RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Resident Evil series appreciation thread

by Xeogred Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:16 pm

So who's playing this new masterpiece? Who checked out the demo previously? Surprised we weren't talking about it anywhere here that I saw.

I love having two incredible versions of a game... Capcom has done it again setting the bar high for an amazing remake.

While I loved a lot of RE7's ideas, I didn't care for the new direction character/story wise much at all. Who here ever thinks about Ethan? Granted, he was maybe supposed to be an avatar of the player in that hellish swamp with the new perspective. But man I'm so glad to be back to third person RE. And while I liked Revelations 2 a fair bit and I don't even hate RE6... this is finally the RE we've been waiting for for nearly a decade or whatever now. It is everything I could have dreamed of and more, only Zelda tends to make me feel like a kid when I get ultra excited for a big new release, but RE2R had me just as giddy too. I even bought the deluxe edition at Gamestop! That's extremely rare when I can usually just wait on Amazon orders nowadays haha...

So basically this is like the ultimate merger of all the best parts of RE old and new. The classic exploration/light Metroidvania elements are back with the awesome police station and an amazing map system (I don't recall RE7's being this good either). And while the camera is now the RE4+ over the shoulder style, the combat still falls back to the classics I'd say. Because zombies aren't running at you with big melee weapons or throwing axes your way, this is less combat heavy than RE4 and that style in ways. Instead, it's back to how the classics were and the real issue is being GRABBED by zombies and then taking a bite. Whelp, these zombies are damn tough to take down and never ever underestimate how far they can lunge to grab you... or if something grabs you immediately while entering a door through an area you once tracked through and have to return to. And just like the classic style, you could easily argue that the claustrophobic environments are the "enemy" just as much as the zombies/monsters themselves. There's also now broken windows that you can board up with, well wood boards when you find them. So you really do have to plan things out accordingly when you're back tracking through some hallways and areas, the game seems to throw just enough ammo at you to barely keep you sane. But there's no way you're going to happily walk in anywhere and mow everything down. You have to be stealthy and fast at times instead.

Finally, the atmosphere is a bit more in the vein of RE7's modern styling, with excellent lightning and blacks/shadows. Man I freaking love this new RE Engine.

I still think that fun cheese is in there in ways too with some of the characters and writing, I think Capcom knows it as well. This is far more serious than the original of course, which honestly isn't even that scary at all and got more action heavy. But yeah, I think Capcom has finally realized "fun" should be the main objective here. I think it's great that this could easily be a first entry for new fans but it also has so many delicate nods to the classic for old fans as well.

Right out of the gate I'm running Leon A (yes the scenarios are back!) and I'm playing on Hardcore mode, which has Ink Ribbons, no auto save points, and tougher enemies. Let me tell you... it's BRUTAL so far. I replayed RE2 Classic again this week and can always cruise through it and the originals on Normal difficulties, maybe that's some nostalgia/experience with them talking, but this remake is pretty challenging so far. It seems to take 1-2 zombie bites to put you in the red danger status. And it takes like 10+ bullets just to put a zombie down temporarily. I still can't tell how to kill them permanently other than getting a rare critical (explosive) headshot at times.

It's gorgeous on a PS4 Pro but I'm a little bummed I don't have an HDR/4K TV. I played the demo on this and my PC, but it ran terribly on my PC. Might be because I'm still on Windows 7 and an older CPU, so I also don't have DX12 which might hurt a lot. I hear it's been very demanding for a lot of people too. But you can customize the options a lot. I'm super happy with the console version though, which is where I play all my RE's anyways.

I'm just a little past the demo portion so far, used up the Spade Key and have a few new areas I can explore now.

Pure bliss so far. Playing this game feels like my first time playing some of the classics, RE4, Silent Hill 2, Dead Space, etc all over again... it's really good to play another incredible modern survival horror game.

I know it's been mentioned over the months here and there, but the rumors of them remaking RE3 are still floating around haha. Considering that they rebuilt a lot of Raccoon City in this, have this beautiful RE Engine, and the reception has been amazing, I definitely think it could happen. Not to mention Capcom can cook up multiple RE games at once when they want at times, so I'm sure if they all double down on another big remake they could easily do it. Last I heard they want to take RE8 into new directions though... so on the flip side, I could maybe see them experimenting with RE8, and then giving us RE3 Remake as well to cover the classic formula. Anyways I don't want to be too greedy haha... still can't believe this remake for 2 exists and I will be playing much more tonight!
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am

^what Xeogred said.

I'm only about 4 hours in myself. I can't play this one while the kids are awake. I'm playing it on my PS4 Pro in 4K HDR and it is gorgeous.

I don't have as much time in the RE series as most folks in this thread. I have only beat the first game and I still have my long box copy from when I was a kid. I rented RE2 back in the day and despite owning a PS1 copy of RE2 now, I have yet to get through it. With my schedule as an adult and a dad, the ink ribbon save system just causes me to lose too much progress when I inevitably have to stop playing a the drop of a hat.

In any case, RE2 Remake is fantastic. I can't wait to dig into it further while the kids are at school next week.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:18 pm

Knocked out Leon A Hardcore today, took like 8 hours and I wish it had a death counter haha! It was BRUTAL. I'm sure I can do better on Hardcore once I know the game better, but that was pretty wild for my first run. Now I'm going to attempt Claire B Hardcore!

But yeah nothing new to say, I could not even dream up a better quality remake than this if I tried. Mindblowing work here from Capcom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:21 pm

That game looks so rad. It’s pushing me toward a new console...
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:22 am

I just finished Leon A on standard difficulty. Took me just over 8 hours. Apparently I missed the magnum somewhere along the way. Oh well, I managed. The last two bosses took me about 3 or 4 tries each.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Done with Claire B now. I stockpiled waaaaaay too much ammo for the final bosses. Took down the final boss with the submachine gun only and I had 3 other weapons on me. I suppose I was more efficient this time around since I had a better idea of what to expect.

Now to see what this new game mode is about that got unlocked.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:28 pm

4th Survivor? That was brutal!

Not sure I can do Tofu... haha. It's that same thing basically except you only have knives...
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Xeogred wrote:4th Survivor? That was brutal!

Not sure I can do Tofu... haha. It's that same thing basically except you only have knives...

Yeah it is tough alright. I made it back to the police station and immediately got owned by you know who. Think I am going to call it a night and try again tomorrow.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:44 pm

I just got a copy of Darkside Chronicles ahead of Feb's TR. My wife loves lightgun games so we'll probably co-op it.
Ack

by Ack Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:19 pm

So, do you guys know the scariest part of the Resident Evil 2 remake?

Mr. X
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Other Genres