The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by Xeogred »

I guess I was just talking about it on another forum weeks back. Romero was even streaming some of the levels and stuff on Twitch off and on. You might want to keep an eye on his twitter. Honestly if you message him there maybe he'll get back to you. The maps are still going to be free, it's just all the extras for somewhat of a collectors edition that he's selling. Apparently Buckethead is the doing the music too.

He also made a new map in 2016 which was cool:
https://www.polygon.com/2016/1/15/10776 ... e-download

But yeah I'm stoked for a full sized episode!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, that's the reason Doom needs to win the TR poll.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I guess I just kind of assumed someone else already posted about Sigil so I apologize for not raising the alert.

I'm definitely stoked to play it. Romero's levels in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are some of my favorites from the classic IWADs and of course he made most of "Knee Deep in the Dead" which is one of the most iconic sets of levels in gaming. His recent re-imaginings of E1M4 and E1M8 were both a ton of fun so I'm confident he hasn't lost his stride.

Ziggy587 wrote:I'm kinda pissed that I only just found out about this since the preorders are already closed. I would have loved to preorder the basic edition. There's no info that I can find whether it will be available outside of the preorders.

Romero said on the stream that after the cut off for pre-orders on December 24th that would be it for physical editions unfortunately. Ebay will be the only place to find them for an arm and a leg.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I heard the release was delayed. Romero's website still says February 2019. Anyone hear about any updates?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Limited Run had production problems and are expecting to ship sometime in April. Romero doesn't want to release the free WAD until the people who paid have their copies.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Finished SIGIL on both "Hurt Me Plenty" and "Ultra Violence" including the secret level and I really enjoyed it. On the former it's a well balanced follow-up to episode 4 of Ultimate Doom as intended and on the latter it's about as brutal as you can make a vanilla Doom 1 episode without being totally unfair, it will definitely try the patience of anyone who's not used to harder Doom content because it requires a lot of careful play, ammo conservation and sometimes simply avoiding fights. The maps are very John Romero in that they thoughtfully designed while full of sometimes nasty surprises, there are a few design elements that I didn't love but nothing that really broke me.

This review probably sums up my feelings the best: https://youtu.be/EMHq6Zh0hlM

SIGIL isn't going to light everyone's fire, especially people who weren't a fan of Romero's maps in Episode 4, "Thy Flesh Consumed," but I really enjoyed it and found the atmosphere impressive for a WAD that uses stock Doom assets. I didn't even notice the missing Doom 2 monsters much since the level design was made so challenging on its own.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I am slowly playing through Sigil, trying to mete it out over a map or two a day...

I am about 2/3 done...and already it strikes me as a fantastic addition/expansion to Doom. I really like the level design, some of it has made me pause and have to figure out what to do, and the action is quick and brutal throughout. That OST is pretty sweet too.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just went ahead and beat it... :lol:
Last edited by dsheinem on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Did you guys see this Doom on NES project?

https://hackaday.com/2019/06/06/doom-on-the-nes/

Port to my microwave is next!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Question about GZDOOM, is there a way to select custom WADs in the WAD selection window? Whenever I load GZDOOM, I can only see my official WADs to select from. I know I can drag a custom WAD onto GZDOOM and launch it that way, but I'd much prefer to be able to select it form a list like you can with the official WADs. Does anyone know?

I was waiting so patiently for SI6IL to release and just when it finally does my desktop started acting up. I didn't feel like playing on my laptop, but now I have my new desktop up and running so I can finally play it! I might start it today.

Jagosaurus wrote:Did you guys see this Doom on NES project?

That's awesome! :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I can't help you with GZDoom; I use Doomsday and it has a nice launcher UI where you can set it to use Ultimate Doom WAD as base with Sigil as a mod WAD (though you have to use the compatibility WAD).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.