Watch Dogs delayed till 2014

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Watch Dogs delayed till 2014

Post by dsheinem »

well, sounds like I'm leaning towards a new build...which will mean there has to be some PC exclusive or game I MUST play on PC (e.g. HL3, BL3, maybe the new UT, maybe Doom 4, etc.) in order for me to want to dive in. I'll stick to PS4 and Xbox One in the meantime for something like Watch Dogs.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Basically my opinion when it comes to gaming PC builds is if it's 4-5+ years old don't bother upgrading it just start a new build. It will be cheaper to find new parts then tracking down older products that are most likely no longer in production and your less likely to run into compatibility issues with products produced around the same time. Plus if you invest in a new system and the performance of the final product doesn't meet your standards you can always upgrade it later just be sure to buy a motherboard that has plenty of room for expansion.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

dsheinem wrote:well, sounds like I'm leaning towards a new build...which will mean there has to be some PC exclusive or game I MUST play on PC (e.g. HL3, BL3, maybe the new UT, maybe Doom 4, etc.) in order for me to want to dive in. I'll stick to PS4 and Xbox One in the meantime for something like Watch Dogs.

Or just do it anyway, as you know you will need to upgrade. Then you can play the new games on the optimal platform. DA:I I am looking at you
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

Jmustang1968 wrote:DA:I I am looking at you

Dragon age: inquisition?
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

If you have no intention on doing it right away, I would recommend building a faux build, then keeping your eyes open for deals to give you a heads up when the best (cheapest) time to do it would be. Keep in mind, gaming isn't the only thing that would greatly benefit from a rebuild.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

flex wood wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:DA:I I am looking at you

Dragon age: inquisition?

Yes, that is correct
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

Dave what is your budget going to be?

The reason I ask is that Intel is supposed to launch Haswell-E in the second half of this year, which could technically be tomorrow. The bottom i7 is going to have 15mb of L3 cache, 6 cores, and run at 3.5Ghz (3.7Ghz turbo). It is going to support quad channel memory (up to 8 sticks) DDR4 memory (up to 2133Mhz), and PCI-e 3.0.

The CPU is going to launch around $325, memory may be around $150 or more depending on how much you want, motherboard will probably be around $300, 750W power supply will be around $80, a 120GB Solid State Drive will be around $100, GPU (if you want really high end like a Radeon R9 290 or Nvidia GTX770) $400, and a new case will be around $100. You should be able to reuse your old disk drive and hard drive for storage.

So a grand total could be around $1330. But, this will be bleeding edge technology and should honestly get you through at least 5 years. at the end of that 5 years you can add more RAM and upgrade to the newest GPU or grab a second card like the one you already have and upgrade to SLI/Crossfire and breath new life into your system.

The initial "investment" is steep, but you will get more life out of higher quality parts.

I'm running a first generation i7 (i7-920) which I bought at the end of 2009 and honestly I have no problem running any games. I have upgraded to 12GB of RAM, upgraded to an SSD, and upgraded my GPU's (I'm running two Nvidia GTX560 Ti's in SLI) over the coarse of the last five years, but even though my core system is 5 years old it still keeps up with recent systems. Watch Dogs is the first game that has ever given me trouble and by that I mean that I can't run it completely maxed out; I have to scale the graphics back a bit.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

I got to put some decent time into the game this weekend, and I am starting to have more fun with it now. I am enjoying unlocking all of the towers around the city, and I like how each one is a little puzzle.

The online is pretty fun also, the hacking of another player is pretty tense, getting the install initiated, and then trying to stay out of sight until it completes. The first one I did, I got the install going, then hid inside a parked car and watched the guy search all around to find me. Another I tried the same thing, but got found about 75% into the install and had to run, I was able to loose the guy and I still got the points, which I was surprised about.

The story missions are just engaging enough to keep me hopping to the next one. One thing that was mentioned earlier, and I have to agree, is that there should be some reward for not using guns or something, honestly, I keep forgetting I even have guns, because you can do so much without them, and the stealth is a lot more fun.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Tried to get into the MP a bit yesterday and it was fun when it worked. However I ran into a few problems some with the servers some with the rule set. First of the servers are very unreliable on PC and their wait times are way off :P. WAit times are always estimated at 2 minutes but end up taking 4-5 or timing out around 7-8 minutes. So far I have not been able to play a single game of decryption on PC the lobby search always times out without finding a match. I have however spent plenty of time in the 1v1 hacking and the race modes though.

In race mode I noticed that the maps were pretty stale there were very few hackable traps and the start of each race turned into a shoving contest. There also seems to be a lot of noticeable lag especially if you come into contact with a fellow racer their car/bike will sometimes stutter on the screen usually and you can even phase through an opponent occasionally :P.

The 1v1 hacking mode however works very well except for a few small issues. First of all the player being invaded can choose the location that the hacking takes place or even time out the invader by driving his car away before the hack can be initiated. This gives an extremely unfair advantage to the person be invaded. In one case I had a guy drive till the invasion timer was at under a minute. He then parked his car in the middle of an open area and waited with his sniper rifle :P since it takes a minute or two to hack them and there was no where to hide my choices were basically time out, or get immediately spotted and killed after performing the hack both of which could cost me hundred of exp points :P. The other unfair advantage for the defending player is the search zone gets really small after a while which usually result in a game of ring around the rosey around an object within the environment :P.

Another major issues that affects all games modes is the fact that you can lose exp points and bonuses by doing bad in a match. That leads to people flat out quit when they are doing bad because leaving early as far as I can tell results in a lose of 0 points. Just about every time I hacked a player and got to about 75% completion on the download there was a 50% chance the host would suddenly disappear and I would get a nice 0 points earned score sheet :P.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image