The Evil Within

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: The Evil Within

Post by Reprise »

wclem wrote:
Reprise wrote:BTW, I can not do chapter 6 at all. I'm on the bit near the beginning where you meet up with Joseph and you have to fend off waves and waves of zombies whilst he tries to open the doors. Damn, it's hard :(

How I did it.......

Make sure you make good use of the barrels and use the bolts to knock them out of the window as they climb in

Thanks. That's basically what I'm trying though lol. I'm not sure how many rooms there are(?) but I just died in the second room the very second Joseph got the door open and said "let's go" :lol:

It's difficult. There's so many of them and I keep getting low on ammo.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

Reprise wrote:
wclem wrote:
Reprise wrote:BTW, I can not do chapter 6 at all. I'm on the bit near the beginning where you meet up with Joseph and you have to fend off waves and waves of zombies whilst he tries to open the doors. Damn, it's hard :(

How I did it.......

Make sure you make good use of the barrels and use the bolts to knock them out of the window as they climb in

Thanks. That's basically what I'm trying though lol. I'm not sure how many rooms there are(?) but I just died in the second room the very second Joseph got the door open and said "let's go" :lol:

It's difficult. There's so many of them and I keep getting low on ammo.

Make sure you are also crafting explosive and fire rods. They are very handy, I ignored the weapon early on.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

dsheinem wrote:
wclem wrote:
Gonna say it is the best ORIGINAL title they have put out on the PS4 yet.

What do you mean by this?

The only games I think have held up to this one are the remakes. No other game to this point has come up with a good story line with some compelling gameplay. The ports are great but nothing other than maybe Alien is as good. I tried the Shadows of Mordar, (pardon my spelling), it is ok but it does needs more RPG elements for my taste.

I would love to hear if you think anything else is on par that was not a port. I am not sure if you have played Evil Within yet, I do highly suggest it. Also, I do not count Destiny as I play for single player, and I have heard the story line in that is short and hampered by needing the upcoming DLC.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

wclem wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
wclem wrote:
Gonna say it is the best ORIGINAL title they have put out on the PS4 yet.

What do you mean by this?

The only games I think have held up to this one are the remakes. No other game to this point has come up with a good story line with some compelling gameplay. The ports are great but nothing other than maybe Alien is as good. I tried the Shadows of Mordar, (pardon my spelling), it is ok but it does needs more RPG elements for my taste.

I would love to hear if you think anything else is on par that was not a port. I am not sure if you have played Evil Within yet, I do highly suggest it. Also, I do not count Destiny as I play for single player, and I have heard the story line in that is short and hampered by needing the upcoming DLC.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

So I think what you mean is that you think it is the best story-driven single-player game that was released to the PS4 thus far (that didn't appear on another platform first). Have you played…

Wolfenstein: The New Order
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Infamous: Second Son
Killzone: Shadowfall
Watch Dogs

I don't know that any of those are any better, but at least the first two were pretty solid games in my book so I'd be curious to know how you'd rank The Evil Within compared to them...
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Destiny is a good game and one of my favourite experiences on the PS4 so far, but it is repetitive and does get boring. I also like Shadow of Mordor quite a bit, although I don't see what all the hype is about. It plays like a million other games that have preceded it and other than the 'nemesis' system, it brings practically nothing new to the table. Alien Isolation is pretty awesome too, although, again, has not blown me away.

Overall, there hasn't been a lot to really get over excited about so far on either the PS4 or Xbox One. We're still waiting on that real 'must have' true current gen title, in my opinion.

So, in regards to The Evil Within, like the other aforementioned games, it's not very original and does have its flaws. That said, I think I agree, it is one of my favourite original, new games on the PS4. I love Horror games and this harks back to the awesome Resident Evil 4, adding some of its own ideas. I love how damn twisted and unnerving the game is too.

@Dsh I'd consider it better than all those.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I should have stated that stuff in my first post.

But I have played most of those so:

Wolfenstein: The New Order - It was pretty good and I liked the story but it felt way too much like the last Wofendtein

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, you know, I have tried every one of these games and just do not like them so I will chalk this one up to bias against it. Also, what time I did try it made me feel like I was playing other games of the series with just story line changes.

Infamous: Second Son - Infamous again, was disappointed with the repetition in gameplay. If they would have more varied mission but this game was really wash, rinse, repeat. Sadly I did not finish it, it let me down.

Killzone: Shadowfall - It was Killzone, again. Only PS4 game of my collection I have sold off.
Watch Dogs - Poor mans GTA V, if I had never played GTA V I would have thought this was good. It did many things wrong that GTA got right. Also the story was pretty dumb.

I think the common thing here is lack of variety in my game. I am on ch 10 of Evil Within and I have tossed around in so many different ways. You never know where you are gonna end up or get put. Also, it offers a pretty decent challenge. No 2 chapters have felt the same. Admittedly there is a little bit of repetition but is does not detract from the game as I feel it constantly throws variety at you. The environments are awesome, and very creative. BTW, I read reviews and watched videos, but I did not love it till I played it.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

^It's like you and I are the same person :lol:

I agree with everything you just said.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Thanks for the thoughts, duders. I will be on the lookout for a good deal on this, probably before the year is out…
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Now that there are mods to properly put this game in 16:9 without ruining the pov I will probably get it soon
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yes! Finally did it!!! :D