RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 pm

OK, about Doom 3. I don't dislike the game, but there's a number of things I find wrong with it.

First, and most annoying, enemies don't stun when you shoot them. Hell, they don't even flinch. You can be emptying a clip into an enemy and they can still attack you. That's pretty lame. Also, it makes it hard to tell if you're actually hitting an enemy when they have no grunts or animation to indicate that you are. The only indication at all is the cross hair turning red. You (the player) on the other hand, get messed up easily. And by that I mean, the camera shakes around violently and is disorienting. Yeah, that's fair.

Second, your collision area is basically nonexistent. There's a few enemies that'll lunge themselves at you, but they end up so fucking close that you can't shoot them (and again, they don't stun at all when being shot by you). You have to look down at your fit to shoot them at this point.

Three, the shotgun sucks. How can the shotgun be your worst weapon in a Doom game? Enemies don't stun when you shoot them, so the shotgun ends up being way too slow to use. The only time it's useful at all is for those zombie enemies that walk really slow and have no weapons. On top of that, everyone knows that a point blank shotgun blast kills most enemies in one shot in classic Doom. In Doom 3, nope. Even lesser enemies still take two shots even at point blank range.

Four, monster closets are complete bullshit. In classic Doom there were tons of hidden doors that would open behind you as you walked past them, or whichever way they triggered. This happens (what seems like) so much more frequently in Doom 3. And the worst part is there's no auditory warning when this happens. In classic Doom, you could HEAR something open, or hear an enemy grunt. In Doom 3, you're walking down a hallway and then start taking damage from behind with no warning.

Which leads me to five, the stereo separation does you no favors. Now I don't know if this game is best played on a 5.1 setup or something, but playing in stereo sucks. When you actually DO hear the presence (usually because it warped in or was already there, otherwise see number 4 above) of an enemy, you can rarely locate it based on sound alone. You can walk into a large room and hear an enemy but have no way to pinpoint it's location.

Six, in addition to no stuns there's no good death animations either. It's hard to know exactly when you can stop firing at something. Now sometimes an enemy will get knocked around, but usually I find myself wasting ammo.

And a minor point to no stuns and no good death indication, I have no good way to know when to start/stop shooting at enemies that warp in. I don't know when I can START shooting because there's no stun or any indication. And I don't know when I can STOP shooting for the same reason. Hell, sometimes I fire at an enemy as soon as I see the warping (even before I can see the enemy itself) an the enemy eventually materializes then fades out without moving a muscles. It's kinda baffling, if you know what I mean.

Seven, enemies have to be standing pretty much touching an explosive barrel for the blast to kill them. In classic Doom, behind "close enough" will kill them with a chance of jibbing. Doom 3, yeah, they don't even flinch. I guess that makes sense. If you don't flinch from a shotgun blast to the face, why should a little explosion and shrapnel make you flinch? At least they're being consistent.

Eight, every time there's a new enemy introduced they have to give you an introductory cutscene for it. I dislike this because it takes you out of the game. The one for the first Lost Soul you encounter isn't bad, but the rest of them are just annoying.
Ack

by Ack Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:52 pm

You left out nine, the terrible grenade physics. Every grenade I have ever thrown in the game has bounced back and blown up in my face.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:10 am

Ack wrote:You left out nine, the terrible grenade physics. Every grenade I have ever thrown in the game has bounced back and blown up in my face.

Actually, I left out the physics in general. When a former human bounces around it's pretty comical. But when the (what I think are supposed to be) Cacodemons bounce around with the funny physics, they look like when you play "don't let the balloon touch the ground" or when you kill a boo in Super Mario 64.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Got my physical copy of Doom 4 in today and activated the Steam code. System requirements state 55 GB disk space required (Steam page, back of the box, etc). I go to download the game and it tells me I need 76 GB!

Now, I've found out two things from a Google search. One, under no circumstance should you be bitching about the install size. Doing so will get you flamed the fuck off the internet. And two, it would seem that the game was 55 GB at launch but grew to a 76 GB install after updates (apparently each update is like 10 fucking GB). What I will bitch about, and what the internet can go fuck itself if it has a problem with me saying so, is that the system requirements should be updated to reflect this! Would it have changed my decision to purchase the game if I knew the real install size? No, but I would have been able to make plans to accommodate it.

Does anyone know if there's a significant difference in loading times for Doom 4 on a SSD versus a mechanical drive? I didn't think we'd reach a point so fast where I can say this, but, I *only* have 119GB of free space on my SSD. And since you're forced to update the game, and updates are apparently 10GB a piece... Yeah, that's just not gonna work for me.

I have my old 120GB SSD that I could put back in my PC, it could be my DOOM drive! I can literally name the drive "DOOM" when I format it. As funny as that would be, I'd hate to have to devote an entire drive to just one game. So, yeah, will load times be torture if I install the game on a mechanical drive? My best mechanical drive benchmarks with 100 MB/s sequential read (says Samsung Magician software).
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Yeah dude... sorry about that. The space concern is utterly insane. I think it was like 40GB something pre-patches on the PS4. Can't help you on the rest though, I have no idea. 80GB is ridiculous no matter how you cut it.

Poor Doom 3. I don't disagree with some of your complaints, for comparison sake Half-Life 2 has aged much better in a lot of areas, as has FEAR 1 which I just replayed. Both have combat that absolutely kills Doom 3. But whenever I replay Doom 3, I beat it in like 2-3 sessions. I just think they did an awesome job nailing a really cool, dense spacey aesthetic that I love and it visually still holds up very well.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:43 pm

My Steam folder is on a WD Black HDD, rather than an SSD. DOOM was fine on that. I'm sure an SSD would be better, but load times were only annoying for the challenge maps due to short time limits on some.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:04 pm

Okay so I am on level 14 of Doom II, I really dislike the levels set in the city. They look ugly, they are blocky and it just doesn't have that "DOOM" feeling. Feels like a really poorly done 3rd party mod.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:15 pm

emwearz wrote:Okay so I am on level 14 of Doom II, I really dislike the levels set in the city. They look ugly, they are blocky and it just doesn't have that "DOOM" feeling. Feels like a really poorly done 3rd party mod.

They're my least favorite levels in Doom 2, but I don't rate them as low as poorly done 3rd party mods.

Xeogred wrote:Poor Doom 3.

It's not a bad game, I just think it could have been better.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:26 pm

If we're talking specific portions of Doom 1 and 2, I really wish there was more base levels like Episode 1 of Doom. It's by far my favorite even if it's super easy and I played it to death (Shareware). Just has such a cool vibe and I love the level designs. I'll have to check out the Doom 1 The Way id Did megawad, maybe it's better than the one made based off 2. I don't really have any beef with Doom 2's levels though. But I hate Icon of Sin levels.

Doom 64 is very like Doom 1 as well, where only a third or fourth of the game is sci-fi bases, with the rest being hell. The base levels are absolutely amazing in 64, I wanted more of that.

I'm calling these "base" levels since that's apparently what they call them and the textures in the sci-fi Quake 1 levels haha.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Doom 1 Episode 1 is definitely my favorite.
Return to Other Genres