Chain Reactions in Puzzle Games

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Chain Reactions in Puzzle Games

Post by nightrnr »

As the title says, this topic is for discussing chain reactions in puzzle games. "Chain Reaction" as defined by additional objects automatically cleared after initial move by careful planning or luck.
(Sorry if my definition is inadequate).
Example, in Columns you can match 3 gems and they disappear; and when the pieces fall into the vacant space, more matches of 3 or more gems can disappear,
...and so on until there are no more matches.

To start, I have 3 questions?

1. Did any exist before Columns?
2. Are there any that are not in the falling blocks sub-genre (I consider objects projected from the side or bottom as falling blocks).
3. What was your 1st Chain Reaction Puzzle Game? (mine was either columns or Dr. Mario)
-and/or what was the most influential for you (same answer for me).

Otherwise, post your thoughts about anything relevant.
...just another lost soul...
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Chain Reactions in Puzzle Games

Post by flojocabron »

super puzzle fighter 2 turbo!

I love how you can trash talk and have it bite you right in the ass.

Had too much fun with this game, and still now!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

flojocabron wrote:super puzzle fighter 2 turbo!

Yeah I figured this would be at the forefront for a lot of people. Definitely a classic.
I also like Baku Baku, which has a similar game structure. It just gets CRAZY with animal heads (the catalyst pieces) devouring the food blocks. Even the Game Gear/Master System releases were pretty intense.

Another one big in gamers' eyes is Puyo Puyo. I used to have a lot of fun with Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine. The increasingly ecstatic "Yipee"s! and "YeeHa"s! (depending on what side you are on) just put it over the top for me.
Then there's Tecmo Stackers, which has a near identical premise; and the pieces are so eager to touch each other :lol: .

I feel like I should also mention Tetris 2, which is super easy to cause chain reactions due to there being only 3 colors. It's quite satisfying in casual play. Actually, it's kind of similar to Puzzle Fighter as well (admittedly not as good).
It's also possibly the 1st puzzle game I played that had a "Puzzle Mode" (SNES version), in which you must clear the screen with a limited # of moves/blocks, usually with a huge chain reaction involved.
... or maybe my 1st "Puzzle Mode" game was Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon/Puzzle League. I can't quite remember now.

Finally, Yoshi's Cookie is a game that has aged fairly well. Chain Reactions were pretty straight forward in that one, but the pieces just came at you faster the fewer pieces that remained. Too often, you'd be screwed seconds later (on higher levels, speeds anyways).
Gotta love the 2-player mode in that one though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Puyo Puyo Fever is my Puyo of choice these days.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

My favorite is Bombliss. The goal is to strategically place bombs (4 in a box shape make a superbomb) to make your final move clear the whole screen. It's the most satisfying chain reaction game I've played.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

A good crazy chain reaction puzzle game is Battle Balls by Seibu Kaihatsu (arcade). In Japan it's known as Senkyu.

Chain reaction example here at 3:27
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

@Anapan
I have Tetris Blast for Game Boy. I liked what I played, but have yet to spend a lot of time with it. I'll make a point of it, as I threw it on my GBA Movie Player SD, as it is part of a modest list of GB games that it can actually load.

@ExedExes
Nice, thanks for the link. I may have to try that game.
Also, Battle Balls is an awesome name for a puzzle game :)

@noiseredux
So what's your system of choice for Puyo Puyo Fever?
I used to consider getting it for Gamecube, because I don't have a dedicated puzzler for that system (but then Mean Bean Machine is on Sonic Collection, so it almost seems redundant).
I will probably end up going the GBA route though.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

Magical Drop (Neo Geo) is my Wife's favorite, such a frantic puzzle game that I dont see how you could play with anything other than an arcade stick. Chain reactions are essential for getting high scores, and with that game have to be one of the most satisfying (next to Puzzle Fighter)!
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I kill mike in magical drop v with a 360 pad... just sayin