What horror game are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Re: What horror game are you playing?

Post by Ack »

Point and clicks up until US Clocktower 3. You don't fight in them, you just run and hide, similar to Haunting Ground(which was supposed to be a Clocktower game originally). Now if you can snag them for cheap, Kuon and Rule of Rose are good. Unfortunately they are up there in price these days. Oh, and if you like Reside t Evil 4, the game Cold Fear is a poor man's version.

Now if you hate yourself, you could play The Ring: Terror's Realm for Dreamcast...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Nightcry is also connected to Clock Tower.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:Point and clicks up until US Clocktower 3. You don't fight in them, you just run and hide, similar to Haunting Ground(which was supposed to be a Clocktower game originally). Now if you can snag them for cheap, Kuon and Rule of Rose are good. Unfortunately they are up there in price these days. Oh, and if you like Reside t Evil 4, the game Cold Fear is a poor man's version.

Now if you hate yourself, you could play The Ring: Terror's Realm for Dreamcast...

The simple fact that it's on the Dreamcast is enough to sell me on it. Hell, I played that KISS FPS game just because it was on the Dreamcast.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Last edited by Exhuminator on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

What is The Void? Never heard of that one.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I just picked up SOS for the SNES.

It's not a horror game per-se but it does incorporate elements of surival horror. In this case based on disaster movies.

It's gameplay employs elements of Clock tower blended with Prince of Persia. You start out on board a crusie liner playing as one of four selectable characters each with a different story. After five in game minutes during which time you can wander the ship and interact with the guests the ship hits an iceberg and begins to sink. You then have 55 minutes of real time left to find survivors and get out. At this point the game reminds me of Dead Rising as you much choose who to save and who to leave behind each of which will effect the ending.

What makes it difficult is that as time progresses the ship begins to sink. Areas become flooded and the ship rotates in mode 7 in the water leading to you crawling along what used to be the wall with what was previously the floor above you!

If you get injured or suffer a fall then you lose 5 minutes of real time. The game has a great atmosphere and the real time one hour maxi time limit makes it a great game to play and try to progress in before bed. The branching paths and characters mean that no game ever needs to be the same twice.

Very inventive stuff and unusual for a SNES game.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:What is The Void? Never heard of that one.

The Void is an incredibly difficult game to describe. It's super unique and definitely freaky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Void_(video_game)

----

@Betagam7

SOS is a cool game, pretty challenging too.

I'm waiting on my coffee to get done brewing. So I'll post some lesser known SNES/SFC horror games worth checking out:
SNES:

(Has horror elements.)

(Ha ha or should I have posted Clock Tower instead?)

SFC:

Has English trans: https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=laplace

Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban (Has horror elements.)

Has English trans: http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=majuuou

Ghost Sweeper Mikami

Gegege no Kitarou: Fukkatsu! Tenma Daiou

Probably plenty more I'm forgetting, but coffee's done so I'm done.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

No, you should definitely post Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday. It's an entertaining platformer that slowly becomes more nightmarish as you play, eventually leading to Salvador Dali-inspired levels that are as bizarre as they are interesting.

There are also a few other licensed games based on horror properties:

Also Zombies Ate My Neighbors and its sequel, Ghoul Patrol, while not real horror games are still quite inspired by them.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Went ahead and ordered Obscure for the Xbox since some new decent prices popped up, made sure with the seller that it includes he original case/manual too. It looks pretty cool so I'm excited to see how it is.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Obscure is a must if you like B-grade campy horror style, it's so bad it's good kinda stuff but more on the good side! Tough games too but worth the plot and setting. It was one of rare coop horror titles at the time so it had that going for it as well. If you love horror games definitely check out Aftermath as well.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.