RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ziggy587

The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 am

Racketboy needs an official thread for DOOM talk!

Ziggy wrote:

I'm playing through Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence for the first time (without cheating). This level has kicked my ass in the past, so I was pleasantly surprised with how well I did. Not only was I able to finish the level with 200% health and a good reserve of ammo, but I got 100% on everything. Aside from a few levels in the first episode of the first Doom, I rarely get 100% on all three. I'm not sure what the 101% is all about, but I took a screenshot of this screen as a trophy!

Xeogred wrote:Nice Ziggy. If you want to talk Doom let me know.

Let's talk Doom!

Xeogred wrote:I find Doom 2 to be easier than Doom 1. The super shotgun and more open space levels make it a lot more manageable. Doom 1 also has four "episodes" with a forced pistol start for each, but in Doom 2 you can continually go through the entire game. Cacodemons are an issue in Doom 1 but not so much in 2 with the super shotgun.

The super shotgun takes down Cacodemons easier, sure, but Doom 2 also has those damn Pain Elementals. If you're not prepared for them, they ruin your fucking day! Doom 2 adds some pretty tough new monsters, but most of them aren't too hard. Arch-vile is pretty damn tough though. But those fucking Pain Elementals!

I don't know, I think Doom 2 is the harder game because of all the tough monsters that they added. Even after you learn how to deal with them, they eat up a lot of ammo! On my current playthrough, level 9 ate up all my ammo. I had to get really creative for level 10 since I started with almost no ammo, and I don't wanna type in "idkfa".

Xeogred wrote:Plutonia I've never attempted on UV and am not sure I ever will. It's easily much, much harder, and just downright cheap with traps and chaingunner abuse. TNT is such a mixed bag level design wise haha, but it's a little easier to me.

Yeah, I think most people would agree that Plutonia is overall better than TNT. From what I've read, two brothers made Plutonia while a team of people (including said two brothers) made TNT. That explains why TNT is a mixed bag.

I've never played Final Doom on UV either. I didn't play Final Doom nearly as much as 1 and 2. When I'm done with Doom 2 on UV, I plan to play both TNT and Plutonia on the Hurt Me Plenty difficulty. I can't recall if I ever played through either of them, all the way through without cheating I mean.

Xeogred wrote:I'm playing a bunch of megawads lately. Just beat Valiant which was incredible, then Ancient Aliens, and now Doom 2 The Way Id Did, which is a megawad that tries to replicate the design and feel of Doom 2. It does it decently enough, I'm up to map 20 or so. But it does just kind of feel like more of the Doom 2's Master Levels, which were a mixed bag.

I'm finally playing with a cool mod though... Complex Doom. It probably quadruples the roster of enemies giving them all different variations and randomizing a lot of them which is very cool. All the weapons have been redesigned as well and there's a lot more, like there's a shotgun, double barrel shotgun, quad shotgun, and automatic shotgun... it's awesome, there's also some item drops you can use for ammo, health, and armor. And you get mines and grenades to use. I was never too interested in Brutal Doom and like to keep it vanilla, but Complex looked really neat and kind of like it could have been a natural extension. It might sound like all the extra stuff maybe makes it easier, but I'd say not so much because of a lot of the insane new enemies. Like the rare Quad Shotgun marine, he can basically one shot you.

All weapons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJeYrvWLmZc

There is like no FAQ or info on it that I can dig up though, just some youtube videos... I've been having fun watching all of this guys stuff. I almost never get into LP's, but something about his frantic intensity and Doom is fun haha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K0W6G4rhVM

(note he plays with a secondary mod as well, LCA that adds legendary monsters which cues the music changes and such. They basically one shot you and doesn't look like my cup of tea haha).

Aside from checking out a few of the Master Levels, I've yet to dig into any mods. I've seen a bunch of stuff on YouTube that looks pretty neat. But I think the huge number of mods in existence makes it kinda taunting to dive into. The Way Id Did sounds pretty interesting though, I'll have to check that one out. I'll have to check out Complex Doom on YouTube, but I'm not sure if that would be something I'd like or not.

Speaking of mods... How do you feel about source ports? What I mean is, engines that allow you to significantly alter gameplay, graphics, etc. I've seen a ton of YouTube videos with the higher resolutions textures / sprites and upgraded lighting / visuals, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I used Doomsday back in the XP days, but I never used any mods. I was only using Doomsday because The Doom Collector's Edition didn't have mouse support on XP. Lately I've just been playing the games in DOSbox.

MrPopo wrote:I know on Nightmare you can get greater than 100% of the kills due to the demon respawning mechanic; essentially the game totals up your frags and divides by the number of pre-placed monsters to give you a total. So if you kill a demon twice that counts as two frags but there was only one demon, so on a simple map like that you'd get 200% kills.

I was wondering if a Pain Elemental or the Arch-vile in that level could have caused that extra 1%.
Last edited by Ziggy587 on Sun May 13, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
MrPopo

Re: The DOOM Thread

by MrPopo Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:40 am

I believe the arch vile can.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:46 am

If you're looking to play DOOM on your Android phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... k.DoomGLES
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Damm64
Next-Gen

by Damm64 Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:22 am

I just recently discovered that if you stand in front of a pain elemental it cant do nothing to you, they cannot spawn lost souls and they lack a melee attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC_w7m4yCUM

You can see a bit of that in that video.

Now arch viles... i hate them with a burning hate.

If you're looking into source ports Zdoom is great and easy to use.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 am

This game needs psychological analysis...
What is it that makes people come back for this game/series even 23 years after its release...
mods, books, sequels, discussions, fan art...you name it...
Ack

by Ack Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 am

MrPopo wrote:I believe the arch vile can.

Yeah, it was probably Archie.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:50 pm

The original Doom has some of the most amazing music ever. Whenever I'd sprint with a pistol out in Resident Evil 7, I'd just imagine the Doom music playing in my head.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Fun fact, some of those OG DOOM tunes are take-offs of Metallica and Pantera riffs.

I'M GONNA SING THE DOOM SONG NOW!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:34 pm

I have never beaten a Doom solo.
Doom 1&2 never interested me outside of multiplayer, and I got bored in Doom 3 preducttape mod.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Also fuck chaingunners.
Return to Other Genres