RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What horror game are you playing?

by Xeogred Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:10 pm

I beat Downpour Ack, I'll definitely be curious to see what you think if you get around to it sometime. You liked Homecoming, but I can't see much reward in that one for me... on the other hand, Downpour gave me that good feeling when I completed it. I thought the story/characters were really top notch, but the game falls short in a lot of mechanical ways. It simply feels very rushed, low budget, and incomplete. But overall, I think it was worth a run. Perhaps my favorite final boss design/fight as well in the series.

Full thoughts here:
viewtopic.php?p=914013#p914013
Ack

by Ack Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:19 am

Haha, wow, that was quick. I thought you were still playing Fatal Frame 3. How long did Downpour take you to beat? I might track down a copy soon. The only issue is, I've actually got quite a few other horror games I own that I finally need to play through... Maybe in October I'll boot them up and start giving them all a whirl.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:47 am

I gave it back to my roommate so I'm not sure, but I think I was around 8-10 hours. I think it has potential to be 15-20 even, but yeah. If the running was faster, enemies weren't a bore, and the game didn't stutter as much at times, I would have been more motivated to do the side quests. It was very cool to have Silent Hill be a bit more open, but it just had a lot of problems on the side.

I almost wonder if it's a 7/10 now though. I was looking up some non commentary videos last night of parts to show bruno (don't think he'll ever play it), and yeah, those otherworld moments were just so damn cool and the ending was great. It was rewarding in the end.

THE OTHERWORLD IS TRYING TO KILL YOU!!
Ack

by Ack Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Hmm, interesting, but at the same time that was one of the my least favorite parts of Silent Hill 3...

Eh, I'll give it a shot sometime.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:21 pm

There honestly seems to be a lot of horror-esque games on the Wii... interesting.

I think I'm near the end of Resident Evil Zero and kind of glad. It's been fun and has aged incredibly well visually just like REmake, but yeah. I am completely okay with the two characters thing... but no item boxes? I think that's what hurts it a lot for me. Gets really tedious having to backtrack a lot and drop items, etc way way more than the others. Item management was never a bother in the other games for me, so it really brings to light how nice it is to have those universal item boxes that always have everything you put in them. I've never really liked the train that much either.

I used to knock on Code Veronica as my least favorite of the classic formula styled games, but I might have to put that one above this one.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

by Snatch1414 Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 am

Xeogred wrote:I used to knock on Code Veronica as my least favorite of the classic formula styled games, but I might have to put that one above this one.

Interesting. I think Code Veronica is the only classic RE with more than an average story so I put it up pretty high.

As for Zero, I thought it was an inoffensive extension of the series that you could take or leave. If you couldn't get enough RE at the time it served its purpose even though it didn't really do anything special IMO.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:33 pm

I'm going through REmake again, Wii version (controls nicely with the classic controller). Having a blast.

I must openly admit... I have never beaten Chris' campaign before. I'm going through Jill's again and might wait to check out the HD port and go through again with Chris. It'll be interesting to see the minor differences.

So instead of replaying more Resident Evil or Silent Hill afterwards, I was thinking maybe I'll hit up Parasite Eve 2. Any thoughts on that one? I never beat the first one, but I can't say I cared enough about the plot so I don't think I'll feel bad for skipping it to check out 2. I've just known that 2 is more blatant RE styled, which sounds cool to me.

There was a lot I liked about the first game though. Looked nice, amazing music and vibe, etc. Honestly I'm not even sure why I stopped, but I do think I remember the gameplay was kind of boring and the sphere thing just made me want to play Vagrant Story instead... lol

I've never beaten the Fear Effect games either. Only tried out the first one, but I remember it having a ton of "oh, I had to do that?" moments and got frustrated. Just bad design in a lot of parts or something. I don't know, it's been ages so maybe I just sucked at it before I got more familiar with the RE style. Are they worth another shot?
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:51 am

Started playing Corpse Party on PSP this evening. Pretty disturbing so far, and I'm only through Chapter 1.
wclem
Next-Gen

by wclem Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Is Manhunt 2 on the Wii worth a play?
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Ack

by Ack Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 am

wclem wrote:Is Manhunt 2 on the Wii worth a play?

The Wii port of Manhunt 2 is perhaps the most notorious version, as you have to use the Wiimote to perform some of the actions, such as strangling and stabbing people.
Return to Other Genres