Resident Evil series appreciation thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Resident Evil series appreciation thread

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Xeogred wrote:I can see that. Playing it on the console first for myself, I had the opposite reaction... not impressive at all. Even the hit detection was horrible compared to RE4. lol

I have it on Wii U, but I've only played it on 3DS. I can see how a port from a handheld to console might be a bit less than ideal, though.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

noiseredux wrote:
Michi wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Oh! And digital games mean I can keep several installed at once instead of swapping out carts.

Well, ideally, yes. But depending on the size of the game you have to download and the size of the memory card you buy, one might be SOL either way.

alright fair enough. I really don't know the install size of digital Switch games.

So, according to a Katoku article, the switch carts have about 16GB of capacity (though I think I've read that there are bigger ones that cost more.) As for Revelations:

...Revelations 1 is 13GB and Revelations 2 is 26GB if you get the digital version, and if you buy the cartridge, you only get the first game, with the second having to be downloaded.

That is why the second game is going to be download only.

So basically, if you plan on downloading a lot of ported Switch games, you're going to want to get yourself a big-ass memory card or two.

Thank god they aren't proprietary.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

woah, The Evil Within 2 now has a first person mode:

https://youtu.be/I5uKa_1VajA

I haven't played it yet (because I haven't played the first one yet), but this makes me want to even more.

*(yes, I know The Evil Within is not Resident Evil, but I don't know... they feel like sister-series and I always end up in this thread if I have something to post about it).
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

So I rarely share my ideas with the public in fear of them being taken so I have a folder I write them n and date it and sometimes reflect them off a buddy. After RE6 came out I wrote down the idea of an FP RE game where you don't know where you are or how you got there. In fact what I'm about to say happened mainly but not as an RE game but a game called Alien Isolation. Now the idea I had was a woman wakes up on an op table. Not knowing why but everyone is either gone or dead. There is one big bad among many you have to hide from and some puzzle solving. Nothing new yet I know. The twist was your character is getting slower and less responsive to the game as a mechanic. It's very gradual but she starts breathing heavier and her movement is not as fast and other small changes. She gets sick and small changes start happening to her physically. The end result was as the game ends she has fully transformed into some RE monster (no not a zombie) and you get shot dead at the very end by Chris Redfield. RE games LOVE to end with a lab area from Umbrella and I wanted a whole game in one.

Now since RE7 happened last year the ending now no longer would have any impact. Don't get me wrong RE7 did a fine job to return the series to form. I'm just sharing my idea back when RE6 came out blowing giraffes and the series had gone full Micheal Bay. My idea is maybe worse than what we got but now I kinda want to see it as a side story.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Well I just finished up a Knife only run with Chris in REmake tonight, getting the last trophy. My new platinum. I will consider this entry MASTERED.

I love how beating the game on Invisible Enemy mode rewards you with a personal message from Shinji Mikami at the end, so awesome. Invisible Mode was pretty easy though, since you can do it on Very Easy... haha. Did that with Jill. Ran the Knife Only on Very Easy as well with Chris since he can take more hits than Jill. Real Survival Mode was the true test though, auto aim is disabled (the original didn't have this anyways), it sets enemies health/damage to the Hard level equivalent, chests are NOT linked which was crazy and awesome, and there's barely any ammo/herbs/ink ribbons anywhere. Every single ink ribbon spend to save really mattered, so it was tense as heck. It's really the Mansion 1 part that's the toughest though, since you're so low on items and zombies are everywhere. The Residence is fairly easy, Caves aren't bad, and Mansion 2/3 with the Hunters isn't that big of a deal since they're easy to get around. Labs are a cake walk and only take me like 20 minutes when not saving Jill/Chris or doing the second Tyrant fight (save Rebecca/Barry).

I love how this game is like a Metroidvania in a lot of ways. I could probably draw out the entire game now, got speedrun strats down (didn't even plan on it but I did the entire Knife Only run with Chris tonight, took about 3:30hrs or so) and yeah... one of my favorite games of all time, but now I've effectively kind of destroyed it and will probably need to take a 10 year break from it so it's fresh again someday, haha.

Kind of a bummer RE4 HD doesn't have a platinum, but maybe that's best for my sanity. Getting the platinum for RE5 was fun, but I think these are the only two I'll get for the RE's.

So I lost track somewhere, but I think I beat REmake 4-5 times in a week. Two Jill speedruns, Chris Real Survival, Chris Knife Only, then had to replay some stuff for some misc trophies.

Realistically I had about half the trophies already from beating it twice before on the PS3 (imported a Japanese version for a physical copy, it's all English!), so I did have a LOT of the misc work and whatnot already done. I just felt like giving REmake a replay again after going through RE2... then I was possessed. But now I'm free again.

Forget how or when this site updates but hopefully it shows up here soon: https://psnprofiles.com/Xeogred
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

you are a beast, Xeo. Congrats!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

What was really cool about doing this is seeing how varied the scenarios are for each character. I was seeing cutscenes or alternate scenes with Barry/Rebecca etc that I never saw before. The events can be remixed around so much depending on how you traverse the mansion. Or the several points when and where Richard might die, haha. I also had no idea that Jill can get the shotgun for free... seriously... take the shotgun, then go back into the trap room and when you try both doors she freaks out... then Barry saves her! I think I always assumed you could only walk away safely after placing the shotgun prop for the real one. But nah, Barry will save her. Chris has it harder in every department, outside of having slightly faster running speed and more health.

Also saw how Rebecca dies to the Hunter in the office room on the second floor. It made me feel really bad haha, but by saving Barry/Rebecca you will have to deal with the second Tyrant fight on the helicopter pad, and I didn't want that for some of these speedruns/etc. It's not a cutscene or anything, you just see her dead on the floor with blood all over the walls... yikes. But it was cool to see her demise and how many paths this game takes. I think there's technically 5-6 different endings per character.

I feel terrible for Richard, he either dies from poison, gets eaten up by a giant snake, or gets eaten up by a giant shark. :cry: :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So my first time through RE1 was with Jill on REmake, and not knowing any better I saw a shotgun and took it. The I got into this cutscene and got saved by Barry. Then later I find some broken shotgun item and realized I could have skipped that cutscene (but then I'd get the shotgun later).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Resident Evil 8 is real, and plans are "already in motion" at Capcom: Here's what we know so far

https://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evi ... ease-date/
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

So I finished RE: Rev2, other than the good ending being tied to something dumb that made me waste time getting it, really top game. Loved the way you were rewarded by using a weaker/defenseless character to explore. Just enjoyed it a lot.

The two DLC's however are utter trash. One reuses level sections to do a few "15 enemies remaining" and "finish in 5:00" style missions, the other reuses level sections to do "stealth missions". Don't waste your time with it, nothing new or exciting. Just watch the story related cut scenes to fill in a few gaps.