RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ziggy587

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 am

Are you using gzdoom? Try adjusting the video settings to your liking.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Are you using gzdoom? Try adjusting the video settings to your liking.

Yes I am, I tried to play with the contrast and brightness to no avail. I will try it with the Steam client.

EDIT: I found the solution. There is a light settings deep in the menu that is set to "Dark" as default and you should turn it to "standard" but people seem to like "software" which is "closer to the original Doom look" so I did that. Why would any person waste his time programming a game to look black and set it as default?

Well... back to doom-ing
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri May 22, 2020 5:00 pm

EDIT: I used cheat code "idclip" to get on with my life.

I need help with Sigil M4 I am stuck

After opening the final key over the bridge there are two metal blocks to the left and right that should be down but mine are not, looks like I missed the switch, and the wall that reveals the exit is up I am not sure how to activate it. I looked at some videos but I didnt see how they did it.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat May 23, 2020 7:24 am

Maybe you'll have better luck the next time you play through SIGIL (because DOOM gets better every time you play through it).
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Limited Run Games is doing Doom64 for the Switch and PS4.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/doo ... 3556.phtml
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:39 pm

So I've been wanting to do this for a while but I'm not sure why I haven't until now... pistol start each level!

I finished Knee Deep in the Dead with a pistol start for each level and it wasn't too bad at all. Now I'm playing Episode 2. The first two maps are fine, but E2M3 was a little tough. It took me a couple of attempts to clear the first room on the right as you start the level, but I realized if you prioritize getting the green armor and the berserk pack then it's fairly easy.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:So I've been wanting to do this for a while but I'm not sure why I haven't until now... pistol start each level!

I finished Knee Deep in the Dead with a pistol start for each level and it wasn't too bad at all. Now I'm playing Episode 2. The first two maps are fine, but E2M3 was a little tough. It took me a couple of attempts to clear the first room on the right as you start the level, but I realized if you prioritize getting the green armor and the berserk pack then it's fairly easy.

Pistol start really gives you a good appreciation for what levels are well designed and what levels aren't. I don't want to say it's how Doom was "meant to be played" or anything that silly but it's cool how every Doom level is intended to be its own miniature game with its own independent sense progression.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:36 am

Gunstar Green wrote:Pistol start really gives you a good appreciation for what levels are well designed and what levels aren't. I don't want to say it's how Doom was "meant to be played" or anything that silly but it's cool how every Doom level is intended to be its own miniature game with its own independent sense progression.

Yeah, totally. I'm finding that out more and more in the second episode. When I first decided to play the game on UV, my method was save at the start of every level and don't die. If you die, then load your last save. So you have the benefit of armor and ammo carrying over. Playing DOOM this way, the way you go through each level doesn't matter as much. I mean that in the sense that you can usually clear multiple areas on a variety of different orders. It mostly comes down to preference. But with the pistol start, the order that you clear areas in levels matters a lot more. Naturally you want to get better weapons and armor, but there's a risk/reward thing. It might be easier to clear a certain area after getting a rocket launcher, but getting that rocket launcher without armor might be too risky. So I totally get what you're saying, each level is like its own mini adventure. I'm loving it so far!
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Just beat Episode 3. There were a few maps that are really rough starts and pretty much require you to learn item locations and pick an optimal route. Map 8, the Spider Mastermind, definitely took me a few attempts. I've always just BFG'ed that thing to death. But with a pistol start, my method was to get the armor first then try and get the Spider Mastermind to in-fight with the Baron so I could collect all the rockets and plasma. Then you can use the center structure to peekaboo shoot him to death. But I was lucky enough to have the Baron occupy him long enough that I was able to take him out.

I'm a little afraid to start Episode 4...
Ack

by Ack Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Just beat Episode 3. There were a few maps that are really rough starts and pretty much require you to learn item locations and pick an optimal route. Map 8, the Spider Mastermind, definitely took me a few attempts. I've always just BFG'ed that thing to death. But with a pistol start, my method was to get the armor first then try and get the Spider Mastermind to in-fight with the Baron so I could collect all the rockets and plasma. Then you can use the center structure to peekaboo shoot him to death. But I was lucky enough to have the Baron occupy him long enough that I was able to take him out.

I'm a little afraid to start Episode 4...

Don't be afraid! Remember, they are huge, which means they just have huge guts! Now go rip and tear!
Return to Other Genres