RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 13096
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 am

Are you using gzdoom? Try adjusting the video settings to your liking.
Image

My Sale Thread - SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5218
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: The DOOM Thread

by RCBH928 Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Are you using gzdoom? Try adjusting the video settings to your liking.


Yes I am, I tried to play with the contrast and brightness to no avail. I will try it with the Steam client.

EDIT: I found the solution. There is a light settings deep in the menu that is set to "Dark" as default and you should turn it to "standard" but people seem to like "software" which is "closer to the original Doom look" so I did that. Why would any person waste his time programming a game to look black and set it as default?

Well... back to doom-ing
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5218
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: The DOOM Thread

by RCBH928 Fri May 22, 2020 5:00 pm

EDIT: I used cheat code "idclip" to get on with my life.

I need help with Sigil M4 I am stuck

After opening the final key over the bridge there are two metal blocks to the left and right that should be down but mine are not, looks like I missed the switch, and the wall that reveals the exit is up I am not sure how to activate it. I looked at some videos but I didnt see how they did it.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 13096
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Sat May 23, 2020 7:24 am

Maybe you'll have better luck the next time you play through SIGIL (because DOOM gets better every time you play through it).
Image

My Sale Thread - SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
User avatar
bmoc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1513
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: The DOOM Thread

by bmoc Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Limited Run Games is doing Doom64 for the Switch and PS4.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/doo ... 3556.phtml
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 13096
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:39 pm

So I've been wanting to do this for a while but I'm not sure why I haven't until now... pistol start each level!

I finished Knee Deep in the Dead with a pistol start for each level and it wasn't too bad at all. Now I'm playing Episode 2. The first two maps are fine, but E2M3 was a little tough. It took me a couple of attempts to clear the first room on the right as you start the level, but I realized if you prioritize getting the green armor and the berserk pack then it's fairly easy.
Image

My Sale Thread - SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Gunstar Green Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:So I've been wanting to do this for a while but I'm not sure why I haven't until now... pistol start each level!

I finished Knee Deep in the Dead with a pistol start for each level and it wasn't too bad at all. Now I'm playing Episode 2. The first two maps are fine, but E2M3 was a little tough. It took me a couple of attempts to clear the first room on the right as you start the level, but I realized if you prioritize getting the green armor and the berserk pack then it's fairly easy.


Pistol start really gives you a good appreciation for what levels are well designed and what levels aren't. I don't want to say it's how Doom was "meant to be played" or anything that silly but it's cool how every Doom level is intended to be its own miniature game with its own independent sense progression.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 13096
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:36 am

Gunstar Green wrote:Pistol start really gives you a good appreciation for what levels are well designed and what levels aren't. I don't want to say it's how Doom was "meant to be played" or anything that silly but it's cool how every Doom level is intended to be its own miniature game with its own independent sense progression.


Yeah, totally. I'm finding that out more and more in the second episode. When I first decided to play the game on UV, my method was save at the start of every level and don't die. If you die, then load your last save. So you have the benefit of armor and ammo carrying over. Playing DOOM this way, the way you go through each level doesn't matter as much. I mean that in the sense that you can usually clear multiple areas on a variety of different orders. It mostly comes down to preference. But with the pistol start, the order that you clear areas in levels matters a lot more. Naturally you want to get better weapons and armor, but there's a risk/reward thing. It might be easier to clear a certain area after getting a rocket launcher, but getting that rocket launcher without armor might be too risky. So I totally get what you're saying, each level is like its own mini adventure. I'm loving it so far!
Image

My Sale Thread - SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 13096
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Just beat Episode 3. There were a few maps that are really rough starts and pretty much require you to learn item locations and pick an optimal route. Map 8, the Spider Mastermind, definitely took me a few attempts. I've always just BFG'ed that thing to death. But with a pistol start, my method was to get the armor first then try and get the Spider Mastermind to in-fight with the Baron so I could collect all the rockets and plasma. Then you can use the center structure to peekaboo shoot him to death. But I was lucky enough to have the Baron occupy him long enough that I was able to take him out.

I'm a little afraid to start Episode 4...
Image

My Sale Thread - SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21513
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ack Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Just beat Episode 3. There were a few maps that are really rough starts and pretty much require you to learn item locations and pick an optimal route. Map 8, the Spider Mastermind, definitely took me a few attempts. I've always just BFG'ed that thing to death. But with a pistol start, my method was to get the armor first then try and get the Spider Mastermind to in-fight with the Baron so I could collect all the rockets and plasma. Then you can use the center structure to peekaboo shoot him to death. But I was lucky enough to have the Baron occupy him long enough that I was able to take him out.

I'm a little afraid to start Episode 4...

Don't be afraid! Remember, they are huge, which means they just have huge guts! Now go rip and tear!
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Other Genres

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest