What horror game are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What horror game are you playing?

Post by noiseredux »

ah, ok - that's a different story. Yeah you're all set then. I mean, I don't know how cool it's gonna feel to play a game with a virtual monitor floating in front of you vs. a real monitor sitting stationary in front of you. But yeah, you can in fact do what you're planning.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:ah, ok - that's a different story. Yeah you're all set then. I mean, I don't know how cool it's gonna feel to play a game with a virtual monitor floating in front of you vs. a real monitor sitting stationary in front of you. But yeah, you can in fact do what you're planning.

I don't know either. I made end up hating it. But I'm gonna try it out. It's not like I don't have a number of non-PS4 horror games I still need to play. Fatal Frame 3 and 4, Silent Hill Origin, Carrier, Blue Stinger, Dino Crisis 2...I'm sure I'm forgetting a handful of others.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Shattered Memories = garbage
Homecoming = bad
Downpour = great story/characters but horrible budget/gameplay

I agree with you completely on Downpour and Homecoming, but we DEFINITELY differ on Shattered Memories. That one's actually my favorite of the series save for the original. Aside from a couple of areas that got me lost with nearly identical looking hallways and such, I thoroughly enjoyed the different focus (atmosphere vs actual enemy encounters) and storytelling in Shattered Memories.

Then again, I'm that guy who loved Duke Nukem Forever and Devil's Third, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

My question to you and Xeogred is which versions did you play? I've heard the PS2 and Wii versions actually differ fairly significantly, although I've heard both good and bad things about both. It is one of the more expensive Wii games I still need to track down if it is indeed good, right up there with Last Story and Fragile Dreams.

I also thought DNF was okay (not amazing, but enjoyable stupidity), so perhaps I'll keep an eye out for Devil's Third as well ;p

Shattered Memories = PS2, and it was a lazy port. It was definitely made with the Wiimote in mind.

For the record, the Homecoming release on the PS3 (and 360 I believe) has broken options for inverting the camera. You can change them in the menu, but it does nothing. And it was too hard to patch apparently because it's been out forever now. So I had to play this entire game while trying to not look up or down since I play inverted. That certainly didn't help the experience. I think this can be modified on the PC version though through config files or whatever. But wow, way to fail on quality control.

Origins I played the PS2 version of and it seemed pretty polished and great.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've got Origins on PSP which, according to someone on here (I want to say it was Exhuminator?), is the superior version. Normally I'd go for the console version, but I found it on PSP way cheaper, so between that and the recommendation, that's the version I went for. Does anyone think it plays better on PS2?

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've got Origins on PSP which, according to someone on here (I want to say it was Exhuminator?)

PSP was the original development platform for Origins, the PS2 version was a port.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've got Origins on PSP which, according to someone on here (I want to say it was Exhuminator?)

PSP was the original development platform for Origins, the PS2 version was a port.

While I like being able to use the PS2 controller, there are some issues. The original release for PSP was said to have better visuals than the PS2 port. Some folks also experienced technical problems with the PS2 port, and there is no additional bonus content.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

So I've recently taken an interest in more obscure horror games - Calling for Wii, Obscure for Xbox, Cursed Mountain for Wii, Call of Cthulhu for Xbox, etc. What are some less mainstream horror games that you guys would recommend? Preferably cheap gems like Obscure, but gimme some pricier ones to put on a wishlist too.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:So I've recently taken an interest in more obscure horror games - Calling for Wii, Obscure for Xbox, Cursed Mountain for Wii, Call of Cthulhu for Xbox, etc. What are some less mainstream horror games that you guys would recommend? Preferably cheap gems like Obscure, but gimme some pricier ones to put on a wishlist too.

Call of Cthulhu is just insanely good. Read HP Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth and then play the game. The game enhances HP Lovecraft's best story, and IMO, it is the best horror game of its generation. The design is just perfect, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. (Be warned, however, it is a very difficult game.)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Have you played any of the Clock Tower games?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:Have you played any of the Clock Tower games?

I have not. What are they like?