The early Armored Cores

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ghegs
64-bit

Re: The early Armored Cores

Post by Ghegs »

Well, I went ahead and picked up the first game for 15 bucks on eBay. We'll see how it goes.

TEKTORO wrote:I actually play Armored Core ala Steel Battalion style with the Sony Dual Analog joystick (SCPH-1110), Works amazing with Mech Warrior 2 as well. Master of Arena is a great package and must have as a AC fan.

Really, that works? So you control the mech with one stick and the aiming with the other? Armored Core's aren't listed as compatible in the controller's Wikipedia page.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Played some of the early ones myself back in the day, I've been curious to track them down eventually.

I've played probably half the games and am still partial to the original AC2 for some reason. I think it had one of the more challenging arenas, I remember getting through AC3 and AC4's easily in comparison.

Hoping to hit up 4 Answer and V sometime soon.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Ghegs wrote:Well, I went ahead and picked up the first game for 15 bucks on eBay. We'll see how it goes.

TEKTORO wrote:I actually play Armored Core ala Steel Battalion style with the Sony Dual Analog joystick (SCPH-1110), Works amazing with Mech Warrior 2 as well. Master of Arena is a great package and must have as a AC fan.

Really, that works? So you control the mech with one stick and the aiming with the other? Armored Core's aren't listed as compatible in the controller's Wikipedia page.

It's been awhile but I believe AC (it is compatible), MechWarrior 2, and Gun Griffon Blaze (PS2) all worked well with the Dual Analog joystick. Not 100% on right stick to aim but there were a bunch of configs I could of messed with for tweeking. Plus it gives the game more of a mech feel, really awesome.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Got the first Armored Core and played through it surprisingly fast. I really liked it.

I think I did the first ten missions without customizing my mech one bit, but when I noticed you can sell parts for the same price you bought them for I started spending a lot more time in the shop and garage. Excellent design decision there.

Overall I was really happy with the game, even if has some technical issues with the camera being stupid occasionally and controls being not entirely suitable for a fast, light mech that I ended up using mostly. The last mission, however, was a letdown. The ascension bit was annoying and Nine-Ball so strong I had to change my mech's configuration a bit to have some more AP. And even then I ended up needing to bait the bastard out, it didn't really feel like an epic battle when I was forced to hide in a corridor and take potshots...

Worse still, on the run that saw me through the last mission, Nine-Ball ended up killing himself with his grenade blasts. Both times. A big anti-climax right there.

Ah well. I'm doing the missions I missed out on during the proper playthrough now. I think I'll get Project Phantasma somewhere down the line, it's great how the later games allow you to import your old 'mech, though I fear it might make the latter games a bit too easy. Do the PS2 games also allow importing?
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Got Project Phantasma and Master of Arena now, and I breezed through Phantasma's story pretty fast. Felt more like an expansion pack than a completely new game, but I liked it. I even had fun with the arena battles, until the sub-20 rank matches where I got stuck because the computer flat-out cheats with Human Plus.

When playing AC1 I didn't want to get the Human Plus abilities, because I thought it would make the later games' missions way too easy. And I was right, even without them I didn't have any difficulties in Phantasma's missions, breezing past most of them on my first try with the 'mech imported from the first game. But the arena fights in Phantasma seem to be way too difficult without them, especially without the removal of Overweight. Would be easy to create a god-tier 'mech with that, sure.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I think some of the Armored Cores for PS2 let you import, but I'm only sticking with AC 2 for that system for now. I picked up AC V for the PS3 so I can import to verdict day but I think I would like AC verdict day better since you can create a team of AC's.

On a side note Chromehounds (360) & Murakumo (Oxbox) are in relation to Armored Core series some how I believe and made their way out of jpn which is neat.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.