The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

Ultimate Doom is Doom 1 with all the expansions and Final Doom is Doom II with all the expansions, is this correct?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RCBH928 wrote:Ultimate Doom is Doom 1 with all the expansions and Final Doom is Doom II with all the expansions, is this correct?

If you're asking about purchasing on Steam, Ultimate Doom is Doom 1 with the fourth episode. Doom II is standalone. Final Doom is a standalone release of the Doom II executable that does not include the Doom II campaign but instead has the two fan campaigns, Plutonia and TNT Evolution.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Ultimate Doom is Doom 1 with all the expansions and Final Doom is Doom II with all the expansions, is this correct?

If you're asking about purchasing on Steam, Ultimate Doom is Doom 1 with the fourth episode. Doom II is standalone. Final Doom is a standalone release of the Doom II executable that does not include the Doom II campaign but instead has the two fan campaigns, Plutonia and TNT Evolution.

So Final Doom does not include the Doom II campaign? Thanks for clearing that, I thought it was like Ultimate Doom but for the sequel.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I have played through Doom I (and Ultimate Doom) and Doom II quite a few times, most recently on the Switch. I can like explain how much i dislike the two Final Doom WADS. Never finished this, I told myself with this play-through of Doom II I would, but nope got a few levels into both before just bailing. They are so far below the standard of what ID was putting out, they just feel....cheap and disjointed.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

emwearz wrote:I have played through Doom I (and Ultimate Doom) and Doom II quite a few times, most recently on the Switch. I can like explain how much i dislike the two Final Doom WADS. Never finished this, I told myself with this play-through of Doom II I would, but nope got a few levels into both before just bailing. They are so far below the standard of what ID was putting out, they just feel....cheap and disjointed.

How about the new episodes "Sigil" released by Romero?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Sigil is fantastic. Some great new ideas within the DOOM engine, stuff I that feels far more modern and just a stack of fun.

Even No Rest for the Living, an episode which was developed by Nerve Software for the XBLA port of Doom II, which you can get for free with all the latest version is decent fun, short and sweet.

Both WADS in Final Doom bring nothing new to the table. Boring levels with no atmosphere and they pump them full of hits can enemies. I play Doom and Doom II on UV all day long, the maps all scale and play perfectly from UV downwards, Final Doom the same care and thought was not put into the scaling.

Sigil feels like a continuation, an evolution of Doom, while Final Doom feels like people playing with a map editor, which is what it was before id picked it up and charged for it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SIGIL and No Rest for the Living are must plays!

emwearz wrote:Final Doom feels like people playing with a map editor, which is what it was before id picked it up and charged for it.

I've read that there was some controversy over TNT. There was hype while TNT was being developed, and then it was announced that it would be released as part of the paid for Final DOOM, so fans were pissed off. Plutonia though, I read that two level editors (brothers) were contracted to make that episode for Final DOOM.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I beat The Lost Levels episode of DOOM 64 last night. It was way too short! The levels were very well designed. After completing each level I would think to myself, "That level was a lot of fun to play!" I just wish there were more levels!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The Cyber Demon is one of the toughest enemies I had to face, mostly because of the classic control scheme. Face him to shoot, he shoots 80% of your life. Another millisecond and you are out. If you could do the circular sttraffing it would be very easy.

on a good note, I found the most important button in Doom...the the RUN button!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote: If you could do the circular sttraffing it would be very easy.

You can circle strafe the Cyber Demon! If you're at the end of The Shores of Hell (Episode 2) then just be sure to take out all of the Lost Souls first. You don't want them attacking you while you're trying to concentrate on the Cyber Demon, and you especially don't want one of them to fly at you as you fire a rocket and take rocket damage. Then you shouldn't have much trouble circle strafing the Cyber Demon. The pillars also help to block his rockets, just be sure not to blast a rocket into a pillar while circle strafing and damage yourself! For your first go, it might be easier to to lure him to a more open so you don't have to worry about where the pillars are.

You can also straddle his rocket shots, which are really fast, but if you do it at a distance it's not too hard. Circle strafing is definitely easier.

https://youtu.be/QxZw0-Nf1_A?t=244

RCBH928 wrote:on a good note, I found the most important button in Doom...the the RUN button!

Not using run makes the game a lot harder. Funny story... When I was younger I never knew there was a run button. I could never get past level 2 in DOOM 2 because it requires run lol.