The NHL '94 Racketboy Tournament

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

The NHL '94 Racketboy Tournament

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

It has come to my attention that some people have shown interest in having an NHL '94 tournament, myself included, so I felt it necessary to get the ball rolling on some ideas on how to set up and run the tournament.

I am sure many of are asking, "How is this possible!?" Well boy sand girls, we are living in a new millennium where emulated games can be played on-line with others around you. That may sound like some strange science fiction, but trust me, it is real!!!!! Depending on which version of NHL '94 we use, depends on our method of playing online and it will take a few tests to see how well it works.

But let's get the discussion started shall we?

Format

What format should we play NHL '94 on Genesis or SNES?

Rules

Should we allow line changes, off-sides, manual or automatic control of the goalies?

Tournament Format

Should we play like a regular season? Or more like a play-off bracket? How will teams be chosen? Let's Discuss!

The real beauty of this is that when teams compete, you and your opponent can set up the time to play against each other. You aren't limited by a strict time to play, but that is negotiable!

I would also suggest using Hamachi for the on-line play, as that will be easy to use and work around having to do port forwarding to use specific emulator's on-line play functions.

But let's discuss!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The NHL '94 Racketboy Tournament

Post by noiseredux »

Would the sega cd version work?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

noiseredux wrote:Would the sega cd version work?

I'll have to test out how netplay works for the Sega CD emulation..but if so, I don't see why not! Gotta break out my copy and try!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:

I'll have to test out how netplay works for the Sega CD emulation..but if so, I don't see why not! Gotta break out my copy and try!

Outside of CD quality sound effects and organ music, etc, there is no difference in the game so requiring a physical or iso copy seems like a substantial barrier to entry.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

retrosportsgamer wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:

Outside of CD quality sound effects and organ music, etc, there is no difference in the game so requiring a physical or iso copy seems like a substantial barrier to entry.

It does work and there is another huge benefit and that is framerate. The game does play smoother, but you are right, acquiring an ISO and the like can br a hassle for some people. We could also, make the format be agreed upon by the competitors. Say for instance, I have the Sega CD version and so does Noise..we could just play it on the Sega CD for that match in particular?

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yeah. I'd rather play the physical sega cd version than a genny rom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Depending on how many people we get to sign up should determine how the the competition goes. If we have just a handful of people, we could do a round robin and determine from there a victor, or we could do a double elimination bracket so that people can at least get 2 games out of it.

Any thoughts?

What about the rules. I like having Offsides on, but a lot of people prefer offsides off. And line changes..should we worry about player fatigue? I don't want it to be too complicated for people to have to worry about. I want to try and get as many people in as possible

Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

I would prefer the SNES version. Started playing with the SNES9x emulator a while ago and really like it. Haven't had a chance to try online play with it yet though.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

There are also Genesis roms that have been tweaked to correct issues in the game or add more balance (I'm fairly sure they got rid of the fact that bad teams overall skated slower than other teams).

There's a bunch of stuff at nhl94.com that can help get you in the right direction.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Just curious why an iso is more of an obstacle than a rom?