Overwatch (the thread of the game)

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Re: Overwatch (the thread of the game)

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:I was afraid that would be your reaction. The couple rounds we played last night were a VERY poor representation of Overwatch. We got stuck on teams that seemed to have no idea how to push, or even be aware of the objectives. Even when there were bottlenecks they just kept flocking to the same choke point. It was bad. Please don't let that 30-60 mins paint a picture of what the game is actually like.

Actually, shitty players in a Blizzard game sounds exactly like what one should expect...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ack wrote:Actually, shitty players in a Blizzard online game sounds exactly like what one should expect...

ftfy
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

In B4 Dave posts he "fell asleep" playing Overwatch
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so I had picked up a copy of the GOTY version on Xbox One thanks to a very healthy sale recently. I've been playing again over the weekend and reminding myself why I love this game so much. For those unaware, there's a big Halloween event that's started today.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Other than playing my placement matches, I have fallen off Overwatch.

The competitive play mechanic needs a rework, it is a roll of dice if you are going to get paired with people who just throw the game from the start because someone picked their character, or someone who doesn't fill the "meta" and the team turning on them and arguing the whole time.

The even should be a bit of fun though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

was too busy last night, but hoping to check out the Halloween event tonight.

Does anyone here play on Xbox One?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so in the past I got lazy and just let myself gravitate towards always playing the same couple characters - namely D.Va and Soldier 76. But honestly, I'd like to feel good about playing some other roles. So I'm looking for a little coaching from those who play other classes more often.

Defense:

I've used Widowmaker a bit in the past. I really like sniping from afar, but of course you need to be able to (safely) get her away from harm. It also seems like the meta is getting away from Widowmaker lately, though I can't really say why. Bastion seems like a beast, but I've never really used him. Mei is interesting to me because of her ice/heal ability thing (though this can often make her a target of gang-ups too).

Support:

I'd really like to be more proficient as Mercy. I think I get confused switching between her damage and healing guns. I like her ability to fly quickly to allies, though. Ana seems awesome... if you're good at using her. I feel like I get my ass handed to me when I try.

...any tips on this roles?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:so in the past I got lazy and just let myself gravitate towards always playing the same couple characters - namely D.Va and Soldier 76. But honestly, I'd like to feel good about playing some other roles. So I'm looking for a little coaching from those who play other classes more often.

Defense:

I've used Widowmaker a bit in the past. I really like sniping from afar, but of course you need to be able to (safely) get her away from harm. It also seems like the meta is getting away from Widowmaker lately, though I can't really say why. Bastion seems like a beast, but I've never really used him. Mei is interesting to me because of her ice/heal ability thing (though this can often make her a target of gang-ups too).

Support:

I'd really like to be more proficient as Mercy. I think I get confused switching between her damage and healing guns. I like her ability to fly quickly to allies, though. Ana seems awesome... if you're good at using her. I feel like I get my ass handed to me when I try.

...any tips on this roles?

I'd say Widowmaker is better on attack. On defence you have to be very good at consistently getting kills, whereas on attack a quick kill or two can be enough for your team to snowball through. You have to do less work to achieve something worthwhile. On defence, consistency is key.

Ana is awesome, but right now Mercy totally outclasses her. She's more consistent at healing, and resurrect is so powerful that it decides games almost single handedly. Ana is my favourite healer though - sleep dart and the bio-grenade are amazing abilities with lots of utility.

On defence, being good at a tank who can set up barriers would be very useful to just about any team. A good Orisa or Reinhardt can prevent picks that could cost you the game otherwise.

On attack, everyone goes DPS anyway, so being a good support like Lucio or Zenyatta who can support them is great, as is being a mobile tank like Winston and getting their supports out of the picture.

I say this, but I play Symmetra, Ana and Tracer the most currently, so maybe I'm not the best person to listen to :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

for tank, D.Va is my main. Actually, just in general she's my main.

I'm asking about the roles based on how they're actually classified in game: https://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Roles
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I see. In that case, the defence heroes are generally quite niche and less consistent than the offence heroes, but they can be good in the right hands. Junkrat is probabl the best of them right now, those mines are lethal. However, I don't really play any of the defence heroes much.

I play a lot of support though. As mentioned, Symmetra and Ana are two of my favourites. A symmetra teleporter in the right spot is the closest thing in the game to Mercy's old Res ultimate in how it can bring your whole team back into a fight at once.

People don't know how to deal with those turrets if you scatter them all over the place around a point. Everyone expects to find all 6 turrets on one wall, but I tend to have them on all 5 different walls at different heights - either high up or at ground level, so they're not in eye height.

You can often hide them inside scenery too - some bushes and boxes don't have collision detection so you can hide turrets inside them and make them invisible until they shoot :lol:

I think i've said it before, but playing Symmetra feels like you're playing a tower defence game whilst the other 11 people play an FPS :lol: