noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Resident Evil series appreciation thread

Post by noiseredux »

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

So it looks like every RE game on Green Man Gaming is on sale to some extent right now (along with many other Halloweeny games). I'm tempted to grab the remake of 1 at least...
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:So it looks like every RE game on Green Man Gaming is on sale to some extent right now (along with many other Halloweeny games). I'm tempted to grab the remake of 1 at least...

A lot of them are also on sale on PSN right now. I am also tempted by the REmake, even though I already own it for the GC and Wii...
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

The new remake is really pretty, y'all.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

TSTR wrote:The new remake is really pretty, y'all.

yeah it's an HD version of the remake, right? It looks so good. I'm tempted to continue breaking my only-buy-a-game-to-play-it rule this month and stock up on the RE's I'm missing while they're cheap...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Resident Evil Dead Aim (2003)

I beat this one a few months back and would like to point out that it's a bit of a hybrid. You actually walk around in 3rd person, but when it comes to the combat you go into first person. As usual with a lot of first person PS2 era games, you cannot invert the Y axis so that was a bit of a pain since I play inverted and one of the later boss battles was frustrating. Granted I played it with a controller and not a light gun. It's got a boat location kind of like Revelations, but then had some cool sewers that reminded me of Silent Hill. Only took me like 2 hours to beat, if even, but it wasn't bad for the bargain price and as always still managed to have a cool save theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_pi376qR4I

Overall Resident Evil is one of my all time favorite favorite gaming series that's kind of second tier along with Metal Gear Solid, I can never decide which I like the most between them, it's always a mood thing. But I replay them a lot and they age pretty well. I like the tank controls in the old games, along with the now weirdly dated tank controls of RE4-RE5.

RE5 is an amazingly fun game with tons of replay value that has copious amounts of unwarranted flak. This is when the story jumped ship for me and started losing that fun b-grade cheese and got a bit more Michael Bay, but oh well. It's really fun and still looks amazing to this day. Weird to think that Capcom were once on the cutting edge of game engines, when nowadays releases like Revelations 2 immediately look 10 years dated upon release.

Also, RE5 Lost in Nightmares was -insanely- good.

REmake might be my favorite, so I can't wait to play the HD version. I imported a physical copy since the Japanese release is full English and has a reversible English cover. Looks great. Simply put this is the best remake ever (next to Zero Mission).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pZV3UPmXI4

I love RE2's atmosphere and dungeon-esque sewer and laboratory settings more, but the game is admittedly very short and not nearly as complex as RE1. I kind of feel like REmake carries a bit more weight when I replay them.

RE4 was probably one of the last games I had before I suddenly grew up and had to work/life and stopped replaying games all the time. I still do, but back in the day I would beat games repeatedly back to back dozens of times when I had more free time, and the Capcom games were some of the best with replay value with all the unlockables, extra settings, difficulties, etc. I currently on the HD version, the GC release, and the PS2 release, and plan to get the Wii version since I hear it's cool too. I will have no regrets on quadruple dipping on this timeless gem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SwvRntnyA

Revelations is my least favorite by miles. RE6 was really not that bad, but nothing I see myself replaying unlike the previous games. I'm also not too hot on Zero, because half the game is an inventory management simulator, the further you progress into the mansion/levels, the more backtracking you have to do to continually transfer your items over if you want them all closer to your new locations. It's awful, I can't imagine how much cooler it would have been with the chests. RE3 is admittedly a bit bland when I go back to it now too, but it has gorgeous pre-rendered backdrops, great music, and the Nemesis is cool. Probably tied with Code Veronica. It's a shame CV didn't use pre-rendered backdrops, if any (?), it looks really ugly when compared to REmake and Zero, despite being the same era.

RE2 is the iconic one from my childhood that invokes more nostalgia than all the N64 stuff I owned. I had one good friend in grade school who had the PSX with RE2, FF7, and Metal Gear Solid, etc. I can never forget the part when the G-virus monster thing slowly creeps up to the camera and breaks it... that scene stuck with me forever. It didn't really scare me though, as I was also playing Doom when I was 5 years old. I just thought it was really cool and the memories of the things my friend showed me and let me play stuck with me for life. It probably wasn't until 10 years later in high school until I got my own copy. I'm excited Capcom is finally remaking it, but I wonder if it has whatever dream team that worked on REmake involved or not. REmake was more than just a face lift, so it's a tall order to live up to for remake-quality in comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMz6bhXyNZc

Definitely some thick history with this series.

Cool fanmade RE5 "save theme" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6oFSLnxdjY
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Xeogred wrote:Resident Evil Dead Aim (2003)

I beat this one a few months back and would like to point out that it's a bit of a hybrid. You actually walk around in 3rd person, but when it comes to the combat you go into first person.

I had no idea. That sounds cool.

RE5 is an amazingly fun game with tons of replay value that has copious amounts of unwarranted flak.

I agree, and as more time goes on that seems to have become the consensus. Fun game that was unfairly maligned at release.

when nowadays releases like Revelations 2 immediately look 10 years dated upon release.

I've gotta say, that lo-fi charm is part of what I'm liking about RE2. I think it feels like a budget title, and off the bat that makes me lower my expectations of it being some AAA title and instead make it feel more like an indie game that got the RE license. I don't know if that makes sense, but I think I'd like the game a lot less if it were really slick looking but played like it did.

Also, RE5 Lost in Nightmares was -insanely- good.

This is... an expansion? I just figured it was some extra DLC, nothing substantial. What's the scoop?

REmake might be my favorite,

Ugh, yeah. I really want to play the new HD port. I should have grabbed it on sale, but I've just gotten so many games lately and haven't the time to play them all.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

noiseredux wrote:I've gotta say, that lo-fi charm is part of what I'm liking about RE2. I think it feels like a budget title, and off the bat that makes me lower my expectations of it being some AAA title and instead make it feel more like an indie game that got the RE license. I don't know if that makes sense, but I think I'd like the game a lot less if it were really slick looking but played like it did.

I can see what you mean, that sounds funny. My issues with Revelations more than likely stem from it being a handheld title originally (I thought the combat sucked coming out of RE4-RE5, etc). My roommate owns Revelations 2 so I plan to check it out sometime and give it a shot.

This is... an expansion? I just figured it was some extra DLC, nothing substantial. What's the scoop?

RE5 Lost in Nightmares is DLC that fills in some of the gap to RE5. The part in the story where you see flashbacks with Wesker, Jill, and Chris at a mansion, this is what that's about. It's classic RE through and through, and looks absolutely amazing. It does make you wish RE5 stuck to the scarier roots, but yeah. It's a mansion level with puzzles, crazy cool new enemies, and this crazy dungeon basement area. I can't recommend it enough for fans of the series.

I think all the other DLC was just misc stuff and multiplayer/minigame extra stuff. Lost in Nightmares isn't too long, but definitely worth checking out.

Apparently the RE5 skins for Chris and Jill are useable in REmake HD. I'll admit to kind of taking a liking to Football Chris so that's cool and gives the games some consistency haha.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm glad that you understood I meant "Revelations 2" not "Resident Evil 2" haha.

Lost In Nightmares sounds awesome. I didn't get it as part of the Humble Bundle though. I didn't think it was worth bumping up to top tier for that at the time. Wish I had known!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »