Adventure Game Book Club - Under a Killing Moon (Tex Murphy)

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Stark
Next-Gen

Adventure Game Book Club - Under a Killing Moon (Tex Murphy)

Post by Stark »

BogusMeatFactory and Stark present Adventure Game Book Club!! We're going to have to see how timing works for doing these, but let's put a soft timeframe of now until April 15th for going through the first entry which is:

Under a Killing Moon
Image Image

Get it on PC here: http://www.gog.com/game/tex_murphy_under_a_killing_moon

I think I can speak for BMF and myself when I say that the Adventure Game is one of our favorite genres and we'd like to experience some of these oldie but goodies together to spur discussion and have a good time. These games are very spoiler sensitive for those that haven't played, so please spoiler topics as appropriate and try and indicate, if you can, where you are in the game, so that players know whether it is safe to view the spoiler. I know this is difficult, so just do what you can. In the case of this game, the game seems to be broken up by "days", so if you know what day the spoiler pertains to, put that outside the spoiler.

This is the 3rd game in the Tex Murphy series, but the first one in this new 3D/FMV style. This game is definitely indicitive of "interactive fiction" of the time period and relied heavily on FMV as part of the storytelling. Movement and the interface in general is an interesting take on early 3D. Basically you move around the world by moving your mouse in the cardinal direction you'd like to move. You then freeze the camera by hitting spacebar where you can then move your mouse to hover over objects and interact with them or interact with people.

The story is sci-fi mystery, set in post WWIII San Fransisco 2042AD, and the acting isn't as bad as you'd expect, it's actually quite good in spots, although it has some goofy green-screen and the occasional terrible (Resident Evil-style) actor. The opening narration is by James Earl Jones, how bad can it be right? Anyway, if a sci-fi noir mystery with lots of glorious FMV and typical adventure game tropes sounds like a fun romp to you then join us in the discussion!

Also, feel free to PM BMF or myself (or both) with suggestions for our next game. GAME ON!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Adventure Game Book Club - Under a Killing Moon (Tex Mur

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Well let me be the first to say, I am loving this game. This was during the time of FMV adventure games and a lot tended to fall victim to a slew of horrible acting, horrible story and horrible puzzles.

Although you can not laud the title for its acting, it does mix a level of wit and whimsy amidst the noir.

I never got into the Tex Murphy games until now (I know shame on me. I love Adventure games and FMV games and yet I miss the best of both worlds) and can safely say I was missing out.

Currently, I am on Day 2 and....

I am in the rich mobster's apartment attempting to steal back a statuette for a rich, mysterious and beautiful woman. This is the first place that I experienced death, so it does happen and save often! I have yet to see where the story is going, as things have been pretty self contained on a case-by-case basis, but I am curious to know where the story will take me.

Honestly, how could you not love the bumbling detective Tex Murphy. His tall, lanky, awkward demeanor reeks of charm!

The only gripe I have had with the game is not necessarily the fault of the game, but a fault of the genre. Missing clues, or items can cause a lot of backtracking and searching. Luckily, the hint system alleviates some of that pain so that when I know I am missing a piece to the puzzle, I can easily look to that for help in where to go.

I have only had to rely on it once, but it is crucial to keep the gameplay flow nicely.

Also...any game that has a haiku is a winner in my book....even more so when it deals with Tacos.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Awesome! Totally agree about the charm of the main character. I played last night and only got a bit into Day 1 (I started late as I was finishing out Cognition) and I'm looking forward to reading your spoilered bit. As you say you can't laud the title for it's acting, but some of the actors are really quite good for the time.

The movement and search methods take some getting used to, you can't adjust the pitch of the camera up or down as far as I can tell and the stop and go of searching is different. The dialogue tree seems a little revolutionary for the time too or am I crazy? Answering based on mood indicators seems like this might be one of the first instances?

Anyway lots to like here and I don't even think I've found the main mystery for the game yet. :)
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Stark wrote:Awesome! Totally agree about the charm of the main character. I played last night and only got a bit into Day 1 (I started late as I was finishing out Cognition) and I'm looking forward to reading your spoilered bit. As you say you can't laud the title for it's acting, but some of the actors are really quite good for the time.

The movement and search methods take some getting used to, you can't adjust the pitch of the camera up or down as far as I can tell and the stop and go of searching is different. The dialogue tree seems a little revolutionary for the time too or am I crazy? Answering based on mood indicators seems like this might be one of the first instances?

Anyway lots to like here and I don't even think I've found the main mystery for the game yet. :)

You can look up and down. This was back in the day when people used the arrow keys for movement, so you can pitch up and down with the up and down arrow keyes...also you can raise and lower yourself by pressing alt to crouch and shift to rise.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:You can look up and down. This was back in the day when people used the arrow keys for movement, so you can pitch up and down with the up and down arrow keys...also you can raise and lower yourself by pressing alt to crouch and shift to rise.

Thanks for this, man it's really archaic feeling. :?

Played some more into Day 1, I can tell I'll be looking at hints for expediency although I haven't yet.
Got the CC app mailed off and the dumpster diver showed up in Rook's alley, I had to turn it off there, so we'll see what he has to say about the theft.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Had to start over, otherwise I'm not gonna be able to play. I'm staying at a place away from home for the next few months and can't bring my PC, so I installed this on my laptop and I'll be working through it there!

In the meantime check out this new video of Tesla Effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBVg_UGFlPM
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Hey that is okay stark, since I know that you have a lot of things going on. I just wanted to point out that GOG has adventure games 70% off including the Tex Murphy games, so check it out HERE!!!