RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: The Racketboy Golf (Game) Club

by Tanooki Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:38 pm

I'll second that love for the 2nd release of the Golden Tee Golf game for the TV.

I've been fortunate to stumble into both cheap at a flea market out west a few years back. The first one, AVOID IT. It's not that the game works poorly or anything, but they cheaped out bad on it. In the supplied video above that's the final 2nd release and it's a great little game. It's better because...
- 4 player support
- Battery saving of entire shot/scoring/average history
- 3 courses (1 on the original)
- Practice Options
- Driving Range
- 18 or 9 (front/back) holes
- Challenge mode (unique tests of skill)

I don't remember everything though what the old one had, but I don't even think it had an option screen to mess with the calibration and the audio settings, it was overly basic. The only 'cheaped' feeling is that it uses some pretty lower pixel quality graphics for everything in game play that it almost clashes to the smooth stills used in all the menus. Trackball on the thing is excellent and the buttons of the thing have a good arcade feeling.

Also they're full of crap joking about the batteries lasting like 15min or whatever. I've had the same set of 4 in there a very long time and it sips power, doesn't chug it.

That said game cart wise...nothing beats Mario Golf GBC, second to that I prefer the old N64 Mario Golf too over their next gen counterparts where more ended up being less(fun.)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:32 am

Awesome thread. I love golf games. Been playing 36 Great Holes on and off.

And holy crap there are golf plug n plays?!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:41 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Swingerz Golf (NGC) and MecaRobot Golf (SNES)? I am intrigued by both, but I have not spent much time with either of them.

Mecarobot Golf is absolute ****. Might be fun just to look at but there's no real value to it whatsoever. Stick with Hole In One.

I want to try Swingerz Golf too.

As for Golden Tee, I carry one of those Express Check In cards, but I haven't found a network connected machine in ages. Another good arcade golf game back in the day was Midway Skins Game.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:53 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Awesome thread. I love golf games. Been playing 36 Great Holes on and off.

And holy crap there are golf plug n plays?!

Yup Golden Tee, and if you like golf using a trackball that works pretty much like the arcade cabinet, you have to get it, at least that second version with all the added stuff and saved data.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Has anyone played Vertiginous Golf on steam? It looks like Hotshots Golf meets M.C. Escher design in the air.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:27 pm

I had no idea they had TV versions of Golden Tee.

The first one was made by Radica in 2006, of note that it was developed by FarSight Studios of Pinball Arcade fame. Didn't look all that good with just overhead views instead of straight ahead perspective.

The second one from Jakks Pacific looks a lot better, based off the more modern version of the arcade game, and has the straight ahead perspectives.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:42 pm

How are the various mini-golf games on the Wii? I see them all the time, but I have never tried any of them. (I have not even tried my $1 copy of King of Clubs.) If they are pretty good - and not too expensive - I may have to consider adding some of them to my collection.

Currently, Wii golf collection consists of:

King of Clubs
Super Swing Golf!
Super Swing Golf! Season 2
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '12: The Masters
We Love Golf
Wii Sports

Other than the annual Tiger Woods games, am I missing anything?

Also, how is John Daly's ProStroke Golf (PS3)? The only golf game I have for my PS3 is Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds, and I am always intrigued by "one-off" golf games.

Finally, how is Real World Golf (PS2)? Do you need the special accessory to play it?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:09 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Finally, how is Real World Golf (PS2)? Do you need the special accessory to play it?

I was actually going to inquire about something similar. Except in my case I have the GameTrak but not the game. :lol:
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:33 pm

So, regarding the Golden Tee plug 'n play version.

Is this the one that is considered the better one?
http://www.amazon.com/TV-Games-Deluxe-Golden-Tee/dp/B004S572PE

I might have to grab one if that's the case, they're only $15!

prfsnl_gmr wrote:How are the various mini-golf games on the Wii?

Carnival Games Mini Golf isn't bad. However, if you're decent at games you will figure out sooner rather than later to become perfect at it to the point that it becomes boring. It's definitely geared towards children. It's probably the best mini golf if you are looking for that though.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:12 pm

FerretGamer wrote:So, regarding the Golden Tee plug 'n play version.

Is this the one that is considered the better one?
http://www.amazon.com/TV-Games-Deluxe-Golden-Tee/dp/B004S572PE

I might have to grab one if that's the case, they're only $15!

That's the one. Was a big holiday push four years ago, they seem to have a lot of stock left over. Good price.
Return to Other Genres