What horror game are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: What horror game are you playing?

Post by TSTR »

Man, I need to get back onto some scariness. Is Outlast freaky?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I watched my roommate play a good chunk, it definitely looked freaky. Reminded me a lot of Condemned, minus the combat.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

FF3 definitely seems different.

It's funny but I think the best comparison so far, is that it feels like it was maybe influenced from SH4, I noticed there's a year gap between the two so it seems plausible.

So far the game has been broken up a little with some small areas, one a "nightmare", and then it seems like a bit will be taking place at the main characters house. So this all feels similar to SH4 to me. A bit more notes and detailed text, more detective/mystery going on here. So I guess it's already setting itself apart from the other two, which is cool with me. The atmosphere and everything has already pulled me in and I have to say I really love how well 2-3 control. Already seen some nice nods and connections to the first two games as well.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

I've been a huge fan of Silent Hill since the first one and I just want to say I loved playing through Silent Hill: Shattered Memories......just not the running segments. Cheryl?? Cheryl? Are you Chery?? Hello fire hydrant...are you Cheryl?? Is this wall Chery?? The phone's ringing....is it Cheryl??

Anyway, as a long time horror fan, this thread reminds me that I've never actually played a Fatal Frame game. My sister used to make fun of them when they first came out, and made them sound really cartoony, so I just dismissed them, but it sounds like I'm missing out. Should I start at the first one? I could import 4 since I have a Japanese Wii now, but I'm not sure if the stories are stand-alone.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

So I gotta ask now that we have this thread... who's gonna spearhead "Together Horror" or "Horror game of the month" next year? :lol:
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Czernobog wrote:I've been a huge fan of Silent Hill since the first one and I just want to say I loved playing through Silent Hill: Shattered Memories......just not the running segments. Cheryl?? Cheryl? Are you Chery?? Hello fire hydrant...are you Cheryl?? Is this wall Chery?? The phone's ringing....is it Cheryl??

Anyway, as a long time horror fan, this thread reminds me that I've never actually played a Fatal Frame game. My sister used to make fun of them when they first came out, and made them sound really cartoony, so I just dismissed them, but it sounds like I'm missing out. Should I start at the first one? I could import 4 since I have a Japanese Wii now, but I'm not sure if the stories are stand-alone.

I wonder why she would say that. You play as cute girls? lol.

Nothing wrong with the first game other than a few nuisances, as to be expected from any game really though. I don't see any reason to skip it. They all tie in loosely and are mostly stand alone games. But yeah, I say start from the beginning and work your way up through them. They all seem like they'll end up being solid all around, might be more consistent than RE and SH in the long run!
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Xeogred wrote:I wonder why she would say that. You play as cute girls? lol.

Nothing wrong with the first game other than a few nuisances, as to be expected from any game really though. I don't see any reason to skip it. They all tie in loosely and are mostly stand alone games. But yeah, I say start from the beginning and work your way up through them. They all seem like they'll end up being solid all around, might be more consistent than RE and SH in the long run!

I think it was the "novelty" of using the camera that made her think less of them, but I'm really not sure. I think it seems like an interesting mechanic. Thanks! I'll start at the first game and work my way through them then. Even being loosely tied together makes me want to start from the beginning. The games have been officially added to my get these games list.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I've been playing Harvester lately. I love the weirdballs 1950s style and FMV awfulness. It's like a b-movie horrorshow with some off-the-wall ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIToXkiJU-8
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ack

Post by Ack »

Omerta wrote:So I gotta ask now that we have this thread... who's gonna spearhead "Together Horror" or "Horror game of the month" next year? :lol:

While that might be pretty fun, I don't know how long such a thing would last. After a year or so, we'd be doing stuff like Countdown: Vampires. Ooph.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I still want to try that one... lol.