RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ack Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:39 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I have never beaten a Doom solo.
Doom 1&2 never interested me outside of multiplayer, and I got bored in Doom 3 preducttape mod.

I have beaten all four of the main Dooms solo, along with Final Doom. I've also beaten all four Quakes and their expansion packs. I do need to get around to beating Doom 64 one of these days...and Hexen 2.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Ack wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:I have never beaten a Doom solo.
Doom 1&2 never interested me outside of multiplayer, and I got bored in Doom 3 preducttape mod.

I have beaten all four of the main Dooms solo, along with Final Doom. I've also beaten all four Quakes and their expansion packs. I do need to get around to beating Doom 64 one of these days...and Hexen 2.

Yes you do. Doom 64 is quite well put together, and Hexen 2 is decent, though I think the original had better level design (there were several points in Hexen 2 that I just could not figure out how to progress).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:38 pm

I admit, it's not for lack of trying. I sat down with Hexen II a couple of years back, but something about the resolution left me with a headache. I made it a good chunk of the way through the game, but I just couldn't work up the steam to finish.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:47 pm

The final boss is a pain in the ass in a bad way. I think I used this source port: http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/

But I could be wrong; for me the Quake 2 engine was on the right side of being able to handle high resolutions gracefully so it's less necessary.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Cool, I'm glad you capitalized DOOM. It's fun to type it out as DooM too. I recently decided that Doom is probably my third favorite game of all time, or maybe has potential to sweep in under Super Metroid and Link to the Past. Gasp! Can't believe I'm saying that. But when I say Doom, I incorporate Doom 2, Final, and all the endless fan made megawads out there, so maybe that's cheating. But the megawad community has been going consistently strong since 1993... so by this point, a lot of them outclass the vanilla games in many ways and have surpassed them. The architecture and level design can be truly breathtaking with some fan maps. The well runs deep and I keep finding myself going back to Doom over the decades and always get to dive into new content I haven't played before. The formula is perfect and there seems to be an endless barrage of maps... pure pipe dream. It's utterly timeless.

TSTR wrote:Also fuck chaingunners.

You'd LOVE Plutonia. :P

Ziggy587 wrote:Aside from checking out a few of the Master Levels, I've yet to dig into any mods. I've seen a bunch of stuff on YouTube that looks pretty neat. But I think the huge number of mods in existence makes it kinda taunting to dive into. The Way Id Did sounds pretty interesting though, I'll have to check that one out. I'll have to check out Complex Doom on YouTube, but I'm not sure if that would be something I'd like or not.

Speaking of mods... How do you feel about source ports? What I mean is, engines that allow you to significantly alter gameplay, graphics, etc. I've seen a ton of YouTube videos with the higher resolutions textures / sprites and upgraded lighting / visuals, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I used Doomsday back in the XP days, but I never used any mods. I was only using Doomsday because The Doom Collector's Edition didn't have mouse support on XP. Lately I've just been playing the games in DOSbox.

It's worth separating mods and megawads. I could easily point you into the direction of better megwads to check out instead of The Way Id Did, for sure. It can be daunting, but the good news is the top tier ones are almost universal among the fanbase across the board. The only problem you might run into is the difficulty or "slaughter wads" where they're just ridiculously tough and too much. But I tend to skip over those.

Megawad = generally means ~32 maps like a full new episode.

What I have played:
Alien Vendetta - top favorite (also the name might be misleading, but it's all vanilla Doom textures/monsters... masterful level design)
Valiant - #2! Changes pistol and chaingun, some new enemies that feel authentic
Ancient Aliens - Weird new textures and neon lights that might be annoying, but it was very good
Vanguard - shorter and older ~12 map set by the guy who did Valiant and Ancient Aliens, not bad
Memento Mori 1-2 - these are older ones I can highly recommend
Hell Revealed 1-2 - extremely hard, I can't remember them much
Community Chest Pack 1-3 - as they sound, I think every single map is a different author so the quality can vary a lot, but it can be cool to go through a megawad with such an array of diversity and the homeruns can be awesome

Community Chest Pack 4 sounds extremely good and like a new gold standard. I might check that one out next.

Here's where you can get everything:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

I fully endorse sourceports! But yeah, I only enjoy the control options, higher resolutions, and framerate. I never play Doom with vertical mouse look, jumping, etc and like to keep it fairly vanilla, which is why I mentioned Brutal Doom never interested me much. Though I'm digging Complex Doom. I've replayed the official Doom's a lot through all the official ports, like Doom 3 BFG edition, both the XBLA and PSN collection releases, etc haha.

I was a big supporter of ZDoom over the years, but I'm using the latest version of GZDoom now. If you own Doom 2 on Steam, you can install it to that /base/ directory, then rename gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe so you'll load that up instead... and Steam will keep track of your time. Now that I'm doing this it will probably rack up the most hours for me haha.

https://gzdoom.drdteam.org/index.php

gzdoom even supports gamepads flawlessly. But I'm 10x better with Doom on a mouse/keyboard. I got all the achievements/trophies for the XBLA/PSN releases though and those controller controls are kind of clunky, haha.

I haven't gotten too fancy with anything else, launchers, or whatever. I just throw in a single line in the config file to play whatever megawad I'm playing at the time. Let me know if you need any help on this.

This guy has a lot of non-commentary playlists and plays vanilla gzdoom, here's a nice Valiant map to check that out and how it all looks, basically how my setup is too, so as you can see, the changes aren't too dramatic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVCD9yQBkM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeYJ5wymTus

Ancient Aliens! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvXQ11nhjms

--------------------------

Doom 64 is extremely good and nobody should overlook this one! It's also extremely easy to play on PC today, very much like with Doom sourceports, you can play it with better controls, resolutions, and framerates than the original N64 cart. Years ago there was the "Absolution" conversion, but I highly recommend the newer EX port.

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

What impresses me about Doom 64 is how it's pretty damn hard on the higher levels. It's no pushover at all. Hell Knight's are practically the common Imp in the second half. It's definitely up there with Plutonia and one of the toughest official Doom installments. A shame it hasn't gotten official re-releases like the originals.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 pm

The first time I played DOOM was in 1993. At that point I'd already played through and beaten Wolfenstein 3D. And I'd played (but not beaten) Catacomb 3-D. But DOOM was on a whole new, super addictive level. I spent a lot of time playing it in 1994, beat the game, as well as made my own custom WADs (new levels and weapons) and shared them with friends. DOOM was the first online multiplayer game I ever played as well. Used to deathmatch with friends over dial-up modems. DOOM was also the first game I ever bothered setting up surround sound for. The original DOOM is truly a legit classic and a deservedly hugely influential progenitor.

I got DOOM II: Hell on Earth when it came out, but I don't recall if I beat it or not. I probably beat it with a cheat. I remember enjoying it, but also thinking DOOM II felt more like an expansion pack than a proper sequel.

I played but did not finish Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II, and Strife when they all came out. I thought they were interesting, nice graphics, nice atmospheres, but none of them had the same addictive polish of the first DOOM.

I loved and finished the original Quake and Quake II, both around the time they released. id still had their magic with those. Quake III being an arena only FPS wasn't my thing for very long, and I've not played Quake IV.

I loved Heretic II, actually beat that one. I never read anyone talking about it though, not in years upon years. A hidden gem if you ask me. (I think the problem is that it went third person instead of being first person, a turn off to fans of the original.)

When DOOM 3 came out... very impressive graphics and tech. Boring, one-note gameplay that couldn't hold my attention. Didn't get too far in it. The constant "imp in the closet" style design coupled with constantly having to swap the flashlight / gun was just dumb city.

The new DOOM looks pretty badass, I'll admit. Wouldn't mind playing it eventually.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Doom games I love:

Doom 1
Doom 2
Doom 64
Doom 3
Doom 4

I don't like Wolfenstein 3D or Heretic. Doom spoiled me and I'd rather play more Doom.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:05 am

I have a soft spot for Wolf3D because I'm pretty sure it was the first game I played where I got to kill Nazis, and that's a pretty satisfying feeling.

Xeogred wrote:
TSTR wrote:Also fuck chaingunners.
You'd LOVE Plutonia. :P

Oh, I've tried, believe me. I think I like Evilution better, though I've never completed either. Plutonia has way too much brown going on, haha.
Damm64
Next-Gen

by Damm64 Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:53 am

DOOM 64 is great, though i have huge nostalgia glasses on this game maybe even more than the original DOOM, shame that everytime theres a talk about the games 64 gets kinda left out.

Theres also a total conversion of the PS1 version of DOOM, i know that is almost the same but the lightning and new sound effects really change the atmosphere of the game. I find myself enjoying a bit more the smaller and shorter levels made for the PS1.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Ack

by Ack Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 am

Hey, does the Doom 64 EX port incorporate modern controls such as WASD and mouse look? My N64 isn't hooked up at the moment...
Return to Other Genres