Overwatch (the thread of the game)

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Overwatch (the thread of the game)

Post by noiseredux »

I'm not actually good with anybody. I only played very casually before. Only now am I taking time to try to really learn some characters. So I'm trying to limit who I play to just a couple at a time and then branching out.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I've been too slammed with new releases to be willing to spend my time on multiplayer stuff. Which is a shame, because the game is still solid.

you keep saying this. Can't you play a few rounds of Overwatch between stuff?

Clearly you don't understand how I tend to dedicate myself to stuff that I'm really into. I'm looking at my schedule and depending on when I finish HZD and Berseria I'm going to have a few days before ME drops; I might get in some Overwatch time then.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

stayed home today due to weather. Played a lot of Overwatch. Just got my first Play Of The Game as D.Va. It involved me self-destructing my mech to take out five dudes at once. Pretty awesome.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

well I totally love this game now. I'm still not especially good, but I'm learning. Slowly. I suspect this will be like Rocket League for me where I'll just always leave it installed and continually revisit.

For right now I mostly use D.Va but have been dabbling with others so that I can fill the niche needed in a given team as best I can. I enjoy using Soldier 76 and Sombra as well. Pharah is cool, but I'm not very good with her. I'm really trying to take my time to at least get an idea of how each character works before moving on to another.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:well I totally love this game now. I'm still not especially good, but I'm learning. Slowly. I suspect this will be like Rocket League for me where I'll just always leave it installed and continually revisit.

For right now I mostly use D.Va but have been dabbling with others so that I can fill the niche needed in a given team as best I can. I enjoy using Soldier 76 and Sombra as well. Pharah is cool, but I'm not very good with her. I'm really trying to take my time to at least get an idea of how each character works before moving on to another.

It's always worth trying to pick up a healer too. Although I like Tracer best, I made sure to learn a tank and a healer to user when everyone on my team insists on being a DPS.

I like both Ana and Zenyatta on healing - I'm better as Zen, but I enjoy playing Ana more. D.Va is still my tank of choice, but honestly I find shes better off being a secondary tank - it's hard to tank alone when you can't defend and attack at the same time, but when you can provide cover for another tank she's amazing.

I'm looking forward to Orisa being added because I'm hoping she'll be another Tank I like playing. I'm useless as Roadhog, Winston and Zarya, and I find Reinhardt super boring to play as.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus wrote:It's always worth trying to pick up a healer too. Although I like Tracer best, I made sure to learn a tank and a healer to user when everyone on my team insists on being a DPS. I like both Ana and Zenyatta on healing - I'm better as Zen, but I enjoy playing Ana more.

this is a good point. I actually used Mercy a lot back in the beta, but after launch I found that I'm pretty bad using her. I've honestly not even tried Ana or Zenyatta... but I guess I should try.

D.Va is still my tank of choice, but honestly I find shes better off being a secondary tank - it's hard to tank alone when you can't defend and attack at the same time, but when you can provide cover for another tank she's amazing.

yeah, agreed. She's really best when she can be part of a team push. Or at least if she's got a good healer on her. But that shield can be a total game-changer if thrown up at the right time and protecting a full team from demise. Think: Parrah's ult. And on the flip, D.Va's ult can also turn the tides swiftly if used thoughtfully.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:
alienjesus wrote:It's always worth trying to pick up a healer too. Although I like Tracer best, I made sure to learn a tank and a healer to user when everyone on my team insists on being a DPS. I like both Ana and Zenyatta on healing - I'm better as Zen, but I enjoy playing Ana more.

this is a good point. I actually used Mercy a lot back in the beta, but after launch I found that I'm pretty bad using her. I've honestly not even tried Ana or Zenyatta... but I guess I should try.

Ana's grenade is the reason to use her imo. It does decent damage, has a good splash radius, heals allies and injures opponents, plus it doubles further healing on those allies for a while, and prevents healing on the opponents. It's awesome. Because of how useful her grenade and sleep dart are, she's better off getting stuck in with the team rather than sniping teammates to heal from range like a lot of new players try to do as her.

Zenyatta is basically 'the healer who is also a DPS'. He can heal one person over time, which provides some decent healing, but his main benefit are the discord orbs which make everyone super squishy. Zenyatta shreds tanks. He also has good range, power and ammo on his attacks too. He's just slow and has no escape options as a downside.

D.Va is still my tank of choice, but honestly I find shes better off being a secondary tank - it's hard to tank alone when you can't defend and attack at the same time, but when you can provide cover for another tank she's amazing.

yeah, agreed. She's really best when she can be part of a team push. Or at least if she's got a good healer on her. But that shield can be a total game-changer if thrown up at the right time and protecting a full team from demise. Think: Parrah's ult. And on the flip, D.Va's ult can also turn the tides swiftly if used thoughtfully.

I love defence matrix and D.Va's ult. Both of them can turn a game around if used correctly. But I find that DVas massive headshot hitbox can be an issue if shes alone.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ok, you just made me want to start playing Ana. Awesome.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:ok, you just made me want to start playing Ana. Awesome.

I'm not amazing at Overwatch, but my one and only play of the game I got I was playing as Ana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzpct4B7jmI

This is on PS4 too. I reckon she's probably even better on PC because she's so reliant on accurate aiming.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Zenyatta is a DPSer who can heal. His orbs do good damage and can headshot and Discord orb is a major damage boost. His healing is pretty low; the only healing rate lower is non-amped Lucio and Lucio heals an area.

Ana is fantastic in terms of the numbers game, but she's also the hardest to play well as you need to learn the arc of the grenade and be a good shot to be able to keep people up. She's amazing for tanks; a D.Va with a pocket Ana is neigh immortal.

The thing that's got me most excited about Origa is it might be a second tank that can be the true center of a spearpoint. Right now that's really only Reinhart if no Ults are up. D.Va's matrix is more about picking off individual threats at strategic intervals. Hog is just about getting a pick, and Zarya is a front line fighter who wants to take damage on her bubble and can also bubble others to save them. She does some scary damage when she's got a charge. And Winston is much more about backline harassment. So having a second "Here's a shield you guys can get behind while we push in" hero is pretty major.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.