RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Watch Dogs delayed till 2014

by dsheinem Wed May 28, 2014 10:45 am

noiseredux wrote:The fact that you have used 7, and own an update disc, yet kept Vista for 6 years makes me question YOUR stability.

In fairness, I have tried upgrading to W7 64-bit with the disc but - per my post above - I hit a brick wall using both suggested methods and haven't been bothered to figure out a fix until, well, now.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Wed May 28, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm going to side with Dave. Vista was a horrible mess at launch, but has since been patched and updated to removed the errors and stabilize it. I ran Vista for years and had absolutely no problems out of it. I only upgraded to 7 because I got a free Professional code back in college as part of the Computer Science program.

Windows 8 is actually a great OS with the exception of the User Interface. I hate the Metro UI. It is probably great for tablets and for Surface, but for a desktop or laptop without a touch screen, it is completely counter intuitive. However, it is stable and has so little overhead that it runs better than any OS, not by much, but it is a small OS.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed May 28, 2014 1:03 pm

And they've changed a lot of the UI around again in 8.1, so you should upgrade to that when you get time Frag.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 28, 2014 1:07 pm

I don't think 8 is great. I have had so many issues with it. And attempting to upgrade to 8.1 has failed and wasted so many hours of my life. Including several hours this past weekend when setting up my Steam streaming box.

I agree it's stable, but also way too counterintuitive, and MS has gone out of their way to "hide" so many features either for fear of users tinkering or maybe they genuinely believe it's easier to use that way. I mean FFS I had to use Google to find My Computer on 8 over the weekend. 8 sucks.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed May 28, 2014 1:11 pm

noiseredux wrote:I don't think 8 is great. I have had so many issues with it. And attempting to upgrade to 8.1 has failed and wasted so many hours of my life. Including several hours this past weekend when setting up my Steam streaming box.

I agree it's stable, but also way too counterintuitive, and MS has gone out of their way to "hide" so many features either for fear of users tinkering or maybe they genuinely believe it's easier to use that way. I mean FFS I had to use Google to find My Computer on 8 over the weekend. 8 sucks.

Have you used search on Windows 8? If you use the magnifying glass on the right or if you're in the Start Menu and just start typing "My Computer" it comes right up. Apparently it is called "This PC" on 8, which why they changed that is anybody's guess.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Yeah... typing "my computer" confused me though as nothing called that came up. The name change... again unintuitive.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed May 28, 2014 1:31 pm

noiseredux wrote:Yeah... typing "my computer" confused me though as nothing called that came up. The name change... again unintuitive.

Calling it that makes more sense, I think. Not all computers that you might use are yours, and it'd further confuse things for some people if they were accessing a remote machine or data store. Searching for "my computer" does bring up This PC though (at least on the machine I tried it on).

The steps to put the icon on the desktop are the same in 8 as the were in 7 as well.

I usually just right click the Windows icon and choose File Browser anyway. Or make a shortcut to it on the taskbar.

They've been slowly changing things to be more acceptable with 8. 'course, like Vista, once enough changes are rolled out, and enough users are accustomed to it...it'll get rebranded to Windows 9, and probably be loved, despite being nearly the same as its patched up predecessor. :lol:
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Wed May 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Frag Mortuus wrote:I'm going to side with Dave. Vista was a horrible mess at launch, but has since been patched and updated to removed the errors and stabilize it. I ran Vista for years and had absolutely no problems out of it. I only upgraded to 7 because I got a free Professional code back in college as part of the Computer Science program.

Windows 8 is actually a great OS with the exception of the User Interface. I hate the Metro UI. It is probably great for tablets and for Surface, but for a desktop or laptop without a touch screen, it is completely counter intuitive. However, it is stable and has so little overhead that it runs better than any OS, not by much, but it is a small OS.

While some bugs and security issues were patched, it is still inefficient and slower.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 pm

isiolia wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Yeah... typing "my computer" confused me though as nothing called that came up. The name change... again unintuitive.

Calling it that makes more sense, I think. Not all computers that you might use are yours, and it'd further confuse things for some people if they were accessing a remote machine or data store. Searching for "my computer" does bring up This PC though (at least on the machine I tried it on).

The steps to put the icon on the desktop are the same in 8 as the were in 7 as well.

I usually just right click the Windows icon and choose File Browser anyway. Or make a shortcut to it on the taskbar.

They've been slowly changing things to be more acceptable with 8. 'course, like Vista, once enough changes are rolled out, and enough users are accustomed to it...it'll get rebranded to Windows 9, and probably be loved, despite being nearly the same as its patched up predecessor. :lol:

Holy crap! Right-clicking on the Start icon is awesome. Thanks, isiolia.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed May 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Frag Mortuus wrote:I'm going to side with Dave. Vista was a horrible mess at launch, but has since been patched and updated to removed the errors and stabilize it. I ran Vista for years and had absolutely no problems out of it. I only upgraded to 7 because I got a free Professional code back in college as part of the Computer Science program.

While some bugs and security issues were patched, it is still inefficient and slower.

Well I am gonna try Win 7 64 bit here in a few. Backing up the old C: drive now. Wish me luck.
Return to Other Genres