Planetside 2

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Planetside 2

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... e-2-review

It seems this type of MMO is best suited to groups. Still, good to know there's a decent F2P option out there.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Planetside 2

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Do you ever have anything to comment on yourself? Lots of link posting and no discussion. :?

Anyways I've been playing it for a few months now (Early Beta Access FTW) and the game is pretty darn fantastic. You need a beefy machine to run it well though. The large battles and huge draw distance can really bring a high end machine to it's knees on a high population server.

I love the fact that the game isn't filled with CoD-style bullet hose guns. It's much more akin to Battlefield in the way the weapons handle. Compensating for bullet drop as a sniper is always fun and cool imo.

In the end, I really only have two problems with the game. The shitty performance being one, and the gun unlocks being too expensive being the other. It's not a Pay to Win game by any means, in fact, after unlocking a few, I'd argue that the starting weapons are probably the best overall weapons, though it is a jack of all trades-master of none situation with them. I much prefer my single fire rifle and high fire rate machine gun for playing Heavy Assault, but, there's nothing really wrong with the standard loadout. Still, the weapons take forever to unlock, with the cheapest ones still being 100-200 cert points. As far as microtransactions, they're not bad. Cosmetic stuff and the ability to unlock weapons. You can't upgrade your character or your weapons with cash though, those are only achieved with in game certs you earn.

I play on Genudine as an NC. GoldfishRT

If anybody wants to romp around as part of the ADK outfit I can pull you into that too. :wink:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

I was a huge fan of the original game, I had no idea this was out, let alone free to play.

Is anyone playing? I'm downloading it right now and planning on check it out over the weekend.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

brunoafh wrote:I was a huge fan of the original game, I had no idea this was out, let alone free to play.

Is anyone playing? I'm downloading it right now and planning on check it out over the weekend.

Yup. I play. I'm on the West coast so I've been playing on the Genudine server, NC faction. I go by GoldfishRT
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Do they still have the shotgun pistol for the NC? I Betaed and played Planetside 1 for a large chunk of its existence. It was one of two MMOs I actually had enough fun playing that I decided to pay to play it (Earth and Beyond being the other). I havent had enough time to play 2, but if it is anything like the first, it is a heck of alot of fun running with a group.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

fastbilly1 wrote:Do they still have the shotgun pistol for the NC? I Betaed and played Planetside 1 for a large chunk of its existence. It was one of two MMOs I actually had enough fun playing that I decided to pay to play it (Earth and Beyond being the other). I havent had enough time to play 2, but if it is anything like the first, it is a heck of alot of fun running with a group.

It's a lot better than the first in my opinion. The amount of polish on the formula they now have is fantastic.

Really, since it's F2P, there's really no reason to not try it.
Last edited by RyaNtheSlayA on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Really, since it's F2P, there's really no reason to try it.

Recently bought a house and wont have internet at it for another week (when you dont live in a metro area they run out of slots on the only install tech quick). On top of getting the house setup.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey Ryan, I'm thinking about trying this out. I've got a lot of questions, but I figured I would get your opinion on starting out: which class do you think is the best to learn the basics with, or should I just pick what I think will fit my style and go from there?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Ack wrote:Hey Ryan, I'm thinking about trying this out. I've got a lot of questions, but I figured I would get your opinion on starting out: which class do you think is the best to learn the basics with, or should I just pick what I think will fit my style and go from there?

You should probably start with Light Assault but there's nothing really wrong with trying whatever class you think you'd like. I play as Heavy Assault and have certed into long-range oriented combat with it, which has worked out pretty well for me.

Finding an active Outfit is pretty much required to enjoy the game so get that sorted quickly too. It's pretty easy. Usually you can get an invite into one if you ask in public chat at a warpgate.