What horror game are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Re: What horror game are you playing?

Post by Ack »

Carrier is just a poor man's Resident Evil. Silent Hill 0rigins is ok in my opinion and has some interesting enemies designs, but you end up with so many weapons things get a bit ridiculous.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I can definitely endorse Origins, specifically if you just simply like the game design and style of the first main three games since it plays just like that. Still has some fantastic music as well and some pretty twisted stuff story wise. It's by far my favorite of all the weird post SH4 sequels we got from other studios...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOJkDvegGbY

Shattered Memories = garbage
Homecoming = bad
Downpour = great story/characters but horrible budget/gameplay

Origins admittedly plays it pretty safe compared to these, but that saved it.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Xeogred wrote:Shattered Memories = garbage
Homecoming = bad

I agree with you completely on Downpour and Homecoming, but we DEFINITELY differ on Shattered Memories. That one's actually my favorite of the series save for the original. Aside from a couple of areas that got me lost with nearly identical looking hallways and such, I thoroughly enjoyed the different focus (atmosphere vs actual enemy encounters) and storytelling in Shattered Memories.

Then again, I'm that guy who loved Duke Nukem Forever and Devil's Third, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Well, my SH views are probably perplexing to some as well. I fucking love SH4 and I think, if it had a few changes I could break down (no inventory limit like the originals, only go back to the apartment at planned intervals, and saves in-levels... bing!), it may have challenged SH2 for me. The atmosphere, art direction, music (less banging noises and more atmospheric stuff to me), and the detective/mystery like progression of the story is mindblowingly good. And the story is so fucking bizarrely incredible, I wish I could find a movie even close to this stuff (outside of Jacob's Ladder). And having just played it a few years ago, it looks better than most 360/PS3 games out there... Team Silent were too good.

Haters gonna hate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJi3AkCkm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhoD9MUDts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLvbEsYO2qE

SH2 is the best but it is so such a dark and personal journey I have to be in the mood for it haha. SH1 and SH4 are probably tied after that for me and are a bit "cooler" in that they're just dark as hell and so damn weird, twisted, and disturbing in the greatest ways ever. Words just can't express how awesomely creative these games were. I love SH3, but they jumped ship a bit with it being a bit too meta with itself to a comical degree and the religious elements of SH1/SH3 are the least interesting parts to me, outside of their ridiculously weird ideals of GOD and things like that. Heather is cool but SH3 definitely isn't as awesome as those three to me. The gameplay is basically perfection though.

And DNF is pretty good in my book for the record.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Shattered Memories = garbage
Homecoming = bad

I agree with you completely on Downpour and Homecoming, but we DEFINITELY differ on Shattered Memories. That one's actually my favorite of the series save for the original. Aside from a couple of areas that got me lost with nearly identical looking hallways and such, I thoroughly enjoyed the different focus (atmosphere vs actual enemy encounters) and storytelling in Shattered Memories.

Then again, I'm that guy who loved Duke Nukem Forever and Devil's Third, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

My question to you and Xeogred is which versions did you play? I've heard the PS2 and Wii versions actually differ fairly significantly, although I've heard both good and bad things about both. It is one of the more expensive Wii games I still need to track down if it is indeed good, right up there with Last Story and Fragile Dreams.

I also thought DNF was okay (not amazing, but enjoyable stupidity), so perhaps I'll keep an eye out for Devil's Third as well ;p
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I played on Wii. I love the shit out of my Wii, so if it got a version of the game, that's probably the version I played. Even Dead Rising and Call of Duty.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hey Elkin, you may have missed me asking on the last page - but you're planning to wait to play non-VR games on PSVR. Just wanted to make sure you had researched that that's something you can even do. Like, if I put on my OSVR headset and try to run a non-VR app... it doesn't work. It's showing you one screen super up close. Like pushing your face against a monitor. If the software doesn't split the image into two and put one in each eye, then you're not gonna be able to see anything. Y'know?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:hey Elkin, you may have missed me asking on the last page - but you're planning to wait to play non-VR games on PSVR. Just wanted to make sure you had researched that that's something you can even do. Like, if I put on my OSVR headset and try to run a non-VR app... it doesn't work. It's showing you one screen super up close. Like pushing your face against a monitor. If the software doesn't split the image into two and put one in each eye, then you're not gonna be able to see anything. Y'know?

Oh, is that how it is with PS VR as well? I was under the impression that it just duplicated the image for both eyes.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:hey Elkin, you may have missed me asking on the last page - but you're planning to wait to play non-VR games on PSVR. Just wanted to make sure you had researched that that's something you can even do. Like, if I put on my OSVR headset and try to run a non-VR app... it doesn't work. It's showing you one screen super up close. Like pushing your face against a monitor. If the software doesn't split the image into two and put one in each eye, then you're not gonna be able to see anything. Y'know?

Oh, is that how it is with PS VR as well? I was under the impression that it just duplicated the image for both eyes.

I have no idea how PSVR works. That's why I'm mentioning you should look into it if you're waiting to play non-VR games until you get it.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:

I have no idea how PSVR works. That's why I'm mentioning you should look into it if you're waiting to play non-VR games until you get it.

I was waiting based on this article.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/all-ps4-games-can-be-played-in-playstation-vr/1100-6435713/