RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Re: Watch Dogs delayed till 2014

by Frag Mortuus Wed May 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Frag Mortuus wrote:I'm going to side with Dave. Vista was a horrible mess at launch, but has since been patched and updated to removed the errors and stabilize it. I ran Vista for years and had absolutely no problems out of it. I only upgraded to 7 because I got a free Professional code back in college as part of the Computer Science program.

Windows 8 is actually a great OS with the exception of the User Interface. I hate the Metro UI. It is probably great for tablets and for Surface, but for a desktop or laptop without a touch screen, it is completely counter intuitive. However, it is stable and has so little overhead that it runs better than any OS, not by much, but it is a small OS.

While some bugs and security issues were patched, it is still inefficient and slower.

I agree Vista is extremely inefficient with memory usage, which in turn makes it slower, if you're using an older machine. I remember when I was using nearly 2gb of memory sitting idle. Which at the time 4gb was considered a ton of memory, so Vista was using approximately 50% of your system memory just to exist. Now, 7 uses nearly the same amount of memory as Vista, but PC's are being built with more memory because it's super cheap now. I have 12gb in my PC.

I never really thought it was all that slow in real world use though. I didn't think my PC was any slower running Vista than it was when I was using XP. Perhaps marginally slower, but not extremely so.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
flex wood
Next-Gen

by flex wood Wed May 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Stark wrote:Holy crap! Right-clicking on the Start icon is awesome. Thanks, isiolia.

Yes it is. Almost every complaint I've heard about 8/8.1 has been about not being able to find something that would be solved be right clicking start. They should really tell people to do that the first couple of times the computer boots or something.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed May 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Most of the way through Act II now probably 6-8 hours in.

Noticing another issue with the game the AI is plain horrible :P. If they see you their alert bar starts to fill up but as long as you get in cover they don't even walk over to investigate :P. Same goes for bodies you can leave one out in the open and they will just come over and look at it for a second or two then continue on as if nothing is wrong.

The Citizens are just as bad leave a vehicle parked in the road or cause an accident and the intersection will immediately start to clog up. Had a funny moment yesterday when I decided to waste a few minutes causing chaos. Just kept shooting the tires out of every car as it went by. About 10 minutes later 30 cars were piled up in front of me and not a single person had called the cops because.... I was using a silencer :P.

If that weren't enough you can solve most missions simply by camera jumping. In other words just walk near the area hack a camera and hop around all the cameras at the site till you have the information you need :P. Game was designed so that you could easily do this and it fits with the whole super hacker theme but it completely drains all difficulty out of any mission.

The only missions I have had trouble with involved forced shoot outs and that was only because I had only invested 1-2 skill points into my weapon skills :lol: .
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed May 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Windows 7 64bit upgrade successful :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 28, 2014 8:53 pm

dsheinem wrote:Windows 7 64bit upgrade successful :)

Achievement Unlocked: Best OS Ever
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed May 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu May 29, 2014 12:29 am

Been playing around with Shadow Play a bit will post some videos up tomorrow.

Edit: Here is a short one that will give you a pretty good idea of how intelligent the AI is. If you know how to use a cover system at all this game is insanely easy AI cannot detect you unless you stay in the open for multiple seconds and they don't seem to care if people are dropping like flies all around them :P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52FX69aTLrM
jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 am

Ok, I got this installed on monday night, had no issues at all with uplay or any authentication crap. The download took about 30 mins, and I was up and playing. I had expected to have rock solid frame rates, seeing as my pc is pretty much overkill (other than the video card, which is due for an upgrade)

My system is:
win 7 64 bit
i7 990X
24gb ram
AMD HD 6870

My frame rate is all over the place! I have spent more time with changing settings and testing, then playing the game at this point. If I play with vsync off, I get the best results (at the cost of terrible screen tearing) with my FPS averaging 70 or so, but with dips into the 30's, and as high as 90. With vsync on, it caps the game at 60 fps, but I get way more dips into low 30's. No settings are smooth at all. I even turned everything to low, and get the same results.

I would be happy if I could just get the FPS locked to 30 so the game would be smooth. It sucks jumping from 60+ to 30 when you hit something with your car. I have updated my drivers and it did not help. I have read a lot of people are having issues on PC, especially on AMD based cards. How is the game for everyone else, what specs, and what settings are you guys using?
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Thu May 29, 2014 4:11 am

I tried to crank it, but it just made the game chug. I moved everything to medium settings and it was extremely smooth.

This is pretty much GPU dependent. I have a Nvidia GTX560 2GB card. I'd really like to upgrade it soon ... but all the cards that are significant improvements are really beyond my price range. I'm not a fan of the idea of throwing down $400 for a GPU.

My CPU wasn't taxed at all while playing Watch Dogs on any setting.

I really didn't fiddle with it too much. I just wanted to see how the game played and looked.

Since then, though, I've been unable to login to Uplay at all. Which is starting to piss me off.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu May 29, 2014 8:04 am

apparently installing Windows 7 means I need to redownload Watch Dogs :x
Return to Other Genres