Visual Novels

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Visual Novels

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

^ Okay, so like I said, cute!

I'm a couple of hours into Steins;Gate. Folks, this is really good. I've read several reviews that claim it "starts off slow" but I don't find this to be the case at all. I mean, there's no "action" (yet) but the character and world-building is really intriguing, and the scenes are moving along at a decent clip. I dunno if I'll end up head over heels in love with this one, like I was with MLA, but I'm impressed so far. I anticipate some binge sessions.

Oh, and I was absolutely laughing my ass off when the protagonist visited an internet forum on his phone. The localization is simply brilliant; they totally nailed all the goofy netspeak. There are 4chan-style "gtfo" trolls and even a Reddit-esque soiboi who would "gladly submit to our time-travelling overlords." Can't remember the last time I lol'ed this hard playing a VN.
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Best advice I can give you is to play Steins; Gate as slow as possible. Take breaks. Don’t binge.

This makes the game so much more enjoyable. Your mind will think about it the whole time you aren’t playing.

You’ll start to look up the play on all the real world science they incorporate into the game. I deep dived into everything I could in my almost year long play through of the first game. Time travel, quantum physics, everything. Lots of conspiracy websites. It was a trip!

I know going slow isn’t your play style but if you really want to bond with these characters, force yourself to slow down and think about each decision being made and possible outcomes.

The story is a slow burn. But by hour five or six, it is on point.

You’re gonna love it. Steins; Gate is high production VN. Writing, sciences, characters, pop jpn otaku culture, THE MUSIC!

I can’t praise this one enough. Slow down and sip this one like a fine Blanton’s bourbon.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I got on a good chapter-a-day groove.

But!
I suddenly and unexpectedly reached an ending at the conclusion of chapter 6. A premature "bad" ending it looks like (given the number of PlayStation Trophies I can surmise that there are 10 chapters).

I knew my crew was in quite a pickle, but figured their time-traveling capabilities would get them out of it. Not this time!

Back to square one; time to make some better choices.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm in the penultimate chapter of Steins;Gate.

I didn't expect the game to have little "romances" peppered in. The game's writing is weakest here, but this is still an incredibly strong VN overall.

The "phone system" is a really neat mechanic, though I don't see how anyone can get that "true ending" without a walkthrough. I think I'll be shooting for all endings, but not all trophies. Some of the trophy requirements are just arbitrary and silly.

And damn, this music in this one is so good. VN music is underrated, generally speaking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEhsrsAjnE
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Okay, Steins;Gate is done!
I got the true ending...... Didn't realize the true ending would be an entirely separate (eleventh) chapter! I was expecting 10-ish extra minutes of story.

Ended up getting every ending... I'm at something like 99.07% CGs though... Think I missed a single image somewhere along the way.

Anyway, to reiterate, this game is really fantastic. The protagonist is one of the best in a VN. He's relatable and sympathetic. And, blessedly, the game lacks eroge and dating sim elements (it originated on the Xbox 360, oddly enough). The story's quite compelling; I love the inclusion of all the "real" elements, like the IBM and Sharp computers, CERN (or SERN) as the antagonist, and so on.

I'm willing to call this the second-best VN ever, under Muv-Luv Alternative. I'm struck by how similar these games are. Both are about a calamity caused by time travel.
Different types though, it's more linear travel in Steins;Gate, while MLA is about coexisting parallel worlds.

And both star "messiah" protagonists who are able to "comprehend" time travel in ways that no one else can. MLA is much larger and more grandiose, though. And it gets better as it rolls along, building to a huge climax. Steins;Gate I actually enjoyed best during the first half, when things are kept vague and mysterious.

Tried to find the anime at a local shop today, but was unsuccessful.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The story's quite compelling; I love the inclusion of all the "real" elements, like the IBM and Sharp computers, CERN (or SERN) as the antagonist, and so on.

Those details were copied from the larger real life inspiration.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah I was aware of "the real" John Titor before playing the game; didn't know about the IBM 1500 element however.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Okay, I got True Love '95 months ago. And now it finally works. Thanks Steam updates!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ah hell yeah look what just got fan-translated:
marurun

Post by marurun »

They even subtitled the spoken parts.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.