The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ziggy

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by Ziggy »

I'm not holding my breath for GOG. Apparently they implemented DRM into the recent ports of DOOM 1 and 2, you have to create and log into an account in order to play the games. Although, DOOM 3 is on GOG, so who knows?

But yeah, I would love an official PC port of DOOM 64. The N64 port is broken with how dark it is. I'm hoping for GOG, but I would definitely get it on Steam otherwise.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I heard they're rolling back the Doom 1 & 2 stuff.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood asks you to sign in to Bethnet at start, but you can ESC past it. And then you never hear about it again (until the next time you boot the game). And apparently it gets rid of anything microtransaction related? That's the only thing I can think of, because I've never seen anything that made it seem like there was something I could pay to win for, but I've seen people complaining about "microtransactions shoved down our throat" and have no idea what they're talking about. The only thing that even hints at the fact this isn't just a single player game (aside from the optional coop) is the daily/weekly challenges for extra cash.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Doom 64 is a weird game that feels more like a less advanced Quake at times than it does Doom, mainly because it likes environmental traps more than running and gunning. I used to really like it but the more Doom I play the more I look back on Doom 64 without as much fondness. It has the best final boss out of any Doom though, not that that's saying much, but it's a cool level.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Ziggy587 wrote:I'm not holding my breath for GOG. Apparently they implemented DRM into the recent ports of DOOM 1 and 2, you have to create and log into an account in order to play the games. Although, DOOM 3 is on GOG, so who knows?

But yeah, I would love an official PC port of DOOM 64. The N64 port is broken with how dark it is. I'm hoping for GOG, but I would definitely get it on Steam otherwise.

Doom 3 never had that requirement of logging in, only 1 and 2. For 3 you could just cancel on the log in and go about your game. They have since said that they are chaning it, never specified if it was on purpose or not, but regardless moving forward it won't need a log in.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

The BethesdaNet login was for people who are in the “Doom Sayers Club” to get some sort of cheevos. Here’s their statement on it:

“The BethesdaNet login requirement was included for the Slayers Club, to reward members for playing the classic DOOM games,” Bethesda told IGN in a statement. “The login should be optional, and we are working on changing the requirement to optional now. We will update everyone when a fix is ready.”
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:How does it play to, say, the PS1 port?

Well... this took me forever. Finally booted up PS2 homebrew Doom. As suspected, looks to be the PC wad with no music. You can tell from the PC screens shown within gameplay, not shown in console ports. Also no additional lighting effects in PSX Doom. Pics:

I literally found a single... 1... YT vid on this. He's booting the doom 2 wad.

https://youtu.be/GWQmfGYGl5I

Interesting comment by theKHfan says:
Resolution is 300 x 200
30 FPS
Can boot following wads:
Doom, Doom 1 (shareware), Doom 2

I'm running a compiled ISO off USB from OPL with Doom 1 shareware wad baked in. The resolution explains me having to run over s video or composite. My TV doesn't like anything below 480 over component.

There's just not a lot out there on this. Hope this helps 8)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Was in a rush earlier & wanted to add more here on PS2 Doom.

Controls: Well these are weird. Directional arrows are mapped to left joystick. This works fine. Unfortunately strafe is mapped to right joystick vs shoulder buttons. This takes some significant getting used to. R1 is fire, R2 is action/door open.

SFX: These all appear to be here with no music.

FPS: 30 FPS sounds about right. Runs smooth.

Resolution: IIRC Doom originally ran at 320 x 200. According to the random YT comment above, we're close to that. Again, not much out there on this game. I don't have a Retro Tink or XRGB to test this upscaled to HDMI. Would be interested to see how it looks. My TV doesn't play well with lower res over component. This does look SIGNIFICANTLY better over s video vs composite though.

I had to hook up component > put OPL in 480i > save settings > hook up s vid cables > start OPL > boot Doom

Overall: This is only for nutters like Ziggy & me into both Doom & the PS2 mod scene. I'll eventually try to make my own ISOs with the other wads. For now, I'm satisfied knowing it works. We'll see how long that last...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Overall: This is only for nutters like Ziggy & me into both Doom & the PS2 mod scene. I'll eventually try to make my own ISOs with the other wads. For now, I'm satisfied knowing it works. We'll see how long that last...

Thanks for the info, Jag! I may have to check it out just because, like you said, I'm a DOOM nutter!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Overall: This is only for nutters like Ziggy & me into both Doom & the PS2 mod scene. I'll eventually try to make my own ISOs with the other wads. For now, I'm satisfied knowing it works. We'll see how long that last...

Thanks for the info, Jag! I may have to check it out just because, like you said, I'm a DOOM nutter!

Let me know if you need the compiled ISO. I can get it over to you. Took me FOREVER to find a working version. Single file. Shows right up in OPL under USB games.

Now... I need to dive into creating my own compiled ISO with other wads. Eventually...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well... looks like the Doom port on the Jaguar is about to get a massive overhaul. Cross post from Jag SD thread:

This is the type of thing that makes the Jaguar SD cart so appealing. The homebrew community is just amazing.

They're (Reboot + others) working on Doom patches expected to include:

- added music ..... WHAT!? Trying at least
- better save function (keep items, health, etc)
- True strafing (versus using B IIRC) via shoulder - see re-released 6 button controller released recently
- Spiderdemon added back in

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/28732 ... /#comments

We'll see how this progresses. Could be an impressive feat. Looks the music was crushing the bus bottle necks initially.