Let's talk about Virtual On

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Let's talk about Virtual On

Post by CRTGAMER »

fastbilly1 wrote:I have yet to find a good way to replicate the controls for a cheap price, my last attempt was using NES Quickshots (since I had two of them on hand) hacked up to an arcade control interface. I might try that again since I really enjoyed VO on the Saturn and on the PC.

I have thought about buying a cab a couple times, since they pop up for a decent price locally.
I remember playing the Arcade Cab, very sweet. You could mod a Two Player Arcade Stick, works great for the Virtual On console versions that use the DPad and Face buttons as the sticks. Any Mame emulated version on the PC should also work with a USB adapter.

General_Norris wrote:This series looks really, really fun. So tell me. How should one play it? I've wanted to try them out for a while but I haven't so far.

I'm told they remade the game for their Sega Ages line and it has better graphics. Unfortunately, being a PS2 game, getting the controls right may be difficult.
I use a modded Blaze Twinshock with the PS2 Sega Ages Virtual On, works beautiful.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

CRTGAMER wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:I have yet to find a good way to replicate the controls for a cheap price, my last attempt was using NES Quickshots (since I had two of them on hand) hacked up to an arcade control interface. I might try that again since I really enjoyed VO on the Saturn and on the PC.

I have thought about buying a cab a couple times, since they pop up for a decent price locally.
I remember playing the Arcade Cab, very sweet. You could mod a Two Player Arcade Stick, works great for the Virtual On console versions that use the DPad and Face buttons as the sticks. Any Mame emulated version on the PC should also work with a USB adapter.

How does it work great? You need to hit the attack and dash buttons while moving and you cannot with that setup.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

fastbilly1 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:

How does it work great? You need to hit the attack and dash buttons while moving and you cannot with that setup.
Agree, a trigger on each stick would be better. For the Blaze Twinshock, Left Hand Thumb and Right Hand Pinkie to hit the buttons next to each stick.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

is virtual on still worth playing? i feel like mech games do not age very well.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

MrPopo wrote:Everyone is also forgetting Virtual On Force, which until a few years ago was an arcade-only release. The main change with Force is it's 2 on 2 battles. A 360 port was released a few years ago in Japan, but the game is region free.

I'm not forgetting it. It's kind of slow and bleh. I didn't care much for it anyway. I don't feel like it's a good place to start at the very least.

Violent By Design wrote:is virtual on still worth playing? i feel like mech games do not age very well.

Well it depends on how you define, "mech game," it's not a monolithic genre where every game with mecha has the same type of gameplay.

Virtual On can best be defined as a projectile-based tournament fighter. Or something...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Yup, played both. Also have VOOT on the DC (disc only, sadly) Temjin is the one! Wish the final boss wasn't so hard, only beat it with Temjin and Grys-Vok (Belgdor's "upgrade" in VOOT)

I think the DC controller works ok with it, except that certain powerful versions of moves are only accessible by pressing a dash trigger and an attack button at the same time, which can cause the timing to not be right, especially with the "middle" button attack.

The series music cannot be denied, either.
Last edited by ExedExes on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The 360 also has a hidden gem of sorts called "Senko no Ronde," which was released as "WarTech: Senko no Ronde" in the west.

It's like taking Virtual On and crossing it with a top-down shmup. It's really interesting and costs about as much as a McDonalds meal.

I'd encourage any Virtual On fan to check it out, especially if you also like shmups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icf6lPiPyFc

ExedExes wrote:The series music cannot be denied, either.

Damn straight: Into the Crimson: Unholy Cathedral Stage