RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: The DOOM Thread

by RCBH928 Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:59 am

Ack wrote:I admit, it's not for lack of trying. I sat down with Hexen II a couple of years back, but something about the resolution left me with a headache. .

I never got why this happens, when games were new everyone thinks the graphics are amazing but now when we look back at them they give us "headaches"
Damm64
Next-Gen

by Damm64 Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 am

Ack wrote:Hey, does the Doom 64 EX port incorporate modern controls such as WASD and mouse look? My N64 isn't hooked up at the moment...

Yes. I believe it that is the default controls when you start it as well. I suggest playing a bit with the mouse sensitivity, it felt way too slow for me.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Ack

by Ack Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 am

RCBH928 wrote:
Ack wrote:I admit, it's not for lack of trying. I sat down with Hexen II a couple of years back, but something about the resolution left me with a headache. .

I never got why this happens, when games were new everyone thinks the graphics are amazing but now when we look back at them they give us "headaches"

It's only certain games that do it, but I believe it has to do with resolution issues. The only games that have ever made me feel this way were Hexen II and Redline, and in Redline it was specifically the POV change from entering and exiting vehicles. On foot, I felt like I was playing in a tunnel, which is what bothered me.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:08 pm

Ack wrote:Hey, does the Doom 64 EX port incorporate modern controls such as WASD and mouse look? My N64 isn't hooked up at the moment...

Has a lot of options you'll find in gzdoom and such, so yeah. Check it out ASAP. Freaking amazing game and the art of 2D sprites and Doom's design allowed it to age perfectly... unlike Goldeneye. :P
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:51 am

Damn, I need to catch up in this thread. I've been too busy playing DOOM!

My Doom history...

Back in 95, my family got their first computer. One of my cousins, which was the family's go-to tech-wiz at the time, set up the computer for us and took the liberty of installing a bunch of useful software. One of them being Doom 95. You weren't a 90's kid if friends weren't randomly installing illegal copies of games on your computer without asking your permission first. Could you imagine today letting someone install some random software on your PC without asking if it's OK first? :lol:

I can't remember playing Doom for the first time, but I can remember playing a shit ton of it back then. I wasn't very good at it, and I used the cheat codes a lot. I had the cheat codes written down on an index card that I kept on the computer desk. I wasn't aware that you could use the mouse and keyboard, and it's pretty hard using only the keyboard.

A few years later, the family got a new computer and I lost Doom. I played the SNES port on a rental once, and was disappointed with it. When I was in high school, I got a Sega Saturn for the first time. I was looking on eBay for cheap Saturn games and found a brand new copy of Doom for $10! Back then, I thought it played pretty well on the Saturn (I'm not sure how I would feel about it today).

Sometime while I was still in high school, I got the Doom Collector's Edition. I got pissed that there was no mouse support in XP, so I took to the internet and found out about source ports for the first time. I grabbed Doomsday and away I went. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I played Doom 2 and Final Doom.

Most recently, I got the Doom collection on GoG when it was on sale. I've been playing all my Doom in DOSbox ever since.

Sadly, I sold my mint copy of Doom for the Saturn a few years ago. But I picked up a mint CIB copy of the PS1 version. From what I've read, the Saturn version is just an inferior port of the PS1 version. I have two PS1 consoles (one chipped), two CRTs in my mancave, and the PS1 link cable. At some point, I want to try the co-op mode in the PS1 version at least once.

I own Doom 64. I've played a bit of it, but it has some issues. The controllers aren't bad, but it's hard to adjust when you play so much Doom on the PC. Also, it's too fucking dark. I've been aware of Doom 64 EX for a while, and I really need to set that up at some point.

I got Doom 3 when it was semi-new. I thought it was OK, but I got bored with it toward the end. I have it on Steam now, and I plan to play through it again sometime soon.

Doom 4... I've heard good things about, but I haven't really liked a modern FPS in a while so I'm a bit scared to try it. I'll grab it at some point, but not for $60.

Damm64 wrote:I just recently discovered that if you stand in front of a pain elemental it cant do nothing to you, they cannot spawn lost souls and they lack a melee attack.

I would love to take the chainsaw to a Pain Elemental's face. The problem is that it's not always possible, as they're rarely on the same level as you. You often find them floating out of reach, or in rooms that have gaps in the floor so you can't reach them, etc.

Damm64 wrote:If you're looking into source ports Zdoom is great and easy to use.

Yeah, I'll start using a source port again at some point. There's just a few things I want to do with vanilla Doom first. From what I've read, I'll most likely go with Zdoom. Mainly because of this: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Master_Levels_Menu_Interface

Xeogred wrote:I recently decided that Doom is probably my third favorite game of all time

I don't bother to rank my favorites in my head, but there's a few games that I KNOW make my top 5. Doom is definitely in my top 5.

Xeogred wrote:Mods

Speaking about mods... Did you play John Romero's two new maps? I'm ashamed to say I haven't played them yet. I know. John Romero, co-creator of one of my all-time favorite video games, a walking legend, put out two new levels and I haven't played them yet. I would have played them, but I couldn't figure out how to get the WADs to work with DOSbox (they might require a source port - I don't know).

Xeogred wrote:Image

Doom 64 is extremely good and nobody should overlook this one! It's also extremely easy to play on PC today, very much like with Doom sourceports, you can play it with better controls, resolutions, and framerates than the original N64 cart. Years ago there was the "Absolution" conversion, but I highly recommend the newer EX port.

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

What impresses me about Doom 64 is how it's pretty damn hard on the higher levels. It's no pushover at all. Hell Knight's are practically the common Imp in the second half. It's definitely up there with Plutonia and one of the toughest official Doom installments. A shame it hasn't gotten official re-releases like the originals.

Doom 64 is awesome! I would have played more of it on N64, but it's too damn dark. I could get use to the N64 controls, but it's just too damn dark! I'll set up EX eventually and finally give this game a proper play through.

TSTR wrote:Also fuck chaingunners.

Chaingunners can ruin your shit, but I'll take them any day over a Pain (in the ass) Elemental or Arch-Vile!
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:56 am

My favorite thing about Chaingunners is one of the designers for Descent looked at them and said "You know, those guys aren't quite bullshit enough" and made the Medium Driller enemy.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:24 am

MrPopo wrote:My favorite thing about Chaingunners is one of the designers for Descent looked at them and said "You know, those guys aren't quite bullshit enough" and made the Medium Driller enemy.

That would actually explain a lot...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I got Doom 3 when it was semi-new. I thought it was OK, but I got bored with it toward the end. I have it on Steam now, and I plan to play through it again sometime soon.

Doom 4... I've heard good things about, but I haven't really liked a modern FPS in a while so I'm a bit scared to try it. I'll grab it at some point, but not for $60.

All of you guys a bit sour on Doom 3 should give the BFG edition a shot sometime. 1080p/60FPS (on the 360 as well), all guns have a flashlight, you can sprint longer, and it had some autosaves. It is the definitive edition and makes it more fun.

And bro... F that noise hehe. Doom 4 will blow your face off. Last year, I played Quake 1 and Quake 2 immediately after beating Doom 4, and everything felt pretty much exactly the same. A real testament to what they were pulling from and going back to. Doom 4 is quite possible the best single player FPS campaign since Half-Life 2 in the modern era. I got every single trophy on the PS4 and plan to buy it again on Steam to do it again and play it for years to come. God tier!

Speaking about mods... Did you play John Romero's two new maps? I'm ashamed to say I haven't played them yet. I know. John Romero, co-creator of one of my all-time favorite video games, a walking legend, put out two new levels and I haven't played them yet. I would have played them, but I couldn't figure out how to get the WADs to work with DOSbox (they might require a source port - I don't know).

Can't say I have, but I watched some youtube clips of them. They look pretty cool, I'm usually a little lazy about playing single wad maps.

John Romero seems like a super cool and humble dude though. Been seeing some newer interviews and such with him and I love how you can tell he loves this hobby just as much as us fans.

I'm about done with Doom 2 The Way Id Did, feels like a 6.5/10 or so. Overall it only feels like one map really stuck out and was cool, otherwise it's just been solid but nothing stellar compared to the official games and other megawads.

I'd recommend gzdoom over zdoom thesedays (zdoom support was officially put to rest last year I think) and don't expect too much out of the Doom 2 Master Levels... they're lost levels for a reason, haha. They were in the Doom Classic Complete collection on the PSN too (which included Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia, TNT, the originally exclusive XBLA new episode which was awesome, and Doom 2 Master Levels. One hell of a package honestly).
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:07 pm

I did it! I beat Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence!

Xeogred wrote:All of you guys a bit sour on Doom 3 should give the BFG edition a shot sometime. 1080p/60FPS (on the 360 as well), all guns have a flashlight, you can sprint longer, and it had some autosaves. It is the definitive edition and makes it more fun.

To be fair, around the time that I played it, I was starting to get sick of FPS in general. I don't remember having an issue with the flashlight, but yeah, I got the BFG edition on Steam a couple months ago. I'm gonna play through Final Doom on HMP first, and then I plan to play Doom 3. I've actually been wanting to replay Doom 3 for a while now.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Congrats on the UV Doom 2 run! It ain't easy.
Return to Other Genres