Text Adventures

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Text Adventures

Post by Ack »

So do any of you guys still play these? Would you still recommend them to people today, or do you think modern advances in graphics completely remove the purpose of this genre? And what were some of the classics besides the Zork series?

I've recently begun looking into creating and designing my own text adventures, just to have fun watching my creation come together. But despite being exceedingly graphically limited, the expansiveness of the medium amazes me, since any setting or concept can be used as long as you are able to express it with the written word. Sure, what I am creating is simplistic when compared to the more ambitious text games, but I love being able to write my way through creation. It's a powerful feeling.

What do you guys think of this genre, and do any of your or would any of you sit down and play a text adventure in this modern era?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Text Adventures

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I think they're quite boring at this point. The original Hitchhiker's Guide one is good for a few laughs though.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

With all the games out there, i cant imagine playing a game with only text, i think id gone crazy, good for people who like to read?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Sure, I'd gladly play a text adventure, given I was in the right mood and all.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I really don't have any experience with any ones not made by Infocom. And in terms of playing more than 5 minutes, only Zork. But I think it does hold up pretty well. They are like point-and-clicks, but instead of pixel hunting you spend more time making maps of how all the areas connect.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

The Text adventures as in a book can add to the imagination if one can be patient with it. I think a limited audience due to more instant graphics in gaming available. A little offshoot, maybe program in Eliza. Try it on someone who is not big on computers and watch the reaction. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

AppleQueso wrote:Sure, I'd gladly play a text adventure, given I was in the right mood and all.

this. I'm actually really excited about playing Zork for TR as I've never touched that one.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Sure, I'd gladly play a text adventure, given I was in the right mood and all.

this. I'm actually really excited about playing Zork for TR as I've never touched that one.

Make a map. Stuff doesn't always connect in the ways you'd expect.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I've never played one for more than a couple minutes, but sure, I'd go for it.

I kinda have to be in the mood for adventure games in general anyway, so playing a text adventure isn't much of a stretch.

I have always intended to play The Hitchhiker's Guide game that Ryan mentioned, but I have yet to get around to it. I know there's a browser version out there.

And like Noise said, I'm in for Zork later this year.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

Make a map. Stuff doesn't always connect in the ways you'd expect.

Yeah, that's actually one of my biggest complaints about Zork. The map looks crazy once you finish it.