The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by noiseredux »

My games are on a 3TB HDD, only OS is on SSD, and I often uninstall games I feel done with so I never even think about space. Doom loaded fine on HDD tho.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

isiolia wrote:My Steam folder is on a WD Black HDD, rather than an SSD. DOOM was fine on that. I'm sure an SSD would be better, but load times were only annoying for the challenge maps due to short time limits on some.

noiseredux wrote:My games are on a 3TB HDD, only OS is on SSD, and I often uninstall games I feel done with so I never even think about space. Doom loaded fine on HDD tho.

Cool. Thanks, guys.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I bought a 6TB WD Black myself a few months ago for Steam and other stuff, it's definitely been awesome. I do what noise does and only have the OS on my SSD.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Ziggy587 wrote:Doom 1 Episode 1 is definitely my favorite.

This is surely the general view?

Like above, I have my OS and a few essential programs on my 120GB SSD, the rest is on a couple 2TB HDD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey Ziggy, the reason DOOM 4 has gotten so much bigger is due to the DLC expansion content, much of which is focused around the multiplayer. The game really feels like three different games, and once you play through the single player campaign, I do recommend at least taking a look at the SnapMap content just to see what kind of cool stuff folks have come up with. Some of it is pretty unique.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

People have even made like RTS's and other genres in there, somehow.

Unfortunately another extreme and obvious case of split dev teams handling different sides of the game though. I think the general consensus over the multiplayer beta was "eh", but then when the game launched and people got into the campaign... it was an entirely different beast. It's one of those games where multiplayer is fun to dabble in for like a day, but nothing more. Like Ack said, it feels like three completely different games in ways.

To this day it sounds like id and Bethesda are trying really hard to push the notion that the multiplayer is great and something special, on twitter and such. I'm guessing they had all the DLC in the pipeline before it all launched, but they really should have knocked out more single player content instead. But I'd love a sequel that's more of the same like another Doom 2 case. That's my only complaint with Doom 4... I wanted more! (don't worry though, the campaign is a good chunk and going for the platinum I got like 20 some hours out of it).
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hey Xeogred, have you played the No Rest for the Living Doom 2 "episode"? I just realized that it's included with Doom 3 BFG.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I have. Don't recall if I beat it or not, but I seem to remember having fun.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yes, I did. That episode was originally released when Doom hit XBLA so it's relatively new. I'm not sure if it had any original mappers and level designers attached to it, but the maps were fantastic. Highly detailed stuff that should give you a good idea of what you could expect from fan megawads thesedays. I think it's only a 8-12 maps. I recall one or two maps being a little tricky with the keys... but otherwise it's awesome. I guess it's now in the BFG editions and also the PSN Complete Collection.

Also I just beat Community Chest Pack 4. Admittedly cheated a bit on map 30 because it was just way too ridiculous with Complex, lmfao. Arch-viles out the ass, multiple Cyberdemons and Spider Mastermind's, an Icon of Sin... etc, forget it lmfao. Cyberdemon's in Complex are a way bigger threat since they have two rocket launchers now and they home in on you and are very fast (think, faster than Revenant's missiles). But there's three different BFG's and one of them can usually one shot a Cyberdemon if it hits them good. Overall, some fantastic maps in this one, but there were a few slaughterfests I didn't like. Difficulty wise it made Doom 2 The Way id Did seem like a joke haha, but both of these were a really cool way to check out Complex.

9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 the Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)

Overall that totals about 46 hours of Doom for me... I will take a break now. :lol:

Of all these megawads I just played, Valiant gets my highest recommendation.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Man, I need to head over to Doomworld and check out the Cacowards for the last few years. Been out of the loop with all that.