Visual Novels

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Visual Novels

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ever play one of those "hybrid" games? Usually these are RPGs with really lengthy VN-style "cutscenes" sprinkled in. Aselia the Eternal is the one that gets talked about most. It's a great strategy RPG with some really memorable characters. It's on Steam, but the physical release by JAST USA is still pretty easy to find. The sequel, Seinarukana, will be appearing on Steam soon as well (I don't think there's a physical version in English).

Another one I've played is Märchen Veil: an old FDS game with alternating VN sequences and top-down action-adventure gameplay. It's about centaurs or some shit. I haven't progressed very far because it's terrible and I can't figure out how to save.

A dragon girl looks up at the endless sky showed up on Steam about a month ago. This seems to be a bit of a JRPG/VN mix? Also on PSP, in Japan. I have purchased it but haven't played yet. I am intrigued.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Don't think I've played too many hybrids, but I would definitely consider Ar Toneilco to be one. You do get some turn-based battles and an alchemy system to play around with, but I think the visual novel sections take up most of the game. That was fine by me since I really enjoyed the characters and how they developed during the story. Also it has some great music, but I'm a little biased there since some of the tracks have vocals from my favourite artist (Shikata Akiko).

Also, I keep on forgetting to mention, but there's a pretty big VN on kickstarter right now that may be of interest to some of you (or maybe you guys already know of it or aren't interested but whatever :P). The VN is called Sharin no Kuni: The Girl Among the Sunflowers. It will be funded at $80,000 (currently it's at around $77,000), and if it gets to $120,000 then it will also get a Vita port (both physical and digital). I haven't played it myself, partially since the current fan-translation is apparently awful, but I thought it sounded interesting so that's why I backed it haha. Anyway, links to stuff below :)

Story summary:
Early summer.

A society which imposes special "Duties" upon everyone who breaks the law.

The individuals who oversee these criminals' rehabilitation are the "Special Elite"ーa rank the protagonist, Kenichi Morita, hopes to attain. To do that, he must pass his final exam, for which he arrives at a certain country town.

At the school Kenichi attends, he encounters girls bound by various “Duties.” Those obligated "to observe a 12-hour day" are forbidden from being awake for more than 12 hours per day, and those obligated "to remain in infancy" cannot grow up. It is meeting Natsumi Hinata, the girl who "cannot fall in love," that throws him out of gear.

Soon, Kenichi makes a series of odd discoveries… his own grave, erected secretly on a clifftop; his patrimony, hidden deep inside a cavern. Kenichi finds that he must search for his own atonement in this dystopian society. What is the truth behind the Land of the Spinning Wheel? Discover for yourself through Kenichi's eyes!

A touching story with a deeply profound message, depicted with a serene touch and moments of lighthearted comedy, this visual novel is an experience not to be missed, for both old fans and new!

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tokyootakumode/re-sharin-no-kuni-project?ref=user_menu
VNDB page: https://vndb.org/v57
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Looks decent. I'll check it out if it drops on Steam and the price is right.

I finished eden* a couple of hours ago and was quite impressed.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:If anyone's into eroge VNs, there's a site with a ton of them.

And if that one is down, or doesn't have one you're looking for:

http://erogedownload.com/downloads/the- ... roduction/

Fuwanovel recently archived all their old torrents:

https://catbox.moe/official.php

Both sites are good for finding VNs that are no longer being sold, or were only fan translated.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Any thoughts on the Grisaia series? There are several on Steam. All have great reviews but they ain't cheap!

I need to purchase some more VNs; I'm at a standstill right now. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- is probably next on my agenda.

(I'll pretend that I'm not Steam-stalking Lauren and playing exactly what she plays)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:If anyone's into eroge VNs, there's a site with a ton of them.

And if that one is down, or doesn't have one you're looking for:

http://erogedownload.com/downloads/the- ... roduction/

Fuwanovel recently archived all their old torrents:

https://catbox.moe/official.php

Both sites are good for finding VNs that are no longer being sold, or were only fan translated.

Great, thanks! There were two that had broken links that I wanted. You're a pal (and an enabler).

BoneSnapDeez wrote:(I'll pretend that I'm not Steam-stalking Lauren and playing exactly what she plays)

It's a good thing to do. The girl's got good taste.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Word.

Oh, and I downloaded Katawa Shoujo today. I had been avoiding it, primarily due to its connection to the dumpster fire that is 4chan. But a positive review on HG101 has prompted me to give it an honest attempt, at the very least. It is free after all.

I've mentioned these on the boards in the past, but has anyone in this thread ever played the AnimePlay games? The are visual novels on DVD. No, not DVD-ROMs. DVDs. You can play them on a DVD player and any other device that plays DVDs (PS2, PC, whatever). I have Tea Society of a Witch, which is alright. Hourglass of Summer seems to be the most popular one. They're getting old (late sixth gen era?) but you can still find some of them in-stock on Amazon.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've never even heard of that. Are those two any good?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

They're all pretty charming, but not out-of-this-world good.

What's odd (and potentially annoying for some) is that they use password saves, as you can't save a game to a DVD player.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Oh, and I downloaded Katawa Shoujo today. I had been avoiding it, primarily due to its connection to the dumpster fire that is 4chan. But a positive review on HG101 has prompted me to give it an honest attempt, at the very least. It is free after all.

I've played through several of the paths in it, and it actually is good.

While I do own Tea Society of a Witch and Exodus Guilty vol 1 and 2 from AnimePlay...I haven't played them >_>;