of Doom I and II on there that are no doubt superior.

The weird thing about DOOM on the PS1 is not only the remixed levels but the remixed enemies. It has levels from 1 and 2 but cuts out some of the most annoying enemies from 2, so you'll be playing through DOOM 2 levels but you'll never run into a Pain Elemental or an Archvile. That said, it's still an excellent console port if you're looking for old DOOM-y action, and I've never really cared for DOOM 3, so I'd recommend DOOM original any day of the week :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to Other Genres