Visual Novels

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Visual Novels

Post by Jagosaurus »

Interesting. So the Telltale games are more adventure visual novels?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Jagosaurus wrote:Interesting. So the Telltale games are more adventure visual novels?

The Telltale games since the first "season" of The Walking Dead are definitely more visual novel than adventure games. The adventure game aspects are mostly simple QTEs or walking around a scene talking to characters and picking up all the items you need in that area. They're more about giving the player an illusion of choice that still feels like a meaningful decision, and they do a pretty good job at it. There's no way (at least in the 3 that I've played) to ever get stuck in them though like you can in Monkey Island or something. The road to take is very obvious and you often need to work to ignore it (or the game may've glitched out, which is also possible :lol: ). If you want a VN with more of an adventure game's aesthetic and mechanical appearance, they can be quite good fun ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I've been playing AI: The Somnium Files which is from the team that did the Nonary Games series. Seems pretty good so far, it does seem like those Nonary games where you kind of jump around in time. We'll see!

Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I picked up that one for the wife for Christmas. She was a big fan of the Nonary Games games. I personally still need to get to Zero Time Dilemma first.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I already shared this with Elkin, but I'll post it here too. A list of the top-rated visual novels, as per ratings on the Visual Novel Database:

https://vndb.org/v/all?s=rating;o=d

The list is kind of a mess. It uses Japanese titles for all games, even those localized, so you'll have to click to get more info. For instance, Gyakuten Saiban 3 is actually Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations. Other than that, each game profile contains tons of great info.

Anyway, I'm going to try to work my way through the most critically-acclaimed stuff. Some I own, some I'll have to get.

I find the ratings on the site to be pretty much in line with my own tastes.... Except the users show no respect for the retro classics. Portopia is only rated a 5.55 and Suishou no Dragon a 5.03??? What's the problem, not enough HD anime taddies? Fuckin weebs.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I find the ratings on the site to be pretty much in line with my own tastes.... Except the users show no respect for the retro classics. Portopia is only rated a 5.55 and Suishou no Dragon a 5.03??? What's the problem, not enough HD anime taddies? Fuckin weebs.

Pfft, Silent Hill: Play Novel is a 6.02. What is this? That's a 10 and you know it!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

invalid list, because not Kurosu Tantei Monogatari, nor any of the Sakura Taisen or Kino no Tabi games are on the first page. I also find it interesting that the Phoenix Wright game I liked the least is the one highest on that list.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Well..... it's a Western website. Games with no English translation aren't going to be scored as well, generally speaking.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Pish posh, Bone. Don't respond to my irrational complaints with logic. If they're weeb enough to default to the Japanese titles, they should be weeb enough to rate my favorite games higher!

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

The NDS port of the first Phoenix Wright game is the best VN of all time. List is invalid.