What horror game are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What horror game are you playing?

Post by noiseredux »

Been meaning to play Obscure for years. Looks like 90s teen Kevin Williamson horror stuff.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

TEKTORO wrote:Obscure is a must if you like B-grade campy horror style, it's so bad it's good kinda stuff but more on the good side! Tough games too but worth the plot and setting. It was one of rare coop horror titles at the time so it had that going for it as well. If you love horror games definitely check out Aftermath as well.

That's basically what I was wanting to hear. I've been hoping for Silent Hill meets Until Dawn haha. I'll definitely check out the second one if I dig it.

I guess I should also mention that I'm playing SOMA right now and loving it. Existential transhumanism horror in a video game... pretty unique. I guess I'm starting to warm up to these non-combat styled adventure/horror games, but I definitely have to be in the mood for it, so I'm making progress a bit slowly. Visually it looks way more impressive than I expected coming from the Amnesia guys, assuming they're a smaller studio.

I don't know if I'll ever get through the original Amnesia though, the visual effects in that one really bug me. SOMA still has some of it, but it's not nearly as disorienting. Still not a huge fan of those elements though. I don't think A Machine for Pigs had much of that, which I was able to finish and really enjoyed that one.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Considering your stance on Amnesia, have you tried the Penumbra trilogy yet? I enjoyed them when I gave them a whirl.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Went ahead and ordered Obscure for the Xbox since some new decent prices popped up, made sure with the seller that it includes he original case/manual too. It looks pretty cool so I'm excited to see how it is.

I've attempted to play through the original Obscure twice. Both times I ended up dropping it, because the game is badly balanced. Obscure does however have nice graphics and decent atmosphere.

However, I enjoyed Obscure: The Aftermath more than the first Obscure. It was fun enough that I finished it. Even better graphics and proper balancing made Aftermath the better game. (I played through the PS2 version of Aftermath, I don't think there was an Xbox version of it.)

Here's a horror game I think is underrated, and is available on Xbox:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ah, Cold Fear, the poor man's Resident Evil 4. I don't mean that as an insult, it's like a combination of RE4's ideas mixed with the pre-RE4 style in a knock off manner reminiscent of Carrier or Extermination. It's worth checking out.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

While Cold Fear doesn't compare to RE4 (and let's be honest, in the action survival horror world, not much does), Cold Fear has some unique ideas and scenario designs that make it more than just derivative potboiler.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exactly. So did Carrier and Extermination. In fact I have always wondered if perhaps Capcom employees went back and found inspiration from them, such as Extermination's targeting system and weapon modifications, or Carrier's taser weapon and ability to use infrared from a first person perspective.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Swery helped make Extermination, so I'm not surprised you liked it Ack.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:Swery helped make Extermination, so I'm not surprised you liked it Ack.

Seriously, it's got some rough edges, but I don't think Extermination should be missed. Nor Cold Fear.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Ack wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Swery helped make Extermination, so I'm not surprised you liked it Ack.

Seriously, it's got some rough edges, but I don't think Extermination should be missed. Nor Cold Fear.

Not horror but another Swery to not miss Spy Fiction!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.