The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
MrPopo

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by MrPopo »

I think the biggest problem with the crushing ceiling part is it is not very obvious where the safe spots are, especially with them being oddly shaped. It's just not a strength of the engine, so relying so heavily on it for that part destroys the pacing.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

There was a little alcove about halfway through that area that had two floor tiles that would turn the crushing ceiling off and on. The problem though is it didn't do any good. I could stop them from moving, but since they're all at staggered heights it was impossible to stop it at a time that gave you a clear path to the exit of the area. Some of the crushers would be too low and block you. So I had to leave it on and try my luck. The last stretch I just got so annoyed and make a mad dash. I took a lot of damage but I was able to get out with my life!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Not to mention if you're playing legit without vertical mouselook, it's even harder haha. And yeah those two switches... I'm not sure if there was a point to that or not. Maybe a secret room somewhere in that area.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The ceiling crushers was easily my least favorite part and I feel like it's something people are always going to remember about this WAD for better or worse. It's memorable if nothing else.

Unspeakable Persecution (E5M6) was my favorite level, and it's also named Unspeakable Persecution which is an amazing name for a Doom level.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've might have asked this before in this thread, but I've been wondering about this for a while. Before SIGIL, Romero made two new DOOM levels for the only two levels in Episode 1 that weren't his. E1M4b and E1M8b. But they're two separate WADs, meaning you can't play through the entire episode with both new Romero levels. So my question is, are there tools out there that will allow you to extract and insert individual levels from WADs? Because if so, I would like insert both E1M4b and E1M8b into the same WAD.

edit: Actually, you know what would have been cool? If 4b and 8b were included in the SIGIL WAD.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I know the first thing you've asked for has already been done but I don't have a working link. I'd suggest asking at the Doomworld forums, they'll hook you up.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I beat SIGIL on Hurt Me Plenty, and overall it was a lot of fun. All of the maps were a blast to play. Dare I say, I think SIGIL is more fun to play through than Episode 3 or maybe even 4.

Anyway, I cheated and warped to map 9, and I cheated with God mode toward the end of map 9, but I'll play it straight at some point. Right now I will attempt an Ultra-Violent playthrough as well as trying to find more secrets. Got the 100% trifecta on the first level, so I'm off to a good start!

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.55 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Go all the way Ziggy and do PISTOL START UV. :twisted:

Ammo management is nuts on UV.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:Go all the way Ziggy and do PISTOL START UV. :twisted:

Ammo management is nuts on UV.

Just got to be smart with the chainsaw and zerk packs which it feels like everyone has collectively forgotten how to do.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yep. Make some cut up stew with the zombies, imps, and pinkies.

Also knowing the secret of the Berserk pack helps...

Once you pick it up, you have it for the rest of the entire level, even AFTER the red screen effect.